Register
It is currently Fri 23 Jun 2017 10:48 am

Worldmark Orlando: Resort Review with Pictures.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec 2005 12:06 pm   

We also stayed at the WM Orlando resort recently.

The 1BR unit we stayed in is slightly smaller than normal WM units, but was well-kept and had all the usual amenities except the washer and dryer. Complimentary washers and dryers are available at various common areas of these buildings.

Entrance to WorldMark Orlando

One of the 2 pools and the building that contains most of the WorldMark units (Gables is the name of this building)

Hot tub!

Courtyard between the "Gables" building and the pool

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2006 6:34 pm   

We stayed in a 1 BR unit at the Worldmark Orlando during Thanksgiving weekend in 2005. It is a great resort. Worldmark owns a few units at this resort while the rest is owned by the Crowne Plaza hotel/resort. The resort is managed by Crowne Plaza, and not Trendwest employees. Check in was extremely easy, and the front desk person gave us a list of activities available at and around the resort as well as information about the on-site restaurant. The resort grounds were immaculately maintained. I was happy to see the pool being open from 7 AM to 12 AM! There are two pools, at least one kiddie pool, and a large hot tub right outside the lobby building. Next to the pool is the workout room as well as men's and women's locker room. A sand volleyball court and tennis courts are available as well.

We took a quick peek at the on-site restaurant. It looked like a very classy one with elegant decor etc. Although we received a discount coupon for breakfast for next morning we did not eat at this restaurant.

The Crowne Plaza hotel has a large lobby/public area where WiFi is available for their guests. If you ask the person at the check-in counter, they would provide you with an access code that can be used to get on the internet. The Crowne Plaza hotel also has a 'Business Center' where one can access their computer, fax machines, copiers etc. at a charge. When I was trying to use the computer at the 'Business Center' I realized that the printer was broken. Since my main intent was to print my boarding pass, I abandoned the idea of using the machine here and walked to the checkin counter. The rep was extremely helpful. She accessed my itinerary and printed our boarding passes within a few seconds!

When we were checking in on Saturday night, we were greeted by an artist at the lobby. She was drawing carricatures and other designs on small cards and giving those to guests. She was also getting guests to make greeting cards and adding additional details on the guests' cards to make those look even more professional. Apparently it was another activity that was being sponsored by the resort for the enjoyment of their guests.

The unit was clean, however a bit smaller than units at other Worldmark resorts. It had a small kitchen that had a medium sized refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave oven, coffee maker, and dish washer. All the pots and pans needed for four people as well as the usual spices and salt and pepper were also available. The units do not have washer and dryer. A few washers and dryers were available free of charge in the laundary rooms on the second and fourth floors.

There is a queen bed in the bedroom and a sofa sleeper in the living room. The unit also had a full bathroom with a shower over tub. The furnishings and fxtures looked like they were practically new.

The resort is situated on the busy International Drive, almost next door to the Marriott Grande Vista resort. The entrance to Seaworld is just over a mile away. Restaurants and shopping as well as freeway access are just a few minutes away from the resort.

I would defenitely go back to this fun, friendly and fabulous resort when I visit Orlando next time.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2006 7:37 pm   

With all these glowing reviews I just have to chime in. The family (and mother-in-law :roll: ) went to Daytona and Orlando for a week total a year ago and I posted my reviews in the resort section.
I agree with many of the posts about the grounds (nice), furnishings (newer) and location (centrally), but this resort doesn't even come close to being as nice as Ocean Walk (Daytona).
Ocean Walk had large and comfortable rooms, outstanding pools (2 exterior, 2 interior, 1 kiddie) and spas (w/water slide and lazy river), 9 hole indoor putting course and ext. putting green. Never mind the nice beach right out the back door. Restraunts and movie theatre were right next door with a board walk, etc. real close.
Lets just say after 4 days in Daytona I'm really glad for the theme parks in Orlando or my kids would have been really bored.
These resorts are less than an hour apart so splitting your time up between them is easy. I would suggest you go to Orlando first so that you can rest up from walking around the theme parks on the beach. Also going from those cramped rooms in Orlando to the much roomier Ocean Walk will lift your spirits. JMHO

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2006 9:03 am   

Dennis, thanks. I am glad to hear about your very positive experience at our Daytona Beach resort. I hope to visit that one too, soon :)

Do you have any pictures of that resort you can share?

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2006 9:50 am   

kapish wrote:
Dennis, thanks. I am glad to hear about your very positive experience at our Daytona Beach resort. I hope to visit that one too, soon :)

Do you have any pictures of that resort you can share?

Just the ones of me laying around the unit naked. \:D/

Actually, I'm a dinasaur and don't yet own a digital camera. :shock:
I know. :roll: Yet they still let me post here. :?:

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2006 11:19 am   

Thanks Dennis for sharing.

My oldest daughter and 3 grandkids live in Florida and I have been looking to go visit. Your input has been most helpful.

Any thoughts on the best time of the year to visit? The last time I was in the Daytona area was near the end of the month of April many years ago. I remember it being stifiling humid and the Indian River was so stinky because of the green growth. I wouldn' t want to show up during hurricane season as I am a sissy at flying in clear blue skies.

WM: Bass Lake x1, Big Bear x16, Branson x4, Estes x1, Indio x16, Klamath x6, Las Vegas x29, LOO x1, Oceanside x67, Palm Springs x9, Reno x3, Running Y x4, Schooner Landing x1, Solvang x2, Tahoe III x 5, Yellowstone x1
Other: Cancun Resort x27, Marriot Waikiki x 3, El Conquistador x1, GPP x25, Grand Chateau x27, Marriott Buttes x2, Marriott Mesa x3, Palm Cyn Resort x23, HGVC X1, Heavenly x18, Hilton LV x1, Grand Sierra x1, Red Rock x1, Hilton Sedona x2, Pointe Hilton x3, Marriott Willow Springs x2
TS Owned: WM, Marriott G. C., MGV x 2, Palm Cyn Resort, Pac Mon x 2, Sundance, Heavenly Vy TH

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2006 11:50 am   

We were there in Feb. and it rained alot. The best time to visit this resost would probably be late spring or Oct/Nov. to get the best weather for the beach. With all the indoor activities they offer even winter time on BT would be worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2006 8:59 pm   

I've already posted a review of the Orlando resort from our trip there in 2004. What I'd like to re-iterate is how disappointed we were with the size of the kitchen/dining/main room. A three bedrroom should have more than 4 table chairs and two bar stools. One couch and an uncomfortable soft chair were all that we could sit on to watch TV together. Other than that, the resort was great!

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2006 11:50 pm   

DenMar wrote:
We were there in Feb. and it rained alot. The best time to visit this resost would probably be late spring or Oct/Nov. to get the best weather for the beach. With all the indoor activities they offer even winter time on BT would be worthwhile.

Our favorite time to visit Florida is Oct/November. It is still warm and the high humidity is gone. The Kids are back in school so the crowds are gone also.

It is also easy to book a 2-bedroom Marriott on Flexchange for only 4000 points. I would never stay in WM Orlando if I could get into a Marriott instead. I am not putting WM down but the Marriott's are better and take less points on Flexchange

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2006 11:34 am   

We just decided that we want to take the kids to Orlando instead of Anaheim. We've never been to Florida. How does this Flexchange work? Do I need to join II or RCI in order to do this? I cannot stand humidity and crowds so I'm thinking about going in October or November. Is that a good time to take advantage of this flexchange?
Thanks,
Cari

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2006 1:37 pm   

decari8 wrote:
We just decided that we want to take the kids to Orlando instead of Anaheim. We've never been to Florida. How does this Flexchange work? Do I need to join II or RCI in order to do this? I cannot stand humidity and crowds so I'm thinking about going in October or November. Is that a good time to take advantage of this flexchange?
Thanks,
Cari

You will find that other than holiday periods, a pretty good selection of flexchange opportunities exist year-round. You will need to join II for flexchanges (under 59 days) or RCI for instant exchanges (under 45 days). Personally, I prefer II because you have access to the Marriott's, Hyatt, and Disney Vacation Club.

As to October vs. November - I can just say that I went last October (15th through 22nd), and it was still somewhat warm and humid, but not too bad. The other issue with October is that it is still in the tail-end of the hurricane season - in fact, we flew home just before hurricane Wilma visited (though she did not impact Orlando much).

My ABSOLUTE favorite time to go is early December (I went Dec. 10-17, 2004). The weather was usually in the 60s during the day and Disney World was decorated for the holidays - it was beautiful!

I hope this helps - if you have any other questions, just let us know!

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2006 4:00 pm   

Tonya,
Thanks for your input. I'm leaning towards getting II. So if I want to go mid-November then I'll need to wait until approx. mid-August to start looking for flexchange opportunities? I guess that gives me enough time to get decent airfare from Seattle to Orlando. I've heard that you can't do Orlando in one week. How does that work with the flexchange if we want let's say 10 days? One final question...how exactly do I do a flexchange? Can I do it online or do I need to call? Oh, I forgot another question. I noticed that there is more than one Marriott. In your opinion what is a really nice resort in Orlando that I could possibly get in November using flexchange?
Thanks,
Cari

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2006 5:36 pm   

decari8 wrote:
Thanks for your input. I'm leaning towards getting II. So if I want to go mid-November then I'll need to wait until approx. mid-August to start looking for flexchange opportunities? I guess that gives me enough time to get decent airfare from Seattle to Orlando.

Yes - just make sure that you are within the 59 days - that way it only costs 4,000 credits. Booking it even a day early could be a costly mistake. For the exact dates - there is a reservation calculator as part of the Credit Manager software.

Your other option is to do a low-credit deposit. A 5,000 credit deposit should be able to pull any of the Orlando Marriott resorts. The disadvantage is that it will cost you 1,000 more credits per week. However, on the up side, you will have your reservation(s) locked in and then can start looking for airfare and tickets.

decari8 wrote:
Tonya,
I've heard that you can't do Orlando in one week. How does that work with the flexchange if we want let's say 10 days?

You would have to book 2-weeks - in my opinion, the best way is to have a slight overlap between weeks. For example, if you wanted to go November 6-16, you could book the first week from November 4-11 and the second week from November 10-17. Having these slight overlaps means that you won't have to deal with strict check-in and check-out times.

decari8 wrote:
I noticed that there is more than one Marriott. In your opinion what is a really nice resort in Orlando that I could possibly get in November using flexchange?

You can't really go wrong with any of the Marriott's. I know that several people really like Cypress Harbor, and Grande Vista is nice also. You also might look at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Pointe - both are very nice.

If you are not already a member of TUG, you might want to joing. It is only $15 per year and you will have access to their Resort Reviews database.

I hope this helps! You will have a great time in Orlando.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel (AKA Dr. Seuss)

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan 2006 7:28 pm   

If you want 10 days perhaps you could book your week and see if WM has 3 days before or after at either orlando or Daytona in Bonus time.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan 2006 10:35 pm   

:wave:

Last edited by surf rider on Mon 30 Jan 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.