It is currently Mon 16 Oct 2017 4:27 pm

Ko Olina Exchange President's Week 17

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2016 7:58 am   

Joined: Mon 06 Jun 2005 10:37 am
Posts: 16
Hi Everyone,
Looking for a little advice on what you would do. I have airfare booked to Oahu for Feb 17, 2017 for 2 Adults/5Kids. We really want to stay at Ko'Olina which is the only reason we chose Oahu over the other islands. We visited Ko'Olina when part of it was being built 10 years ago and vowed we'd return with the kids someday.

I've put in a Request First into II w/ a 3BR float hoping to get a 2 or 3 BR. Given it's President's Day week I'm not optimistic, but miracles do occur, and am trying to maximize my chances. Obviously, would like to do as cheaply as possible, but really need a large unit.

I'm interested in the collective advice of the board. Would you:
A) Wait it out for a few months and see what happens w/ II?
B) Add a 1BR to the float request now or some future date?
C) If 1BR hits in scenario B, add studio request to try to combine to 2BR or wait until 60 days out for studio request for 4k credits (I know an exchange is never a foregone conclusion).
D) Wait it out until 60 days out, change the request to include 1BR, and add a separate request for a studio?
E) Something else?

Last question, if a 1BR exchange hits and I put in a request for a studio unit that also hits, is there a way to ensure the check-in dates are the same? I've read many posts on combining 1BR/studio using separate exchanges, but I haven't been able to find how to match up the check-in dates.

Thanks in advance!


 PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2016 4:10 pm   
User avatar

Joined: Wed 21 Jul 2004 4:51 pm
Posts: 10919
Location: California
Stick with A. It's 10 months away. You have a good chance of getting a 2br.

However, also add a separate float request for the 1 br.

When the 1br matches, you'll have to make a decision on whether to wait longer, or go for the sure thing.
If you decide to accept the 1br, then you can add e-plus. That allows you to retrade for another (larger) unit if one should appear, but this is done via a manual search.

You can also set up the search for a studio; then call II and tell them you need the specific check-in date. They can set it up on their end.

Re, D, your best chance to get a 2br is 90 - 60 days out. Don't take a smaller unit at that point.

WM Owner since 1999

 PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr 2016 5:43 pm   

Joined: Tue 08 Apr 2008 7:34 am
Posts: 12031
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
I would put in a second request for a 1 br. Only if matched, put in request for studio. Marriott operates like a hotel. 30 days before, you can request that they put the rooms connecting, aka 2 bedroom.

Keep the 2 bedroom request working, if you only have the 1 bedroom. If it matches, call in to switch to your e-plus 1 bedroom.

Owner since May 2008
Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

 PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr 2016 9:13 pm   
User avatar

Joined: Thu 14 Feb 2008 10:06 am
Posts: 2061
Location: Oregon coast; pic:Polyphemus@Running Y
Our request for a Ko Oline 2br was filled fairly quickly. Good chance yours will be also.

Owner since 1998:
WM: Eagle Crest, Wolf Creek, Steamboat Springs, LOTO; Clear Lake; Whistler; Kapaa; LV Blvd; Running Y; Kingston Reef; Coral Baja; Depoe Bay; Gleneden; Schooner's Landing; Kona; Seaside; Camlin; Wyndham Beachwalk Waikiki; Dolphin Cove; Indio; Oceanside Harbor, 7th Mountain
Exchanges: Playa del Carmen; Lehigh Acres; Royal Caribbean to AK through Inside Passage, Marriott Ko Olina, Riviera Maya Grand Luxxe, Riviera Maya Grand Mayan

 PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec 2016 10:16 am   

Joined: Mon 06 Jun 2005 10:37 am
Posts: 16
Hi Everyone,
I'm back again seeking some more advice. So far nothing has hit for Ko'Olina for President's week, Feb 2017 despite ongoing searches since last April.

I have 3 requests in- one for 2BR/3BR using a 3BR ongoing search, one for 1BR, 1 for 1BR/Studio hoping to combine a 1BR and a sudio for a 2BR.

Seeking any advice on what you'd do. Is it time to start making backup plans since I'm under 59 days now? I've seen some smaller units posted in sightings for the week after Pres. day, so wondering if Marriott is just holding on releasing any inventory until the last minute.


 PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec 2016 3:48 pm   

Joined: Fri 27 May 2005 6:15 am
Posts: 2764
At this point, you are looking for a cancellation. I would definitely be making backup plans. However, there have been various Hawaii sightings within a day or two of check in for the last couple of months. There's a studio and 1 BR there now for Jan 1. If your backup plans have the flexibility to cancel at the last minute, you might snag something.


Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2010