Register
It is currently Tue 07 Jul 2020 8:13 pm

Database of Successful Transactions w/ Trusted Owners

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec 2019 8:57 pm   

I'm a small account holder and I expect to rent in credits in future. I came pretty close to getting scammed but I saw the red flags and didn't transfer the money.

I think it would be nice to have a database of individuals who can be trusted to rent credits to you. I'm aware of this thread but I think many buyers don't post their feedback in that thread.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=16837

I'm curious if anyone has ideas on how we can stay safe from scammers.

Couple of suggestions:
  • Crowdsourced google doc with a list of trusted sellers. Owners who have rented credits can vouch for the individual they rented from
  • Whatsapp group for renting credits. Only trusted buyers and sellers get to stay in the group. Scammers get kicked out and crowd sourced policing keeps everyone safe.

Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec 2019 9:11 pm   

Hi skibeaver:
This is worth kicking around. I like the idea of a Trusted Owners List. I have several individuals with whom I've had successful transactions or long term interactions, whom I would nominate.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2019 7:46 am   

I love the idea. I’ll tell you that I’ve rented out hundreds of thousands of credits on this site and my rule is that I do not (even if they OFFER to pay up front) rent out to anyone with no prior posts and/or brand new to WMowners. Just not worth the hassle (either it’s a scam or they don’t know about the 2x rule, etc and its just a total pain). Just my position.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2019 7:27 pm   

This would be a wonderful idea - BUT. The current group of volunteers have kept this site going for a lot of years. I doubt that any of them have the time or energy to design and implement this new option.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach, Reno, Discovery Bay. Spencer Street, Leavenworth, Melbourne.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Family Castle, Bali Hai, Dyserth Falls Resort, Haven Court, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife, Club Paihia, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants France, Royal Regency France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu, KBC, Hono Koa, Orleans at 519 Frenchmen Street, Cabo Azul, Modern Honolulu.
Newly planned and Reserved:

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2019 9:12 pm   

geist1223 wrote:
This would be a wonderful idea - BUT. The current group of volunteers have kept this site going for a lot of years. I doubt that any of them have the time or energy to design and implement this new option.

noted. I will try to come up with something. Hope it will benefit everyone.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2019 9:41 pm   

geist1223 wrote:

That pretty much says it. There are lots of improvements & updates that can be made...to the webpage...to the forum software, etc.

Each volunteer contributes what time & effort they can. Our hope has always been to make our club better... as contained in our mission statement:

Support Owner Advocacy
Provide Education
Encourage Open communication
Create Community

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2019 9:36 am   

We can start small and let it evolve as more users are added to the database.

I would trust everyone who has replied so far to be in the group. :D

Are any other long-time WMOwners interested?

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2019 3:35 pm   

javanite wrote:
We can start small and let it evolve as more users are added to the database.

I would trust everyone who has replied so far to be in the group. :D

Are any other long-time WMOwners interested?

I am very interested in being involved as well. I rent in credits every year, and think this has the potential to benefit everybody.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2020 8:30 am   

I have taken a first attempt at building a database of renters to assess risk or renting from them. Here is my thought process.

Who are the riskiest people to rent from?

• New members
  • Members with transactions with only new members
  • Members with few transactions

Who is the lowest risk person to rent from?

• Long-time member
  • Member has rented to other long-time members
  • More transactions
  • Successful recent transactions

How to use the renter spreadsheet?

Go to the spreadsheet link below and filter transactions for the person you are trying to rent from. There is always a risk in renting from others so determine the risk of renting points based on the factors listed above. The spreadsheet makes it easy to view past transactions of a person compared to the thread. If you see a new member is trying to rent out credits but has no transaction history, be cautious in doing transactions with them.

If you rent out credits, how to make sure others view you as trustworthy?
Request people who have rented from you to vouch for you by sending me a private message. I will enter the transaction info in the spreadsheet.

Here is a view-only link to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

If folks here think this effort is in the right direction, I will add some more transactions from the feedback thread.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020 8:30 am   

I think this is a wonderful idea and thanks for starting it up. I pm'd some transaction info. And encourage others to do the same.

Worldmarks visited: Seaside, Eagle Crest, Leavenworth, Arrow Point, San Diego Mission Valley, West Yellowstone, Kona, Chelan Lake House, Canmore, McCall, Seattle, Indio, Cathedral City, Oceanside, Depoe Bay, Victoria, Discovery Bay, Surfside, San Francisco, Marina Dunes, Kihei, Deer Harbor, Lake Shores Chelan, Bend, Estes Park, Running Y, Whistler Cascade Lodge, Birch Bay, Fort Lauderdale Santa Barbara

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2020 11:05 am   

I'm in favor of a most favored renters and rentees list. I'm mostly a lurker, but been around this board for years, and have been mostly successful buying/selling rented credits when needed. Still, a list would be nice, especially for those who aren't too active on the board, but use it because it's a great resource.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2020 4:08 pm   

I prefer to rent on this site rather than the wild west world of facebook. I would love to see a trusted renters list. In the past I have looked up the feedback on people I wish to rent from or I have asked a new member to look up my information and then wait for payment when I get the points. Both have worked well in the past.
Joan

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2020 7:26 pm   

Love the idea of this data base, as a newbie here, just finalized purchase in November I'm happy to see this. With a small account I see myself renting credits in the future... have no idea how to even do it. Hope to one day be in the in crowd! We were on pins and needles for three months waiting for our account to go through with Best Time Shares not sure weather or not it was a scam. Wish I had thought to join WMO and ask! Turns out Micheal was legit! Hooray!
Jason

PostPosted: Thu 14 May 2020 6:23 am   

New scammer entry added to database. Thanks to all alert Owners who reported.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =928954706

Reminder: Owners may voluntarily submit their successful transactions to skibeaver for addition to Trusted Owners database.