Register
It is currently Sat 22 Jul 2017 1:31 am

Combining New Account - Need Help figuring optimal plan

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 9:47 am   

Hi everyone,

I am purchasing an account and I need to decide whether to proceed to combine immediately upon transfer or just transfer the account and WAIT to combine them. Here are the facts:

Current account: 6,000 May anniversary.
Current account has 775 credits remaining, 6000 to borrow - I have a very important WM reservation for this summer (July) as well as an Interval trade for next summer booked that I don't want to lose.

Account being purchased: 14,000 February anniversary.
New account has 14,000 awarded.

My questions are as follows:

Should I combine at time of purchase or wait until another optimal time? (waiting means higher MF's and another $300 transfer fee)

Do I get to pick which account survives?

Do I need to worry about my existing reservation and Interval trade getting messed up?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me!

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 10:08 am   

If you combine, during the purchase, then your current account will be the surviving account. If you combine after you own both accounts separately, then you get to choose which is the surviving account.

If your current account is the surviving account then there are no issues with Interval. If the new account is the surviving,may, you just need to call Interval Worldmark desk to give them the new account number.

If your current account is a surviving account, then there should be no issues with your WorldMark reservations. If the new account this is the surviving account, there has been some talk that some of the reservations could be lost, coming from transfer services. I have not heard of anyone actually losing any reservations through a combination. If the reservations are on the non surviving account. Reservations are transferred and given new reservation numbers, essentially cancelled and rebook. Owner Services is able to cancel reservations about it going to wait list, the risk remains.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 2:23 pm   

Thanks for the advice Atom, I appreciate it.

So I was doing some math, and combining the accounts upon purchase would save me $28.50/month until February plus $299 combine fee. So if you figure the transfer happens in July, I get $228 in lower MF (8 months) and $299 transfer fee saved, for total benefit of combining of $527.

The cost of combining I calculate as permanently losing 3 months on the anniversary on the 14K account (move from Feb to May), at a MF of $144/mo X 3 = <$432>. So I calculate benefit = 527-432 so $95 better by combining at purchase.

If I missed something let me know!

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 3:35 pm   

There has been some recent talk that what I'm about to post is no longer true, but...

If the original is Feb and the new one is May, your May account would have some credits now. Then the May one disappears, your anniversary is now Feb. So I see that as a gain, not a loss.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 6:31 pm   

I did read the thread about them stopping getting bonus credits for combining accounts, unfortunately my original account in this case is May (not Feb).

PostPosted: Thu 04 May 2017 7:03 am   

Since both accounts have been given this year's credits there shouldn't be a problem combining and keeping either as the surviving one.

PostPosted: Thu 04 May 2017 1:02 pm   

If you combine later and not at time of purchase remember that the Account going away will be frozen for the 2-4 months it takes the combination to be finalized. If you are going to want access to those Points during the process then before you start the process transfer the Points from the Account going away to the surviving Account. This is a very simple process and there is an Online Form at www.worldmarktheclub.com. This will count as part of your 2X Transfer limit for the year but you will have access to those Points during the Combination Process.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour - Terraces, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach Wa, Reno NV.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Castle Ireland, Bali Hai Kauai, Dyserth Falls Resort Wales, Haven Court Wales, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife Scotland, Club Paihia New Zealand, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai, Kauai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants Connelles France, Royal Regency Vincennes France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu.
Newly planned and Reserved: Leavenworth.

PostPosted: Thu 04 May 2017 4:00 pm   

Thanks for all of the tips, I'm going ahead with the combine during the purchase process and we'll see how it goes. Looking forward to my newly minted 20k account, exciting!

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017 8:04 pm   

I have a 10,000 account with an August anniversary and just purchased a 20,000 account with a December anniversary. Any chance WM will let me combine the December account into a surviving August account after the new 20,000 credits are awarded in December? I see above that there shouldn't be a problem once the credits from both accounts are awarded in the same year, but if I initiate the combination in December, it won't be closed until the next year...

I have existing reservations in the 10,000 account, so I want to make sure it is the surviving account so as not to lose my existing reservations.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017 8:18 pm   

Call to make sure....but once your December credits are awarded you should be able to combine.