Register
It is currently Mon 16 Oct 2017 2:31 pm

2016 Election Results

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat 19 Nov 2016 9:05 pm   

ecwinch wrote:
But given how some have described that the Club is in such decline, why don't those members see the same thing and stop voting for the status quo?

Eric, as I think you have stated previously, WorldMark owners must be content with the product they purchased; otherwise why do they not vote?

Apparently most owners do not see a decline in the value of their ownership. To some degree, whether or not an owner has seen a decline in owner benefits depends on the length of time the owner has been associated with WorldMark.

PostPosted: Sat 19 Nov 2016 9:34 pm   

TahoeGary wrote:
ecwinch wrote:
But given how some have described that the Club is in such decline, why don't those members see the same thing and stop voting for the status quo?

Eric, as I think you have stated previously, WorldMark owners must be content with the product they purchased; otherwise why do they not vote?

Apparently most owners do not see a decline in the value of their ownership. To some degree, whether or not an owner has seen a decline in owner benefits depends on the length of time the owner has been associated with WorldMark.

I would hazard a guess that most owners are not aware of many of the "tips and tricks" taught on this site. Rental of credits in or out of an account still comes as a surprise to many long time owners when I bring it up.
For those of us not living near the West Coast, there are maybe one or two drive to resorts, so availability has always been an issue.
WorldMark credits still have some value, so that may be seen as a positive for WYN because many other time share have little, if any, value. That assumes that people actually look at the resale value of their purchases.
Perhaps ignorance is bliss for many WM owners.

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2016 2:33 pm   

In general I think that WM owners are happier with their membership then most t/s owners. Marriott might be an exception. I believe this alone might be why they don't have much concern for the future of Worldmark. The industry is so corrupt that WYN's constant dishonesty might be seen as mild? :?

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2016 9:10 pm   

I believe a lot of owners are not aware. I also believe that there are many owners that just don't care, if nothing seems to have changed or is affecting them at present then everything must be fine and no worries. Now days people don't worry about the future, it's all about now.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016 9:17 am   

One interesting point I don't understand is Wyndham's ability to sell to owners to get them

to upgrade to Travelshare when most owners know about resale credits. The price just

keeps going up and up and they are still able to sell. To buy a product and lose 90% of

its value once rescession period is gone.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016 9:45 am   

ginger4737 wrote:
One interesting point I don't understand is Wyndham's ability to sell to owners to get them

to upgrade to Travelshare when most owners know about resale credits. The price just

keeps going up and up and they are still able to sell. To buy a product and lose 90% of

its value once rescession period is gone.

WYN sells convenience to owners. I no longer own my TS account, but it was convenient to have wifi prepaid, RCI prepaid as well as all of the other little perks that I now have to remember to renew. It is nice to have a timeshare that runs on autopilot and for some that convenience is worth a few extra dollars.
I also believe that most owners are unaware of the resale market until they want or need to dispose of their account(s). New visitors here and on Facebook seem to be shocked when they learn that the value of their WM account is so low.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016 7:15 pm   

TahoeGary wrote:

I think that speaks volumes, because the number of owners with a lengthy time of ownership is decreasing, while (apparently satisfied) owners with a shorter time of ownership are increasing, and probably increasing the size of their ownership (and their voting power) at a higher rate than long-time owners.

I think a young, vibrant candidate speaking to generational succession would be more powerful than a young, vibrant candidate trying to fight battles on false choices presented by a "non-Millennial" Board of Directors. (Hint: I think most owners who vote identify with the "non-Millennial" BOD). This election put an exclamation point on, "Wyndham (or the WorldMark Board of Directors) is the enemy" as a failed strategy for change. The path for change is to reach current owners through their children, and provide a vision for their childrens' ownership.

Just an idea for future elections.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016 8:24 pm   

1nceBurned2wiceShy wrote:
TahoeGary wrote:

I think that speaks volumes, because the number of owners with a lengthy time of ownership is decreasing, while (apparently satisfied) owners with a shorter time of ownership are increasing, and probably increasing the size of their ownership (and their voting power) at a higher rate than long-time owners.

I think a young, vibrant candidate speaking to generational succession would be more powerful than a young, vibrant candidate trying to fight battles on false choices presented by a "non-Millennial" Board of Directors. (Hint: I think most owners who vote identify with the "non-Millennial" BOD). This election put an exclamation point on, "Wyndham (or the WorldMark Board of Directors) is the enemy" as a failed strategy for change. The path for change is to reach current owners through their children, and provide a vision for their childrens' ownership.

Just an idea for future elections.

I think this election put to bed any ideas of slowing WYN's march to their goals. They beat us like a drum in every aspect. They have complete control of the board and all the votes they need to continue to erode our choices. 10 years from now, if someone were to read our archived posts about the flexibility and cost efficiency of WM, they will think we are a bunch of idealists and old fogies stuck in the past. :(
Hail to progress!!! ](*,)

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016 9:30 pm   

DenMar wrote:
10 years from now, if someone were to read our archived posts about the flexibility and cost efficiency of WM, they will think we are a bunch of idealists ...

If someone were to read the posts from 10 years ago, today and with 10 years of hindsight, would they think the same thing?

Would it make a difference?

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov 2016 8:52 am   

1nceBurned2wiceShy wrote:
DenMar wrote:
10 years from now, if someone were to read our archived posts about the flexibility and cost efficiency of WM, they will think we are a bunch of idealists ...

If someone were to read the posts from 10 years ago, today and with 10 years of hindsight, would they think the same thing?

Would it make a difference?

I believe they would and no, it wouldn't make a difference. I'll reword what I said in a post earlier, WYN has been turning up the heat very slowly and incrementally so that most don't realize what they are loosing with every board meeting and rigged election. Worldmark does not have the flexibility or cost effectiveness that it had when I first became an owner. The biggest changes coming after being sold to WYN. It will not become more flexible or cost effective over the next 10 years guaranteed. =P~

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov 2016 1:55 pm   

Look at the base.

In the last two seat election cycle (2014) David Moody received 85,694 votes. This year Myle received 87,566 votes.

In that two year period, we have seen the growth of a 7500+ member FB group and an email blast by Myle.

You would think that would increase the base by more than 2000 additional votes regardless of anything Wyndham does. So IMO it's not as much about "Wyndham beating us like a drum", as it is about finding that issue that increases the base.

A lesson learned from our most recent presidential election.

FACT: We have two independent BoD members - Bob Morrison and Cecilia Cuevas. You can trust that they are independent BoD members, because WMOwners Inc. cast proxy votes for them in the 2011 election. Both of these owners do not have any current or previous financial ties to Wyndham, and meet the IRS and SEC criteria for independent board members.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 9:57 pm   

Great discussion, folks! I think the main issue is awareness and connection, and hope the Facebook page and this forum can gradually turn the tide. The millennials are no doubt critical, so how do we get them here and speaking? Could this Forum be accomplished on smartphones? That would go a long way toward getting their participation.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2016 7:08 am   

I do access this Forum on my Android Smartfone and Tablet.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour - Terraces, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach Wa, Reno NV.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Castle Ireland, Bali Hai Kauai, Dyserth Falls Resort Wales, Haven Court Wales, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife Scotland, Club Paihia New Zealand, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai, Kauai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants Connelles France, Royal Regency Vincennes France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu.
Newly planned and Reserved: Leavenworth.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2016 8:30 am   

olingray wrote:
Great discussion, folks! I think the main issue is awareness and connection, and hope the Facebook page and this forum can gradually turn the tide. The millennials are no doubt critical, so how do we get them here and speaking? Could this Forum be accomplished on smartphones? That would go a long way toward getting their participation.

Great point and the question is a good one. I think the inherent headwind is that forums like this are probably not the preferred medium for that demographic. Particularly when their preferred medium offers an alternative. I think there is a thread someone on here that is sardonically titled "I know why the Facebook bird sings...?" that touches on some of the challenges.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44003&hilit=facebook

FACT: We have two independent BoD members - Bob Morrison and Cecilia Cuevas. You can trust that they are independent BoD members, because WMOwners Inc. cast proxy votes for them in the 2011 election. Both of these owners do not have any current or previous financial ties to Wyndham, and meet the IRS and SEC criteria for independent board members.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2016 9:39 am   

I read the worldmark email saying:

A record-setting 59,801 members voted in this year’s election, which is by far the highest number of people who have ever participated in a WorldMark election representing almost 37 percent of our member base.

I guess that the worldmark currently have only 160k members.