Register
It is currently Sat 31 Oct 2020 5:21 pm

timing of a purchase and combine

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 10:17 am   

We currently have an account with an August anniversary. We are thinking of buying another account that has a March anniversary.

If we buy it, what's the best strategy in terms of timing of the purchase and combine in order to maximize the credits available?

It seems to me if we buy and combine now we won't see the renewal of the credits in the new account until next August. If we buy now and keep the new account separate we'll get renewed points March 1. If we combine the two accounts AFTER March 1 will we essentially get all the points renewed again August 1?

Thanks in advance!
Robert

Angels Camp x11, Marina Dunes x10, Windsor x7, San Francisco x7, Reno x6, Clear Lake x5, Four Seasons Aviara x5, Southshore x4, Indio x3, Running Y x3, Rancho Vistoso x2, Solvang x2, Midway x2, Big Bear, McCall, Bear Lake, West Yellowstone, Coral Baja, Eagle Crest, Welk Villas (II flexchanges), Carlsbad Seapoint Resort (Direct Exchange), Wyndham Flagstaff (WM affiliate)

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 10:35 am   

Yes.

Now is not a good time to buy a march account if you have an august anniversary date.

You'd want to buy a march account in about January and then request the combo paperwork march 2nd after you see the points deposited into the account.

Another thing you could do, though, if you don't have a TS eligible account already and/or don't care about TS would be to do it 'backwards'.

Buy the March account now and then after your august account gets its points, do a combo in the other direction.

This is a particularly good idea if your existing account is bigger than the account you are buying.

The clueless folks at Wyndham (assuming they are just clueless and not lying in this particular case) will tell you that the account that stays is the one you have had the longest but that is total BS. That is just their way of trying to get rid of NHK accounts people buy.

The account that 'stays' and the anniversary date of the new account is whichever account you say it is, assuming you do NOT do a purchase/combine in one transaction.

Always purchase first THEN do the combo. Takes a bit more effort and costs an extra $150 but if you do it right, it's worth it.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 10:39 am   

bulman wrote:
We currently have an account with an August anniversary. We are thinking of buying another account that has a March anniversary.

If we buy it, what's the best strategy in terms of timing of the purchase and combine in order to maximize the credits available?

It seems to me if we buy and combine now we won't see the renewal of the credits in the new account until next August. If we buy now and keep the new account separate we'll get renewed points March 1. If we combine the two accounts AFTER March 1 will we essentially get all the points renewed again August 1?

Thanks in advance!
Robert

There is not a snowball's chance in hell that paperwork for the purchase and combine will be done before August 2007. Any reason why you wouldn't want to combine into the March account and HOPE they can get that done by March 2008?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary numbers and those who don't.

90% of all statistics are made up.

Visited: Angels Camp 13x, Windsor 3x, Bass Lake 2x, Clear Lake 1x, Marina Dunes 8x, Oceanside 1x, Rosarito 1x, Vistoso 2x, St. George 1x, Klamath Falls 1x, Victoria 1x, Vancouver 1x, Seaside 1x, Depoe Bay 1x, Southshore 7x.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 10:39 am   

You can purchase the new account with a March anniversary date now. Once that's complete, you can then combine your August account into it. By that time, the August account will have received its new credits. Unless they changed things since last October (and I think they may have) you don't pay another $ 150 if you start the new combine within 40 days.

In any case, $ 150 is probably worth the credits you'll get by combining your August account into the March account.

Example:
August account: 10,000
August 1st: 10,000 credits
March account: 5,000 credits
March 1st: 15,000 (after combine)

This way you get all 10,000 credits from the August anniversary account in August, then get them again as well as the original credits in the March account, providing your combine is done by then. It really shouldn't take all that long.

Do NOT assign your proxy to the BoD. Assign your proxy to WMOwners, Inc.

STOP Increased Credit Requirements and Credit Dilution

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 11:24 am   

Sooooo let me see, I sold my account with a July anniversary date to someone with an account that has an April anniversary. We notorized the paperwork and sent it back to TW/Wyh last week. My account shows 10,000 credits available and 10,000 available to be borrowed.

Here are a couple "water under the bridge" questions:

Did I shortchange myself by not factoring those extra credits in the sales price?

Can those credit for borrowing still be borrowed?

Should we NOT have gone for the "combine" right off the bat, keeping the two accounts separate so those "borrowed" credits could be utilitized?

That's all I got, otherwise I might be more confused than usual and bummed out that I didnt make a more informed financial transaction.

flash

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 12:10 pm   

Flash wrote:
Sooooo let me see, I sold my account with a July anniversary date to someone with an account that has an April anniversary. We notorized the paperwork and sent it back to TW/Wyh last week. My account shows 10,000 credits available and 10,000 available to be borrowed.

Here are a couple "water under the bridge" questions:

Did I shortchange myself by not factoring those extra credits in the sales price?

Can those credit for borrowing still be borrowed?

Should we NOT have gone for the "combine" right off the bat, keeping the two accounts separate so those "borrowed" credits could be utilitized?

That's all I got, otherwise I might be more confused than usual and bummed out that I didnt make a more informed financial transaction.

flash

Q: Did I shortchange myself by not factoring those extra credits in the sales price?
A: Probably not. The credits you had in your account were the credits you had in your account. What the new owner does with them is their business.

Q: Can those credit for borrowing still be borrowed?
A: Once the new account is combined into their old account, the number of credits available to borrow will be the number currently in their old account plus the 10,000 from your account, no more, no less.

Q: Should we NOT have gone for the "combine" right off the bat, keeping the two accounts separate so those "borrowed" credits could be utilitized?
A: No. In this situation, they did it the right way. The account they just bought from you had just gotten their annual allotment of credits. Once the combine is done and the other anniversary roll around, they'll get the full amount of the "new" annual credits, which is, the number of annual credits from the original account plus the 10,000 from your account.

It's all fine and good.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 12:23 pm   

Selling a July account now was a good deal for you and a less good deal for the buyer, actually.

Here's what I mean.

Suppose you are looking at two accounts for sale, both are 10,000 credits and both are 'fully loaded'. You want to buy one now and your own account has a Jan or Feb or whatever anniversary date.

Both of the accounts are exactly the same price, but one has a July anniversary date and the other has a September anniversary date.

The september account is actually WORTH roughly $700 more than the July account.

But most people don't keep that in mind when they look at the prices and make their purchase decision, I do :)

Similarly if I was ever going to sell an account, or a piece of one, the time to do it (best for me) would be right AFTER the anniversary date.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 7:56 pm   

the sales office (wm in las vegas) called me and was trying to sell me additional points @ $1.61. i was told that accounts cannot be combined and move me into "elite" status with those additional credits. does anyone know if this correct?

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 8:22 pm   

jimmiedavis wrote:
the sales office (wm in las vegas) called me and was trying to sell me additional points @ $1.61. i was told that accounts cannot be combined and move me into "elite" status with those additional credits. does anyone know if this correct?

When did you buy initially? Nov. 5, 2006 is a very important date.... the inception of Travelshare.

When you give us the date, we can help further.

:wave:

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 9:05 pm   

If you owned the points prior to Nov 5, 2006 then they are 'travelshareable'.

If you buy points resale after Nov 5, 2006, then they are not travelsharable.

If you buy points from the developer, they are always travelsharable.

You need 20,000+ travelsharable points to be TS 'elite'. I'm not sure what being TS 'elite' gives you, probably you get a special hat or something (see TravelShare threads for details). I think that at "Diamond" or "Platinum" (I forget which one is higher?) which is somewhere over 60,000 credits, you get free housekeepings if you don't already get them anyway.

Of course, you pay travelshare dues based on the number of travelsharable points you have, the more you have the more you pay.

And apparently you can't turn travelshare off and back on again without buying 5,000 more credits from the developer.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2007 10:06 pm   

From the Wyndham site here.

Quote:
Fun Time: Entitles a TravelShare Member to rent WorldMark units from 15 to 42 days prior to arrival depending on the TravelShare Members’ tier. Use of Fun Time shall be subject to the prepayment of a Fun Time fee instead of any Vacation Credits or housekeeping charge. The amount of the fee is determined by WorldMark by Wyndham. These fees may be found in the current TravelShare Fees. Fees are subject to change. The length of a Fun Time reservation is subject to the restrictions set forth below. Fun Time is subject to availability and only available to TravelShare Members. TravelShare Members must occupy the unit. Except as provided herein, only one Fun Time reservation and only one unit can be pending at a time. Reservations can be made for more than one resort, provided that the combinations of these reservations are not for more than the below specified maximum number of consecutive nights. Except as provided herein, only one Fun Time reservation and only one unit can be pending at a time. Reservations can be made for more than one resort, provided that the combinations of these reservations are not for more than the below specified maximum number of consecutive nights.
<TABLE>
<TR><TH>Tiers<TH>Maximum
Consecutive Nights<TH>Maximum Weekend
Reservations
Per Calendar Quarter
<TR><TD>TravelShare<TD>4<TD>1
<TR><TD>TravelShare Elite<TD>5<TD>2
<TR><TD>TravelShare Diamond Eliteaaaaa<TD>6<TD>4
<TR><TD>TravelShare Platinum Elite<TD>7<TD>Unlimited
</TABLE>
The time periods in which Fun Time reservations may be made are subject to the TravelShare Member’s Tier as set forth below:

* 15 – 21 days prior to arrival for TravelShare Members
* 15 – 28 days prior to arrival for TravelShare Elite Members
* 15 – 35 days prior to arrival for TravelShare Diamond Elite Members
* 15 – 42 days prior to arrival for TravelShare Platinum Elite Members

So as you see above, 20,000 is a "magic" number.

Also from that site:
Quote:
TravelShare Fees
Updated November 2006

Fun Time
6 cents ($0.06) per credit

Elite Rental Program

* Elite: 14 cents ($0.14) per credit
* Diamond Elite: 12 cents ($0.12) per credit
* Platinum Elite: 10 cents ($0.10) per credit

RCI Exchange Fees
Domestic resort destinations: $164 USD/$181 CAN
International resort destinations: $199 USD/$219 CAN

RCI Nightly Stay Exchange Fees

1-2 nights $49 USD/$58 CAN
3-4 nights $79 USD/$79 CAN
5-7 nights $99 USD/$118 CAN

Nightly exchanges may be subject to housekeeping fees charged by the respective resort.

RCI Guest Certificates $59 USD/$59 CAN. Recipients must be at least 21 years old.
Above fees are subject to change and are separate from monthly TravelShare dues.

RCI® is a federally registered service mark of RCI, LLC.

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2007 12:00 pm   

We have the same info available at the top of the Travel Share Forum.

http://www.wmowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8501

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul 2007 2:31 pm   

Are your accounts "frozen" while you go through a combine or can you still make reservations and exchanges?

WM stays: Las Vegas Blvd, Indio, Bass Lake
II exchanges : FSA,Hyatt Pinon Point, Royal Sands Cancun, Marriott Shadow Ridge,Marriotts Ko'Olina
Independent exchanges: The Ridge Tahoe , Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Winners Circle,Solana Beach, HGVC Waikoloa

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul 2007 4:45 pm   

What I have noticed one of the account is frozen and in one account you can make reservations.
I have seen it when I combined my memberships.
I am not sure which one though, one which you combined into or other one.
Transfer department messed up my combination papers and tried to combine into wrong account.
Most probably you may be still make reservations from the account where you are combining into.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul 2007 6:37 pm   

Travel Tracy wrote:
Are your accounts "frozen" while you go through a combine or can you still make reservations and exchanges?

The 'official' policy seems to be to freeze the disappearing account.

The reality, however, is that either, both or none of the accounts will end up frozen and they won't fix it if they get it wrong, you just have to wait until they lose the paperwork a couple of times, and then you have to nag them a couple of times and then the combine goes through and the remaining account won't be frozen.