Register
It is currently Mon 16 Oct 2017 4:22 pm

Car rental

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec 2016 5:50 pm   

I used discounthawaiicarrental.com at least once, and a family member did too. Beat Costco prices, and reservations can be canceled.

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2016 9:05 am   

caloya wrote:
I used discounthawaiicarrental.com at least once, and a family member did too. Beat Costco prices, and reservations can be canceled.

I have used them in the past as well. They used to beat any price presented to them, they no longer do that. For our trip in January they were right with Costco, carrentalsavers, and autoslash but several hundered higher than allabouthawaii.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 8:20 am   

I have posted many times about this company that doesn't cost you a cent and has saved us a ton since we started using them. First book your car with Costco or whoever allows you to book without paying in advance. Next, go to Autoslash either on the Internet or on Facebook and put in the information. They will then start an ongoing search for the cheapest rate they can get. 9 out of 10 times they have saved us money.
Bart

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 11:45 am   

That's what I do. I book somewhere cheap, as possible, but cancelable, then I troll as the date gets closer. If you book minivans or larger SUVs, the price might not get better, so those are good to book as soon as you have your air booked.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 1:34 pm   

Yes I do that as well, but like in this instance with travel a month away I decided to cancel my Costco reservation (which was previously an autoslash reservation and before that a carrentalsavers reservation) and go with allabouthawaii as they were 350.00 cheaper, even though I had to pay then with no refunds. Prior experience gives me confidence that nobody will beat that price.

I checked again a little bit ago just out of curiousness, allabouthawaii is still at 412.00 Costco, autoslash, and carrentalsavers were all over 900.00 for a 2 week midsize car.

One thing about allabouthawaii is that they get the best rates with either a 7 day rental, 10 day rental, 14 day rental, and each 7 day period after that. So if you are planning on say a 12 night trip then rent as a 14 day rental and it will be a lot cheaper, there is no charge for an early drop off.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 8:54 pm   

But be careful not to book, cancel and rebook with the same car rental company, for the same dates. The desk might think it was a duplicate and cancel your reservation. Some airport desks use a printout, instead of an online computer for the day's reservations.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2016 3:20 pm   

Yeah, I've heard this to be an issue especially the closer the travel dates near as rentals become more scarce.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan 2017 5:30 pm   

UPDATE: I am a few days late with this, having too much fun in Kona. When I got to Alamo to get my SFX rental car, there were no extra charges or fees. In fact the guy behind the counter was very surprised with how low my payment was and mentioned that everyone else was paying a lot more. =D>
I have to give all of the credit to the "Queen" for finding this. :D

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017 10:38 am   

My how time flies. I had forgotten that you'd be there by now.

Have a wonderful vacation.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb 2017 8:51 am   

Another important thing about car rentals, if the price seems too high the first time you look wait a day and check again. I was looking at SoCal and the day-to-day price was fluctuating by as much as 25% or more. For example, if you really need a mid or full sized car it will probably show up for the same price as a compact at some point over about a week or so. :D

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land