Register
It is currently Tue 14 Aug 2018 3:35 am

Oceanside

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul 2004 8:14 am   

just got back from a week at Oceanside, going to babble on, because i tend to forget things, and better to make a permanent record.

Room:
had a combo dvd/vcr with front input jacks
each balcony had their own gas grill
room was a bit smaller than other WM resorts, primarily due to the built in fireplace extending from the wall (about 2'x8'), had to do some furniture re-arranging in order to get the murphy bed to fold down.

Resort:
large pool area, with plenty of chaise lounges. pool is standard rectangle, reminded me of a motel 6 pool. hot tub is decent sized, a sign explicitly states "no children under 12 in hot tub (note, not unattended, but no kids at all)", but that was completely disregarded. more kids in the hot tub than the kiddie pool.
not much in the way of "grounds" back of the resort is 20' vertical hill. 3rd floor or higher will get a view of the street, and up to the travelodge hotel and accompanying trailer park. front views are of a city parking lot, then some shrubbery around a drainage canal, train tracks, then an itty bitty view of water if you're high enough. rooms face north, so sun rises over left shoulder and sets over right.

Noise:
freeway was only noticeable if you tried to listen for it, and only with the patio door open. I think this is very "unit" specific. the higher floors with 35 or higher room numbers are closer to the elevated freeway, and may experience more noise.
train can be heard, especially if conductor blows the whistle. can be a bit annoying when sitting at the pool. the amtrak surfliner and metrolink commuter trains run fairly often during the week. freight trains were probably 1x/day. lower room numbers are closer to the trains and might experience more noise.
parking garage is located under the resort. the garage door makes a distinct noise when opened and closed. room 1133 happens to be right above the lower garage, and can hear it every time it opens/closes.

restaurants
harbor fish & chips: located on walk to beach. Good sized & tasty fish, fresh filets, good flake, chips were pretty unspectacular, just foodservice frozen bags of shoestrings.

anitas mexican: south on coast highway about 3-4 miles from resort. above average salsa, good latent heat factor. food portion size was good but not overly memorable, could get the same food anywhere.

hunter steak house: 5-6 miles from resort. great service, below average atmosphere (carpet with holes, dated walls), decent food selection, entree comes with 2 sides & salad, which made it a better bargain than most steak houses.

Ruby's: at the end of oceanside pier: great little diner, good fresh greasy burgers. fries were average, shakes were superb. have a late dinner or dessert there and watch the sunset from the pier, probably best view.

Denny's: 2 minute walk from resort, just mentioning for convenience factor

overall, we enjoyed our stay at oceanside, i just wouldn't put it in the "resort" category. it felt more like a motor lodge hotel. its in the middle of a commercial district, parked right off the freeway, not a quiet beach getaway. we'll definitely be back again, because you can't beat the weather in southern california, but i wouldn't rate it as one of my top resorts.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul 2004 10:22 am   

Couple of quickie notes:

1. Taking the Coaster to San Diego is very easy, according to a friend of mine who stayed at Oceanside last week. There is free parking by the train station and the train ride is about 50 minutes each way. There is a stop at the Old Town area, and then after a light walk to the Bazar del mundo you can eat at the Casa de Picos. Apparently they have excellent food and drinks at very reasonable prices.

2. At the resort you can sign up for a day trip to San Diego, Tijuana, Rosarito and Ensenada. Tour van will pick you up from the resort and take you on a guided tour of these towns. Lunch included.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul 2004 10:42 am   

kapish wrote:
Couple of quickie notes:

1. Taking the Coaster to San Diego is very easy, according to a friend of mine who stayed at Oceanside last week. There is free parking by the train station and the train ride is about 50 minutes each way. There is a stop at the Old Town area, and then after a light walk to the Bazar del mundo you can eat at the Casa de Picos. Apparently they have excellent food and drinks at very reasonable prices.

We've done the Red trolley a couple times when we stay at Oceanside. We usually park at a mall (for free) that has a transit center - I think it's called Fashion Valley - then take the trolley down to Seaport Village and do the shopping thing. It's a short walk from Seaport to the harbor cruises and Star of India (about 10-15 mins. walk). We also take the train to Old Town and have lunch at one of the Mexican restaurants there, then train back to the mall to pick up our car. They sell all day train passes for a few dollars. You can go all over the place, even down to the border I believe.

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Informat ... leymap.asp

I guess we'll look into taking the Coaster to Old Town then get the trolley - could avoid the traffic back from San Diego to Oceanside that way..

Been to: Oceanside, Las Vegas, Big Bear, Indio, Pismo Beach, Tahoe I, Rancho Vistoso, Wolf Creek, St. George, Solvang
Exchanged to: Carlsbad Seapointe, Gas Lamp Suites
Also stayed at: Wyndham Grand Desert

Profile ICQ