Register
It is currently Tue 14 Aug 2018 3:44 am

Birch Bay

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul 2004 11:51 am   

I have stayed at Birch Bay twice on bonus time. It has a lot of great qualities; the friendly staff, amenities, activities out and around the area. Unfortunately, after visiting many other WorldMark resorts, this one suddenly seemed more like "apartment living". I heard footsteps upstairs all night, dogs barking, etc. The decks all hang out over the parking lots, unless you're in one of the 4 penthouses. The "views" are over your shoulder, across the parking lot and through the trees to the beach. I can't imagine staying there for a week.

I don't mean to be a spoil sport- there are a lot of activities reachable by car. I'm just wondering if anyone else has these impressions? Or am I being too picky?

Been to: Cascade Lodge, BC, The Canadian, BC, The Camlin, WA, Birch Bay, WA, Discovery Bay, WA, Leavenworth, WA, Las Vegas, NV, Sundance, BC, Seaside, OR, Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA, New Braunfels, TX, Coral Baja, Cabo, MX, Sunterra Fairway Villas, Oahu, HI, Royal Caribbean, Cancun, MX, Occidental Grand Cozumel, MX. Royal Carribean, Cancun, MX, Villa Del Palmar, Puerto Vallarta, MX, Royal Sands, Cancun, MX, The Grand Wailea, Maui, HI, USA, Atlantis, Paradise Island, The Bahamas. Royal Mayan, Cancun, MX. Royal Caribbean, Cancun, MX. Cancun International, Cancun, MX. Royal Haciendas, Playa del Carmen, MX. El Conquistador, Merida, MX.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." Saint Augustine

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul 2004 5:32 pm   

Just to say I agree with your comments about Birch Bay. However, we do enjoy staying there for a couple of nights at a time! Not sure I would want to spend a week there, but we love the shops in the vicinity and after staying for 48 hours, can bring lots of stuff over the border back into Canada!

We have now stayed at Birch Bay 6 times!

ann

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul 2004 7:17 pm   

Hmm...we have stayed at Birch Bay several times and never noticed this, but it has been over a year since we have been there. We enjoy the area very much too.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul 2004 9:54 pm   

sun4fun wrote:
I have stayed at Birch Bay twice on bonus time. It has a lot of great qualities; the friendly staff, amenities, activities out and around the area. Unfortunately, after visiting many other WorldMark resorts, this one suddenly seemed more like "apartment living". I heard footsteps upstairs all night, dogs barking, etc. The decks all hang out over the parking lots, unless you're in one of the 4 penthouses. The "views" are over your shoulder, across the parking lot and through the trees to the beach. I can't imagine staying there for a week.

I don't mean to be a spoil sport- there are a lot of activities reachable by car. I'm just wondering if anyone else has these impressions? Or am I being too picky?

I have stayed at Birch Bay 10 times, and don't disagree with anything you said, except "footsteps upstairs all night, dogs barking, etc." - I think that might be just in some units. I have heard similar comments before, yet in all of my stays (mostly on inventory special or bonus time), I have never experienced that myself.

Birch Bay is not unlike Seaside - waterfront with a deep lot, presenting a design challenge, resulting in the front units being the best. At Seaside the front units are two penthouses, one 2BR and one 3BR. The two- and three-bedrooms are the same number of points as the regular ones. So they are booked all the time and people can hardly get into them. And if you do book a penthouse or a 3BR, you don't know if you will get the ground floor unit where pedestrians can look into your unit or not.

At Birch Bay, the ocean-front units are the penthouses and on the second and third floors. Because they are rightfully much more expensive, there is often availability and opportunity at Inventory Special time - still expensive but don't cost points. These penthouses are very nice - 1,800 sq ft, upscale design and furnishings, 3 bedrooms with 3 baths, private hot tub on the deck with a terrific sunset view. (They built a restaurant across the street, which had been closed for a number of months the last time I was there.)

As far as the other units, most of them have a better view from inside than the Seaside units. However, Seaside is much more upscale and in tune with the touristy locale. Birch Bay is also in tune with its locale - middle class surroundings and restaurants, a trailer park in the back, etc. That's why Seaside gives a luxury hotel feeling and Birch Bay an "apartment feeling".

But I am thankful for Birch Bay. The inside is typical WM nice. It is a stone's throw from Vancouver BC, yet much more spacious than the Canadian. There is a lot of availability partly because there are so many units, so it is readily available for Inventory Special and Bonus Time at least in the fall, winter and spring months. The beach is very nice, providing lots of activities and entertainment. It is ocean-front and the penthouses have spectacular 180-degree views. The nearby towns are nice to visit. It also has 2 pools, a fitness center, an adequate game room, friendly and knowledgeable staff, and a state park, a water park and shopping nearby.

Victoria and the Canadian are nearby for a combination reservation if a week at Birch Bay is too much.

Each of our resorts has their own personality, and Birch Bay has a special one. It is a good resort if you know what to expect. JMHO.

P.S. If you book a 3BR you might get a bonus if you end up in one of the 5th floor units, with a higher and broader view than even the penthouses (that are on the second and third floors). The only thing is that the front part of the building partially blocks the lower part of that view.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2004 11:53 am   

The units at the Canadian are small, but the thing I really love is that it feels like you are in your own little world. You have a great view of the city, and I have NEVER heard footsteps, voices, dogs barking, or doors slamming. I'm not sure if they've done some sort of special construction to prevent these disturbances, but I like it! Yes, it has hallways that could contribute to an appartment feel, but I just don't get that there. The exercise facility and pool across the street is wonderful too.

I agree that Birch Bay has a lot to offer. I guess I just like more solitude.

There were dogs staying in their owner's vehicles in the undercover parking lot. I watched them walk them and put them back. Poor things. No one was trying to hide it. I'm not one to call the front desk and complain so I just minded my own business.

I'll still go to Birch Bay on bonus time or inventory special, but I'll go in the off season. I think that will help with my personal preferences for more solitude.

Been to: Cascade Lodge, BC, The Canadian, BC, The Camlin, WA, Birch Bay, WA, Discovery Bay, WA, Leavenworth, WA, Las Vegas, NV, Sundance, BC, Seaside, OR, Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA, New Braunfels, TX, Coral Baja, Cabo, MX, Sunterra Fairway Villas, Oahu, HI, Royal Caribbean, Cancun, MX, Occidental Grand Cozumel, MX. Royal Carribean, Cancun, MX, Villa Del Palmar, Puerto Vallarta, MX, Royal Sands, Cancun, MX, The Grand Wailea, Maui, HI, USA, Atlantis, Paradise Island, The Bahamas. Royal Mayan, Cancun, MX. Royal Caribbean, Cancun, MX. Cancun International, Cancun, MX. Royal Haciendas, Playa del Carmen, MX. El Conquistador, Merida, MX.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." Saint Augustine

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2004 2:13 pm   

I too, found Birch bay to be very noisy. We were near the back on bonus time and sitting in my unit, I could hear people talking in the hall way, when going to the door and looking out, I was surprised to see that they were a long ways down the hall. It seemed the hallway funneled the sound down directly to our unit? I was not impressed with the resort at Birch Bay, but did feel that there was a lot do in the area with in driving distance. I will probably choose to only use this resort as a sleep over on my way to Whistler. Though, would consider staying in the penthouses for a few days.

Ken

Have stayed at too many to list. As of 11/14/14 we have had the opportunity to stay 233 times in our Worldmark units. We feel blessed!

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2004 2:39 pm   

I have to say that I do go mostly off season - I also like solitude. The penthouses are great - especially the third floor ones. They have classified the room categories so you know what floor you are booking.

I think the Canadian is concrete-built because it is a high rise. I have been there many times too as it is more convenient to Vancouver than Birch Bay.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2004 3:15 pm   

I have stayed at Birch Bay, found it good for the grandkids...we had a view of the trailer court in the back. The outdoor pool was nice for them, the resort had more of an apartment feel to us. Some love the place, for us, there are other spots unless we are looking for a short bonus time stay. That is why WM has such variety, something to float everyone's boat
Bob Briggs

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2004 3:46 pm   

That's true and that is why I like our timeshares...because each is different, in a different type setting and there are plenty to choose from so I can get pretty much what I want at time if availability allows. I wouldn't want them to all be alike. Usually when we go to Birch Bay it is just for a few nights. Possibly we have also gone on the off season and that's why but the only time we have noticed noise was when they were building the pool area and were out there working. Until they finished each evening that was noisy! Still we knew that was a temporary thing and didn't really mind.