Register
It is currently Wed 18 Oct 2017 2:29 pm

San José del Cabo > WorldMark Coral Baja FAQ

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun 2010 10:27 am   

Atom...thanks for the excellent Cabo report. The information will come in handy for us on October 7!

Resorts visited: Anaheim, Indio (8), Mission Valley (4), Discovery Bay, Vancouver (3), Birch Bay, Long Beach, Leavenworth (6), Seaside (2), Newport Bay, Windsor, San Francisco (3), Solvang, Oceanside, Las Vegas Blvd. (3), Coral Baja, Royal Sands (2), PV Mayan Palace, NV Grand Bliss, Cabo Grand Mayan (2) and Riviera Maya Grand Bliss.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun 2010 12:00 pm   

Atom,
Any hearsay about violence down there now?

from www.Ifish.com
Quote:
50 year old American woman as accosted by 2 Mexican males who punched her, knocking her to the ground, kicked her in the stomach and ribs until she let her purse go. As if this were not bad enough, there were approximately 30 Mexican locals standing within a few yards who offered no assistance what so ever to this woman who was being robbed right in front of their eyes and their restaurants.
When the police finally showed up, they said they would investigate the matter if she was able to pay them a fee for their time!!! ....and another, While my wife was at the hospital getting patched up for minor scrapes and bruises, she was told by one of the attending nurses there that she sees at least 2 dozen assaulted American and/or European tourist a week now under the same circumstances when just 2 years ago, she might see one a month.

WM: Eagle Crest, Wolf Creek, Steamboat Springs, LOTO; Clear Lake; Whistler; Kapaa; LV Blvd; Running Y; Kingston Reef; Coral Baja; Depoe Bay; Gleneden; Schooner's Landing; Kona; Seaside; Camlin; Wyndham Beachwalk Waikiki; Dolphin Cove; Indio; Oceanside Harbor, 7th Mountain
Exchanges: Playa del Carmen; Lehigh Acres; Royal Caribbean to AK through Inside Passage, Marriott Ko Olina, Riviera Maya Grand Luxxe, Riviera Maya Grand Mayan

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun 2010 3:15 pm   

wanderwoman wrote:
Atom,

from
Quote:
50 year old American woman as accosted by 2 Mexican males who punched her, knocking her to the ground, kicked her in the stomach and ribs until she let her purse go. As if this were not bad enough, there were approximately 30 Mexican locals standing within a few yards who offered no assistance what so ever to this woman who was being robbed right in front of their eyes and their restaurants.
When the police finally showed up, they said they would investigate the matter if she was able to pay them a fee for their time!!! ....and another, While my wife was at the hospital getting patched up for minor scrapes and bruises, she was told by one of the attending nurses there that she sees at least 2 dozen assaulted American and/or European tourist a week now under the same circumstances when just 2 years ago, she might see one a month.
No, nothing. In fact, both resorts' staff said it was totally safe. There were police pressence around. Everyone was friendly and helpful when asking for directions.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun 2010 7:16 pm   

Atom.

Thank you for those tips about driving and navigating Baja Sur.

Based on my experience (Feb. 2010), I believe most of them to be true. :lol:

Regarding volience, we saw many federalies with road blocks here and there. We were never stopped..

At Toto Santos we saw a large open pickup with 10 or so police armed with machine guns crusing the streets. There had been a fatal shooting of a policeman the previous day at La Paz.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun 2010 7:48 pm   

wanderwoman wrote:
Atom,

from www.Ifish.com
Quote:

Sounds a lot like Canyon County, Idaho. Far more violent than anything I've ever encountered in Mexico or any other foreign country I've visited, Canada excepted. Toronto was the cleanest, friendliest large city I have had the pleasure of visiting.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun 2010 8:44 pm   

drguy wrote:
Sounds a lot like Canyon County, Idaho. Far more violent than anything I've ever encountered in Mexico or any other foreign country I've visited, Canada excepted. Toronto was the cleanest, friendliest large city I have had the pleasure of visiting.

In New York, a man tried to stop a mugger stealing an old lady's purse. The mugger stabbed the man and the man continued to run after the mugger until he collapsed. Dozens of people were caught on a security camera as they walked by while the guy bled to death on the sidewalk.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul 2010 8:20 pm   

Ok just so i have this straight the "front" of the building is faces the ocean correct?

Visited so far: Depoe Bay, Eagle Crest x2, Seaside x4, Long beach x3,Discovery Bay, Mariner Village, Arrow Point

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul 2010 8:28 pm   

Kruttains wrote:
Ok just so i have this straight the "front" of the building is faces the ocean correct?

"front" actually refers to the buildings, ones is in "front", faces the beach and the other is in "back", which faces a parking lot.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul 2010 8:38 pm   

atom wrote:
"front" actually refers to the buildings, ones is in "front", faces the beach and the other is in "back", which faces a parking lot.

Thanks that is what I figured but you never know these days.

Visited so far: Depoe Bay, Eagle Crest x2, Seaside x4, Long beach x3,Discovery Bay, Mariner Village, Arrow Point

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr 2013 8:28 am   

Just a note about food and water in Mexico:
1. It is Mexican law that restaurants MUST provide clean water and ice, and they do. They don't want you to get sick. The water they pour into a glass in Mexico is distilled water, not tap water. The ice must be made from distilled water. I live in Mexico 6 mts. of every year, and I have an extremely "delicate' stomach; if there is a chance to get food poisoning, I seize it. I've NEVER had food poisoning in Mexico--but I have in the U.S.
2. Mexico now grows a huge percentage of the fruits and vegetables that are consumed in the U.S. The next time you are purchasing, check the little stickers on the items. The days of Mexico using "different fertilizer" from the U.S. have long been gone. If you've ever driven the Baja peninsula, you've seen big, commercial farming--just like you see in the U.S. We know a couple of California growers personally, and they both have had operations in Mexico for years. You need not fear Mexican fruits and vegetables. If you feel the need to take precautions that matter, be certain you wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly (if they won't be peeled).
3. People getting sick on salsa: the cause is often cilantro if it happens. Because cilantro leaves are small, it is difficult to wash thoroughly--in the U.S. or Mexico. In Mexico, the normal policy is to leave it soaking for 30 minutes or so, and then wash again in fresh solution. Mostly, they get the germs, but in both the U.S. and Mexico, cilantro can harbor germs.
4. If you've ever go "behind the scenes" in a Mexican restaurant, you'll find them extremely clean. They disinfect with bleach, and they do it several times a day. Floors are always mopped with bleach, and they never use hands that have handled money to handle food--even at street stalls. If there is only one person working, he will take money with a plastic glove, a napkin--something other than his bare hand--if he is also handling the food. Mexicans are very aware that money is one of the dirtiest things we come in contact with throughout the day.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec 2016 10:37 am   

Can someone tell me which unit type is it that has a private hot tub but which is NOT in the back building AND does NOT require that you take a precarious winding staircase up to it? I will be travelling with my elderly parents.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec 2016 11:05 am   

Three Bedroom Penthouse - All on one floor

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan 2017 8:52 am   

Can the misleading Title to this thread be corrected to show the actual location of Coral Baja? Coral Baja is located in San Jose del Cabo. Cabo San Lucas is about 25 miles away.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour - Terraces, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach Wa, Reno NV.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Castle Ireland, Bali Hai Kauai, Dyserth Falls Resort Wales, Haven Court Wales, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife Scotland, Club Paihia New Zealand, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai, Kauai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants Connelles France, Royal Regency Vincennes France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu.
Newly planned and Reserved: Leavenworth.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb 2017 6:11 pm   

Going to Cabo for the first time next week. How should I pay for things. Credit card or should I exchange money somewhere?

George

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb 2017 6:33 pm   

Both are easy. Any bank will give you the best possible rate from their ATM (directions are even in English). Credit cards will give you the best rate also--be sure to pay in pesos on the credit card, not dollars. The only caution is people often report compromised credit cards in Cabo. You might use only one and set a limit on individual charges by calling the credit card company.