Register
It is currently Fri 19 Oct 2018 3:46 pm

Bass Lake/Yosemite!!!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue 18 May 2004 1:33 pm   

Heading to Bass Lake next week. Anyone have any suggestions on places I shouldn't miss? Hikes to do? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue 18 May 2004 3:15 pm   

Some more info would help. What kind of hike are you looking for? Disance? Hills o.k.? or flat? Less crowded? etc.

PostPosted: Thu 20 May 2004 10:16 am   

Well, probably shorter hikes...under 5 miles? some hills are okay...not looking for anything that would be too much because we will have toddlers on our backs. Just don't want to miss spectacular views or anything. Waterfalls are great.

PostPosted: Thu 20 May 2004 10:45 am   

If you make it to Yosemite -- this is the best time for the Falls.
Easy level hike to "Lower" Yosemite Falls stroller friendly 15 minutes -- beautiful views. A little more strenuous -- upto the brdige of the Misty Trail (forgot the name of the Fall) -- about 45 minutes. /Sultan

PostPosted: Thu 20 May 2004 3:42 pm   

Thanks. We are bringing a jogging stroller and the back pack carriers. I heard over a holiday weekend it can be difficult just getting into the park. Anyone have experienced a hard time just entering the park?

PostPosted: Thu 20 May 2004 4:58 pm   

WannaGo2 wrote:
Anyone have experienced a hard time just entering the park?
From the Bass Lake side, it should be a breeze. Majority of the park visitors use the entrance closer to the Yosemite Village.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun 2004 10:37 am   

Hi everyone! We are back from Bass Lake and had a wonderful time. Yosemite is just gorgeous. We did go on one 5 mile hike that I would never do again. All but maybe one mile was on a road...so next time we would just drive to where you need to get out to walk to the swinging bridge. But other than that there are so many little hikes with breathe taking views. If you haven't been to Yosemite I strongly encourage you to go. On the way to Yosemite there is the Sugar Pine Railroad. During the summer months (maybe starting in May) they have a moonlight special. It was worth it. We had a lot of fun. It starts out with a steak BBQ, they have what used to be a trio...but now it is four really good people singing to you while you eat. Then you take a steam train ride...where bandits come and try to rob you! Next stop is the campfire where the four will sing songs...and everyone joins in in some fun songs. When it gets dark it is time to head back to the station. What an experience to ride in the steam train in the dark and seeing the steam bellow up to the trees! We all enjoyed that...the only time we ate out while at Bass Lake.
Things to not miss is the Mariposa grove. I really suggest taking the tram ride. We took the tram ride to the top...and walked down. We forgot our camera so the next day we decided to walk...it is ALL up hill. So the tram ride was the way to go!
Glacier point is a must see! Along with the over look to Yosemite valley. I heard the sentinel Dome trail was a must see but we were going to be late for the sugar pine railroad experience so we have to save that for next time!