Register
It is currently Mon 22 Oct 2018 12:36 am

Rafting near Eagle Crest?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun 16 May 2004 8:59 pm   

Has anyone been whitewater rafting in Central Oregon? Our nephews are coming out in June and we'd like to take them for an exciting float (class III - IV preferably). I know that there are trips on the McKenzie and Deschutes rivers - but are looking for some recommendations for specific trips and companies.

Also, any other recommendations for not-to-miss activities in the area for 14-16 year old (and 30 something) kids would be appreciated.

Thanx............skiHauz

PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2004 6:46 am   

skiHauz wrote:
Has anyone been whitewater rafting in Central Oregon? Our nephews are coming out in June and we'd like to take them for an exciting float (class III - IV preferably). I know that there are trips on the McKenzie and Deschutes rivers - but are looking for some recommendations for specific trips and companies.

Also, any other recommendations for not-to-miss activities in the area for 14-16 year old (and 30 something) kids would be appreciated.

Thanx............skiHauz

The Deschutes is in Central Oregon, the McKenzie is on the other side of the pass. Sisters isn't too far from the head of the McKenzie but you'd have to go furhter down (west) to raft.
Eagle Crest is near Sisters.
From Eugene/Springfield you'd have about a 45 min. drive to go white water rafting.
I am not to familiar with the guide/groups but lots of people go rafting. We can probably get an expert here to answer your questions.

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun 2004 7:19 am   

skiHauz wrote:

Thanx............skiHauz

Did you get any good advice, or have you already been to EC?

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun 2004 7:35 am   

skiHauz wrote:

Thanx............skiHauz

I'd like to help, but can't tell you much. YEARS AGO.....we stayed at Sunriver, just down the road a piece from EC. My husband and daughter (the dare devils in the family!) took the white water rafting trip on the Deschutes. I remember they had a blast! But don't know the name of the company or what is available for trips now. I'm sure there are plenty, and maybe the EC resort has some info in the lobby on recommended tours too.
Good Luck!!

www.thekiteshoppe.com
www.wmowners.com

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun 2004 2:02 pm   

We will be there in a week and a half -- I'm still in the process of consulting with several different rafting companies and weighing the many options. Personally, the North Umpqua trip sounds the best to me (in terms of both good water and scenery) - but it's quite a ways from Redmond so we'll have to plan for that one some other time. There are several different trips available on the Deschutes - from 2 hour to half, full, and multi-day trips. With so many other activities in the area, we may just opt for the short 'Big Eddy' trip offered through the Inn of the Seventh Mountain, leaving more time for hiking, biking, golf, and fishing.

By the way, any fisherpeople out there with recommendations for good fly-fishing spots in the area? Does anyone know how the fishing is on the section of the Deschutes that runs past the resort?