Register
It is currently Wed 18 Oct 2017 2:41 pm

Booking hard to get destinations

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul 2017 5:26 am   

Do you know how to do this? I have been trying for over a month to book a three-bedroom at Yellowstone without success. The night before the booking window, I can see at least one unit available. The next morning it is gone 1-2 minutes before e-booking is even open. Sometimes I'm able hit the "book it" button, but by the time I get through the "prove you are a human" pop-up windows, the unit is gone. What is going on? I have been with WorldMark for seven years and have booked several prime destinations. I've never had this much trouble. Can someone shed some light? I would appreciate any strategies you are willing to share. Thank you.

Wyndham:La Cascada, Majestic Sun, Governor's Green, Glacier Canyon Lodge, Riverside Suites, SeaWatch Plantation

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul 2017 6:21 am   

I don't see an easy way to book a 3 bedroom unit there anymore. I was able to do so in the past by using a grouped reservation (either using throwaway days or leading with a less-demanded resort on the front end), but the new restrictions took away that advantage. It's really a supply/demand issue there. There are only about a dozen of those 3 bedroom units and about 100 people who want to book those units. The two-bedroom units are almost as hard to get there although waitlisting those as soon as you can usually pays off.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul 2017 8:23 am   

Unfortunately. The 3 bedroom units at Yellowstone are a target for Mega renters, one in particular.

They have enough credits and or accounts to walk the reservations forward, even with the new Captcha. Techies have found a way around the Captcha obstacles already.

Go on the waitlist straight away and hope that a regular owner cancels something.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul 2017 10:10 am   

As herindoors suggests its almost impossible to get one of those 3 bedroom units. There are only 10 of them and that one guy has pretty much gained control of all of them using a technique discussed here and on facebook a year or so ago. (make long reservations starting in the off season, waitlist, and drop days) He is able to keep a day ahead of the rest of us.

One owner (another megarenter) brought this technique to the boards attention, but so far no rule changes have been made.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul 2017 8:48 pm   

Because the member who suggested it was a known mega-renter and the suggestion was to kill the seven day red season rule. Which of course would benefit all mega-renters and leave the rest of us peons with the muffin bottoms (Mon-Thur) while the mega-renters lockup the weekends and holidays to rent out (muffin tops).

That's a Seinfeld reference BTW. Personally I like muffin bottoms.

FACT: We have two independent BoD members - Bob Morrison and Cecilia Cuevas. You can trust that they are independent BoD members, because WMOwners Inc. cast proxy votes for them in the 2011 election. Both of these owners do not have any current or previous financial ties to Wyndham, and meet the IRS and SEC criteria for independent board members.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jul 2017 11:30 pm   

ecwinch wrote:
Because the member who suggested it was a known mega-renter and the suggestion was to kill the seven day red season rule. Which of course would benefit all mega-renters and leave the rest of us peons with the muffin bottoms (Mon-Thur) while the mega-renters lockup the weekends and holidays to rent out (muffin tops).

That's a Seinfeld reference BTW. Personally I like muffin bottoms.

Maybe that megarenters proposed solution was self serving but that dosent change the fact that there is a loophole that needs closing. I suspect something will happen soon. Probably not what that megarenters suggested, but something. At one of the recent board meetings the board discussed "commercial" operations in closed session

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 12:18 am   

All they need to do is eliminate the ability to extend an existing reservation past the 13th month booking window.

Get a waitlist match for two days that are past the 13th booking window? Great. But no calling in and extending that reservation past the 13th booking window.

Booked something and later learned you could get a better airfare by returning two days later? Great! Book it on-line when the window opens and combine it into your existing days.

Problem solved.

FACT: We have two independent BoD members - Bob Morrison and Cecilia Cuevas. You can trust that they are independent BoD members, because WMOwners Inc. cast proxy votes for them in the 2011 election. Both of these owners do not have any current or previous financial ties to Wyndham, and meet the IRS and SEC criteria for independent board members.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 6:49 am   

ecwinch wrote:
Which of course would benefit all mega-renters and leave the rest of us peons with the muffin bottoms (Mon-Thur) while the mega-renters lockup the weekends and holidays to rent out (muffin tops).

I'd love to have the option to just book the muffin bottoms - especially at West Yellowstone where a M-Th night costs less than half the credits of a F-Sa night. Plus, four days at Yellowstone is about perfect - Seven always seems just a bit too long.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 7:05 am   

ecwinch wrote:
All they need to do is eliminate the ability to extend an existing reservation past the 13th month booking window.

Get a waitlist match for two days that are past the 13th booking window? Great. But no calling in and extending that reservation past the 13th booking window.

Booked something and later learned you could get a better airfare by returning two days later? Great! Book it on-line when the window opens and combine it into your existing days.

Problem solved.

agreed. No extending an existing reservation and Id add, no dropping extra nights either.

Once a reservation is made, its made, no changes allowed (except to cancel the whole thing

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 7:36 am   

I hate the idea. That means you could never piece together a reservation in Hawaii.

WM Visits: Bear Lake, Wolf Creek 15, Oceanside 5, Discovery Bay, Las Vegas 6, Lake of the Ozarks, Orlando, FF Pompano Beach, St. George 9, Corla Baja, Kihei, McCall, Midway, Estes Park, Depoe Bay, Bass Lake, West Yellowstone, Sundance

Exchanges: Sol Mar (Cabo) Marriott Mountainside (Park City) Oyster Bay Beach Restort (St. Martin) Lawai Beach Resort (Kauai). Marriott Maui Beach Club (Maui), Ptarmagin (Whitefish, MT) Kona Coast Resort (Big Island), Royal Sands (Cancun), Marriott Grande Vista (Orlando), Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Harbor Ridge (Maine), Paniola Greens (Hawaii), Marriott Canyon Villas at Deseret Ridge (Phoenix), Four Seasons Aviara

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 8:56 am   

I think just simply limiting an owner to 2 reservations in another name other than themselves per year would kill the mega renter.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 10:18 am   

beacgnin5 wrote:
I hate the idea. That means you could never piece together a reservation in Hawaii.

Not sure why you think that. Only applies to extending a reservation beyond the 13th booking window, not piecing together a waitlist request. The ability to extend an existing reservation into inventory that no one else can book it make no sense.

The disparity between the market value of our resorts and the owner cost to book is only going to increase. AirBnB is the game changer, half the people in the hot tub at Canmore were in thru AirBnB rentals.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 1:59 pm   

benh7777 wrote:
I think just simply limiting an owner to 2 reservations in another name other than themselves per year would kill the mega renter.

Hate this idea. We send family members and friends more than twice a year. This is one way we reward our long term pet/house sitters.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour - Terraces, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach Wa, Reno NV.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Castle Ireland, Bali Hai Kauai, Dyserth Falls Resort Wales, Haven Court Wales, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife Scotland, Club Paihia New Zealand, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai, Kauai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants Connelles France, Royal Regency Vincennes France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu.
Newly planned and Reserved: Leavenworth.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 5:09 pm   

geist1223 wrote:
benh7777 wrote:

Hate this idea. We send family members and friends more than twice a year. This is one way we reward our long term pet/house sitters.

You may be rewarding your dog sitter but you could also be contributing to the lack of availability problems for owners that are having a hard time booking their own vacations.

RVC (Resort Vacation Certificates) is a good way to reward employees, friends/family. Affordable, they can choose when and where on their own, and you can select the level you want to pay.

In order to come up with a solution that works everyone is going to have to compromise somewhere, some way. We see the alternative right now, I for one don't like it.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2017 5:57 pm   

Some people forget that the key concept in a timeshare is SHARING the resorts with other members. To them it is just all about getting theirs and screw the other guy.