Register
It is currently Fri 15 Dec 2017 5:14 pm

Smokers at Depoe Bay

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2017 5:03 pm   

smmatrix wrote:
I stayed at a WM recently that clearly specified no smoking on the patios. I forgot which resort it was. This should be a system wide rule... no smoking on the patios!!!

When I became a Worldmark member in 1995 smoking was permitted anywhere they even furnished ash trays in the room. Many smokers bought because smoking was permitted. They felt that to prohibit smoking was taking away a right that they had purchased with their membership.There was much the same argument then about changing the rules to prohibit smoking as is going on now about prohibiting commercial renting. The current rule permitting smoking on the balcony was a compromise.

I personally hate being around tobacco smoke but the current rule is still a big improvement over original rule letting people smoke in the units.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2017 6:13 pm   

I am glad someone else made this point. I was thinking the same thing after Tom's post...

The initial response is always to marginalize the concern ... "it's not a problem"
then it becomes it "this is my right, dont take away my rights"
and progressively enough people recognize that there is a problem and action is taken... hopefully it wont take as long as it did with smoking...

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2017 8:04 pm   

ecwinch wrote:
I am glad someone else made this point. I was thinking the same thing after Tom's post...

The initial response is always to marginalize the concern ... "it's not a problem"
then it becomes it "this is my right, dont take away my rights"
and progressively enough people recognize that there is a problem and action is taken... hopefully it wont take as long as it did with smoking...

Did you read my post about smoking? Or did you simply assume you knew what I would say. From your comment it appears you either did not read or was unable to comprehend. Not a surprise. Of course in a debate it is trick to misquote or mis-state what the other person said - hoping others will not back and actually check to see what a person said.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour - Terraces, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach Wa, Reno NV.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Castle Ireland, Bali Hai Kauai, Dyserth Falls Resort Wales, Haven Court Wales, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife Scotland, Club Paihia New Zealand, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai, Kauai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants Connelles France, Royal Regency Vincennes France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu.
Newly planned and Reserved: Leavenworth.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2017 10:39 pm   

My post was not about you specifically Tom, it was only a generalization on how awareness of an issue evolved.

But since you feel it is about you, yes - I am doubtful that "you always have tried to always tried to avoid exposing people to my bad habits." With emphasis on "always". Perhaps you were better than some, but we are not that far apart in age, and I remember how pervasive the smoking culture was. I have no doubt that as that changed, you probably were good about it. But I doubt that was true early in your smoking habit... hmmm.

Do and do not, there is no try..... lol