Register
It is currently Fri 24 Nov 2017 2:19 pm

Parking Pass Anxiety..

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar 2015 7:48 pm   

We were in Indio a couple of weeks ago, we checked in late and the packing pass desk was closed, darn. So the next morning they call and I say to busy to come over, they call back and we say we already got one. Now they are confused. My gf didn't believe that we didn't need one so I asked the guard at the gate and he says nope they don't tow and this is a propery with a gate that you have to put your room key in. South shore no problem.

Whether I go to the desk depends upon my mood. If I'm in a playful mood or I need something else (such as hikes or restaurants) I'll go and play. If I'm not I'll ignore them and if they say anything I just respond that if it was required it would have been at the front desk.

Now saying all that the desk really doesn't bother me anymore. I say no politely, if they ignore me then i get testy.

Ian

Angels Camp, Big Bear, Birch Bay, Clear Lake, Depoe Bay, Discovery Bay, Estes Park, Indio, Kapaa Shores, Kihei, Kona, Oceanside, Palm Springs, San Francisco, Santa Fe, Schooner Landing, Seaside, Solvang, Steamboat Springs, Lake Tahoe, Tahoe Southshore, Taos, Valley Isle, Windsor

Exchanges: Lawaii Beach Resort, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Summit Watch, Hyatt Mountain Lodge

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar 2015 9:39 pm   

Call owner care and tell them that you suffer from anxiety and that you called to have your pass at the check in desk. Tell them they refused and if they can mail you one or can they handle it to accommodate you. See what they say. Many ask to talk to a supervisor right from the start.

WM VISITED: Indio (14x), Big Bear (3x), Solvang (3x), Orlando, Anaheim (5x), Depoe Bay (2x), Angels Camp (4x), Running Y, Las Vegas Blvd (3x), Dolphins Cove (3x), SD Mission Valley, Oceanside, Marina Dunes, Seaside, Queen Mary, Clear Lake, St. George (2x), Wolf Creek (2x), Bass Lake, and Yellowstone.
WM PENDING: Angles Camp, Clear Lake, Depoe Bay, Seaside, and Running Y
WYN: National Harbor DC
RCI: Royal Decameron Salinitas, El Salvador
II RESORTS: Amatique Bay Resort, Guatemala OTHER: July 2009 Seattle and Alaska, July 2010 Central America road trip (Guatemala City, Tikal, Antigua Guatemala) and, 2011 US coast to coast in a sleeper semi California to Georgia & California to Rhode Island.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2015 7:05 am   

Pcmama wrote:
So I called WM South Shore to ask them to include my parking pass at check in and they told me "they don't do that". Um bleh. so now I have to deal with the parking pass people?! Strategies folks for getting away from them?!

If it creates a tremendous amount of stress in your life, it may be time to say goodbye to WorldMark. Practice saying no in front of a mirror 100 times per day and it will come naturally when you are asked to attend an update/educational event.
Don't give an insignificant piece of paper (Parking pass) the power to impact your life negatively.
If it makes you feel better, be loud and obnoxious when saying NO!!!! Loudly announce that no means no and ask what the person does not understand about the word no if they are persistent.
Most importantly, don't let it bother you and have fun.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2015 7:24 am   

It's easy to tell someone to just say no, but when you have to say no 5 times and they still won't give you the pass until you yell at them, that creates anger, blood pressure rising, etc. Personally, I go on vacation to relax and to have fun. Having to get a in a loud argument when I check in is not relaxing or fun and it starts the whole thing out negatively.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2015 9:53 am   

Presley wrote:
It's easy to tell someone to just say no, but when you have to say no 5 times and they still won't give you the pass until you yell at them, that creates anger, blood pressure rising, etc. Personally, I go on vacation to relax and to have fun. Having to get a in a loud argument when I check in is not relaxing or fun and it starts the whole thing out negatively.

This is exactly why I ignore the whole process; no fuss, no muss. I used to play the game; said no; sometimes they accepted it but other places not. I tried contacting corporate to get on a do not contact list; worthless. I tried reasoning; they just see that as a challenge. So I decided to take myself out of the game. I noticed that they only 'required' the parking pass at resorts that had sales offices so that was my clue that they weren't required at all. Then they started using the passes at all resorts but by then I was done playing the game. I have been chased out into the parking lot a couple of times (Birch Bay and Seaside) and I just tell them I don't need a pass and walk on. I probably stay at more resorts than most and I have yet to find any that really require a pass. Just look around at any parking lot and notice the number of cars not displaying the pass.

We all want to be cooperative and do what we are 'supposed' to do. The Wyndham sales team plays on that by making this whole thing up. Just refuse to participate and keep the blood pressure down. I have also found the post-stay survey to be a helpful tool by making the manager more likely to push back against the sales team.

Sue

Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2015 11:48 am   

Pcmama wrote:
Ugh.. oh well.

I would telephone the resort Manager, tell him that if you must not be bothered in any way by the sales team, and your request to have the parking pass at check-in was not accepted. They should do this as a courtesy, AND, the resort desk manager has the power to get that done.

You could also telephone the sales team yourself, and tell them you want that parking pass at the front desk. Either that, or you talk very loudly about resale next time you are in the hot-tub.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2015 7:20 pm   

Too much trouble. Just ignore the sales people.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2015 9:24 pm   

I tune them out too. I smile and say "uh huh." I don't care what they are saying. I just agree. I get my pass and then we go. We unplug our phone.

There have been previous posts about the fact that no one has seen a car get towed yet... Not that I'm daring the mgmt firm to stoop that low!

WM Visits: Seaside, Leavenworth, Lake Chelan, Eagle Crest, Mariner Village, Windsor, Birch Bay, Long Beach, Camlin, Discovery Bay, Victoria, Gleneden, ArrowPoint, Depot Bay, Clear Lake, Marina Dunes, South Shore, Running Y

Exchanges: DVC Saratoga Springs & Beach Club, Cape Cod, Ka'anapali Beach Club, Marriott GV Orlando, Marriott GC Las Vegas, Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Ocean Watch, RCC Cruises: Caribbean, Hawaii

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2015 9:47 pm   

drguy wrote:
Pcmama wrote:
So I called WM South Shore to ask them to include my parking pass at check in and they told me "they don't do that". Um bleh. so now I have to deal with the parking pass people?! Strategies folks for getting away from them?!

If it creates a tremendous amount of stress in your life, it may be time to say goodbye to WorldMark. Practice saying no in front of a mirror 100 times per day and it will come naturally when you are asked to attend an update/educational event.
Don't give an insignificant piece of paper (Parking pass) the power to impact your life negatively.
If it makes you feel better, be loud and obnoxious when saying NO!!!! Loudly announce that no means no and ask what the person does not understand about the word no if they are persistent.

PCmama is a new owner. I don't think she realized the problems the sales staff can create when trying to enjoy a vacation.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar 2015 11:13 pm   

drguy wrote:

Unfortunately, the salespeople attempt to take advantage of your politeness and good nature. They truly believe that if you are saying "no" that you will be an easier sell at the update, or why would you refuse? It is then easy to become jaded, escalate to being rude or lying and later loud and obnoxious. At my last check in, I just said "I have a shuttle driver waiting for me, who is nice enough to wait to drive me and my luggage to my room. I gotta go." It was true, but it also let them know I don't need a parking pass. I just find that it is easier to say something truthful, that I am in a rush and maybe I will have time later and I am out the door before they can answer. Confrontation really doesn't work well. They have heard every type of "no" many times each day. There is no need to make yourself look crazy in the hotel lobby.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar 2015 10:06 am   

herindoors wrote:
drguy wrote:
Pcmama wrote:

PCmama is a new owner. I don't think she realized the problems the sales staff can create when trying to enjoy a vacation.

Yeah. Not too new. Just newish enough to know these guys are scum. I'm more concerned that they will bother my guests than me. I'll deal with them.. these same friends stayed with me at marriott ko olina (on a wm exchange!) An almost went to a sales presentation. They didnt after i told them about resale.

Anyway thanks for the tops all. I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar 2015 6:05 am   

So.. got here. So far so good. I checked in for my guests, grabbed the parking pass for them. The parking pass gal was not pushy. I think it helped that I got no sleep flying over on the red eye and honestly everything she asked me had a delayed response and the kids were running around. She had me fill out a survey for the family that was with us and I checked off that they were not traveling with spouse, and night 2 and no call from sales yet.

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar 2015 1:25 pm   

You can always just tell them you were dropped off in a cab or Uber and don't need a parking pass if it makes it easier for those who have anxiety.

Steve

Big Bear; Bass Lake; Oceanside; Las Vegas Blvd; Las Vegas Spencer St; Marina Dunes; Angels Camp; Solvang; Running Y; Windsor; St. George; Palm Springs; Indio; Southshore-Tahoe; Kihei; Mission Valley SD; West Yellowstone; Seaside; Depoe Bay; Phoenix South Mountain; RCI: Disney:AKV; Hilton: Kohala Suites; II: Marriott:NCV; Hyatt:Wild Oak Ranch; Wyndham:National Harbor; Wyndham:Sedona; Misc:Rim Village:Moab;

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2015 12:09 pm   

No need to be anxious. As others have suggested, just walk past the sales desk and don't pick up the pass. You absolutely do not need it. I have only picked up the pass a few times over hundreds of stays. I did have one chase me out the door at Seaside. I was just firm at stating that if they want me to have one, the will have it at the front desk at check in next time and keep walking. Bypassing the sales staff keeps me from getting upset upon checkin.

Have stayed at too many to list. As of 11/14/14 we have had the opportunity to stay 233 times in our Worldmark units. We feel blessed!

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2015 12:50 pm   

I just returned from a stay at Depoe Bay and Seaside; both with active sales desks and reputations for not taking "no" for an answer.
I was absolutely astounded at checking into Depoe to have the clerk say: "I see that you prefer to have me pick up your parking pass for you" I responded that I don't participate in the parking pass thing. She said okay and then : "I see you prefer to not give your cell number and don't want any calls". She went over and got my free egg coupon (unique to Gleneden and Depoe Bay) but no parking pass and I was on my way. Perfect and it's about time. So I was wondering if this was just Depoe or across resorts but no such luck. At check in at Seaside, the clerk filled out the card with her name for me to give to the sales folks so she would get credit for getting another sucker to the sales desk. I declined and had to tell her twice that I would not be going to the parking pass people and please hand me my keys.
Depoe has a new manager so perhaps this is a result. The last 2 visits had serious management issues so I'm glad to see a huge improvement.

Sue

Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.