Register
It is currently Mon 16 Oct 2017 4:57 pm

Parking Pass Anxiety..

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2015 2:11 pm   

sue1947 wrote:
I just returned from a stay at Depoe Bay and Seaside; both with active sales desks and reputations for not taking "no" for an answer.
I was absolutely astounded at checking into Depoe to have the clerk say: "I see that you prefer to have me pick up your parking pass for you" I responded that I don't participate in the parking pass thing. She said okay and then : "I see you prefer to not give your cell number and don't want any calls". She went over and got my free egg coupon (unique to Gleneden and Depoe Bay) but no parking pass and I was on my way. Perfect and it's about time. So I was wondering if this was just Depoe or across resorts but no such luck. At check in at Seaside, the clerk filled out the card with her name for me to give to the sales folks so she would get credit for getting another sucker to the sales desk. I declined and had to tell her twice that I would not be going to the parking pass people and please hand me my keys.
Depoe has a new manager so perhaps this is a result. The last 2 visits had serious management issues so I'm glad to see a huge improvement.

Sue

Sue,

I am not sure if it is a change or not. I have had one of the personal at the front desk give me the parking pass (already done before I arrived) a couple times stating she knew that I did not want to go through the Sales staff. I had previously let them know at the front desk that if they wanted me to have one, they would have to give it to me at the front desk. So a number of times they have had it waiting for me, but then I have been there since when they did not. So I was not sure if the staff just recognize my name as I have been there many times or if they had a note on my file? In any event, I quit making an issue of it at the front desk at any of the resorts a long time ago as it just became uncomfortable for me and them. I find it much easier just to smile and nod my head like I will be going over to the sales desk to get my parking pass and then instead, walk right past them and do not pick it up. If the sales give me a hard time, I just make the statement that I don't do the sales line and if they want me to have a parking pass they can have it ready at the front desk the next time and keep walking. I don't argue with them, I just keep walking. I find this much less stressful for me and the front desk that are just doing what there told to do.

Have stayed at too many to list. As of 11/14/14 we have had the opportunity to stay 233 times in our Worldmark units. We feel blessed!

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2015 4:13 pm   

"As of 11/14/14 we have had the opportunity to stay 233 times in our Worldmark units. We feel blessed!"

Wow, Ken! That's amazing! :D

Owner since 2002. Have Visited 31 Worldmark, & 31 Exchanged Resorts - we love our Worldmark!

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2015 4:22 pm   

LLW wrote:
"As of 11/14/14 we have had the opportunity to stay 233 times in our Worldmark units. We feel blessed!"

Wow, Ken! That's amazing! :D

We definitely feel spoiled. We have slowed down our use some!

Have stayed at too many to list. As of 11/14/14 we have had the opportunity to stay 233 times in our Worldmark units. We feel blessed!

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2015 6:45 am   

So we were at Seaside this week and I tried calling ahead to get my pass at the front desk, because I was flying solo with my children and 83 year old mother. They said they'd make a note, but when I got there, nothing. However, when I went, annoyed, to the pass desk, and they asked me the name on the reservation, I pointed out it was under my husband's name, but that he wasn't with me. That seems to be the magic phrase, as I was given the local info and pass without even being invited to an update. I'm doing this from now on whether or not he's there!

Interestingly, I then got a phone call asking if I had picked up a pass, and who had helped me. I couldn't remember, but I didn't get asked about an update then either, or on further days. Perhaps they are toning things down. I know we are on their sales list because we get offers in the mail (fabulous "
loan rates... haha).

Anyway, I still marked down the check-in experience on the survey because they failed to follow up on my request, but overall it went fine.

And yes I know I don't need a pass, that lots of cars didn't have them, and that when I forgot to put it back up after dinner nothing happened. I'm just one of those pushover rule followers they take advantage of and I go along, wishing I were someone else. But I am perfectly willing to pull the no husband line again... or send my husband, who always just blames his annoying wife for not wanting to go to an update and gets sympathy instead of pressure!

Claire

Worldmarks visited: Seaside, Eagle Crest, Leavenworth, Arrow Point, San Diego Mission Valley, West Yellowstone, Kona, Chelan Lake House, Canmore, Mccall, Seattle, Indio, Cathedral City, Oceanside, Depoe Bay, Victoria, Discovery Bay, Surfside, San Francisco, Marina Dunes, Kihei, Deer Harbor

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2015 8:50 am   

chiarav wrote:
or send my husband, who always just blames his annoying wife for not wanting to go to an update and gets sympathy instead of pressure!

That's a great idea. I think I'll use that one. That way, I don't feel like we are lying and hopefully they won't hold my husband hostage for too long when checking in.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017 5:36 pm   

javanite wrote:
When the reservation clerk hands you your room key, and tells you to go over there to get your parking pass, you smile, nod, and walk right out the door to your car.

Finally tried this on our trip last week. In Angels Camp after driving three hours in some bad-at-times traffic from San Jose, I put up with the parking pass dance. I wasn't really in the mood. The sales guy wasn't really that obnoxious, but after a long drive, the last thing I want to do is listen to a sales pitch.

A couple days later in Windsor, the check-in desk was sending me over to the parking pass sales guys. I said I won't go over there. Do I really need the pass? She said they only use if there is a security issue - they can contact me if they see something wrong with my car. I said I'd take that risk and walked out the door past the sales guys harassing guests. Felt good. Next time, I'll graduate to your method of not even saying anything.

We also had stops in Marina Dunes and Solvang. So much more relaxing at resorts without sales presence.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017 6:28 pm   

chiarav wrote:
I'm just one of those pushover rule followers

I think this is where so many owners go wrong. There is no parking pass rule. It is only a ploy to sign-up owners for an "update".

I visit the parking pass desk just to see what the offer may be to attend the update/sales presentation. I never hang the paper pass on the mirror, and nothing ever happens.

Most tellingly, no parking passes are required at resorts that do not have a sales office. If parking passes were some kind of rule, wouldn't every resort have parking passes?

The post-stay surveys have nothing to do with the sales department and their antics. It always saddens my heart when I read that owners downgraded the excellent resort staff due to the sleazy sales staff. If you do not want a parking pass hassle, don't put the responsibility on the resort staff. Take the earlier advice to just walk out with room keys in-hand and sans parking pass.

Some owners stupidly give a "zero" down the line on the resort survey, as some sort of "protest" vote, because of their experience either with the parking pass desk and/or the subsequent sales meeting. This is entirely unfair to the resort staff that is rated on these surveys but have nothing to do with the sales department.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017 10:33 pm   

I don't usually mark down the resort because of sales pressure. I do mark down the "view of Wyndham" question. And when I have specifically called ahead and asked for the parking pass to be in my reservation packet, and they don't do it, I think I have the right to mark down the resort. It's their responsibility to make me the guest happy, not the Wyndham sales staff....

And I have gotten parking passes at places without sales staff (including in Canada) so I don't think that distinction is true anymore.

Worldmarks visited: Seaside, Eagle Crest, Leavenworth, Arrow Point, San Diego Mission Valley, West Yellowstone, Kona, Chelan Lake House, Canmore, Mccall, Seattle, Indio, Cathedral City, Oceanside, Depoe Bay, Victoria, Discovery Bay, Surfside, San Francisco, Marina Dunes, Kihei, Deer Harbor

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017 6:46 am   

1nceBurned2wiceShy wrote:
The post-stay surveys have nothing to do with the sales department and their antics. It always saddens my heart when I read that owners downgraded the excellent resort staff due to the sleazy sales staff. If you do not want a parking pass hassle, don't put the responsibility on the resort staff. Take the earlier advice to just walk out with room keys in-hand and sans parking pass.

Some owners stupidly give a "zero" down the line on the resort survey, as some sort of "protest" vote, because of their experience either with the parking pass desk and/or the subsequent sales meeting. This is entirely unfair to the resort staff that is rated on these surveys but have nothing to do with the sales department.

On the post-stay surveys, there are two questions I will always give them the lowest score and I don't feel the least bit badly about doing so:
1) On the question of whether Wyndham respects me, they always get a zero. Wyndham sees me as a potential mark from whom to fleece more money - not as a guest.
2) If the resort plays sales games at check-in, they get a zero on the check-in experience question. These days, when I check in at any hotel whether it be a Hilton, Marriott, or Holiday Inn, I get my room key and I'm off in under a minute. Anything longer is an exception. Until Wyndham can match that experience, I will mark them down for it.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017 8:22 am   

The last 3 or 4 questions in the Post-Stay Survey are all about Wyndham and not the Resort or the Resort Staff. In that I am a Member of Worldmark The Club and not Wyndham I always give low marks to these last couple questions. I have explained my position to OC.

Las Vegas-Boulevard, Victoria, Seaside, Windsor, Clear Lake, Running Y, Coral Baja, Kona, Kihei, Tropicana, Oceanside, Sydney, Daytona Beach, Coffs Harbour - Terraces, Gleneden, Canadian, Fiji, Rotorua, Kapa'a Shore, Mission Valley, Camlin, Arrow Point, West Yellowstone, New Orleans, Park City, St. George, Seven Mile Beach, Long Beach Wa, Reno NV.
Residence Club - Seaside. Royal Solaris. DRI. Formerly RVC.
II - Newport Coast.
RCI - Fitzpatrick Castle Ireland, Bali Hai Kauai, Dyserth Falls Resort Wales, Haven Court Wales, DVC Old Key West, DVC Saratoga, Sea Mist Resort Cape Cod, Point at Poipu, Kilconquhar Estate and Country Club Fife Scotland, Club Paihia New Zealand, Grand Mayan Cabo, Ka'Eo Kai, Kauai.
RVC - Cabo, Cancun.
DRI - Le Manoir Des Deux Amants Connelles France, Royal Regency Vincennes France, Paniolo Greens, Sea Mountain, Point at Poipu.
Newly planned and Reserved: Leavenworth.