Register
It is currently Fri 24 Nov 2017 2:33 pm

Best resort for families???

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015 10:44 am   

In your opinion which is the best resort for families?
You can see where we've been in my signature and I'm looking for a new place. Our kids range in age from 9-18 and we like to hike, go to amusement parks, ride bikes, ski/snowboard, surf, SUP, fish.

I like 3 bedrooms but we can sometimes work with 2 if my oldest isn't with us. We like a nice pool, good weather and lots to do nearby.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015 10:58 am   

Oceanside -- free pier fishing, surfing, cycling to Carlsbad and area. LEGOLAND is in Carlsbad. San Diego easily drivable and there is an animal farm not far away.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015 1:38 pm   

jv2006 wrote:
You can see where we've been in my signature and I'm looking for a new place. Our kids range in age from 9-18 and we like to hike, go to amusement parks, ride bikes, ski/snowboard, surf, SUP, fish.

I like 3 bedrooms but we can sometimes work with 2 if my oldest isn't with us. We like a nice pool, good weather and lots to do nearby.

Seaside in the summer - good weather, nice pool, right in town for teenagers to walk anywhere, shops and restaurants within walking distance, biking and hiking available, fishing available down the Oregon Coast, whale-watching, bon fires at night, beach activities during the day.

Owner since 2002. Have Visited 31 Worldmark, & 31 Exchanged Resorts - we love our Worldmark!

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015 3:00 pm   

Daytona. The absolute best resort in WM system for amenities. Great beach. Local activities like go karts, etc. :D

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015 4:45 pm   

I love these type of threads; it gets me dreaming of places to go and my travel list gets longer.

Looks like you have CA mostly covered between where you've been and suggestions in your other thread.
Arizona: Rancho Vistoso has nice large units (the 3 BR have enough space so you don't have to move furniture to use the murphy bed/ It has good weather and lots of hiking/biking options all around in Saguaro National Park and the Catalinas etc.

Oregon: Running Y has the golf course with the bike trail around it on the property. It's on a huge lake for water activities. Hiking and mountain biking is in the nearby Mountain Lakes and Sky Lakes Wilderness areas along with Lava Beds National Monument and Crater Lake is less than an hour away. The bugs are annoying in the early summer but they don't bite; however, fall/late summer is your best bet. It's on the east side of the Cascades so has a drier climate.
Eagle Crest for outdoor activities of all types in the area between the Three Sisters Wilderness for alpine views to the high desert scenery and rock climbing at Smith Rocks (if you aren't a climber they are very fun to watch). There's a good bike path around the resort here as well.
WA: if you want to stay with drier/warm weather, then the Lake Chelan resorts or Leavenworth are a good option.
ID: Arrow Point is on the lake and the area has some really nice and quite long bike trails along with the water park to the north (can't remember the name).
CO: Estes Park is a great spot for kids. The 3 BR units there vary in size quite a bit. The older and smaller ones are down along the river with elk walking through while the larger ones are one level back and have large living areas but smaller bedrooms. The 2 BR are too small; very poorly designed (the bedrooms don't even have closets).
Canmore and the Canadian Rockies would be ideal for your family, but the units are all too small. There are only a few 2 BR units so they go fast and the LR is too small for the sofa sleeper to be convenient. The 1 BR units have 2 beds in the bedroom (can't remember if they are double or queen) so you might be able to do a 2 BR and a 1 BR if one of the older kids can supervise in the other unit.

So many places, so little time....

Sue

Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015 5:22 pm   

Now the OP will find it hard to decide! =D>

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015 9:51 pm   

As Alvin Roth - one of the greatest tournament duplicate bridge players of all time always said when presented a difficult and complex bidding or playing problem: "What's the problem?" Hasn't anybody here been to West Yellowstone? All the other suggestions come in second. But, then again, opinions are like ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Roth

tom - the "I don't play much any more" bridge player.

Purchased original resale points late in 2008. Added more in 2010. Added second account in 2014.

EXCHANGES - Sedona Summit, Villas at Cave Creek, Newport Coast Villasx2, Shawnee River Village, Welk Resort Villas, Sheraton Desert Oasis, Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sunchaser Villas at Riverside, Willowbrook at Lake Harmony (for our son), Four Seasons Residence Club Scottsdalex2, Westin Kierland Villas, Sedona Vacation Club at Los Abrigados, HVC at Flamingo (thanks Seth and Ann), Four Seasons Avariax3, The Ridge at Sedona, Palm Canyons, Marriott Canyon Villas

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015 10:50 pm   

jv2006 wrote:

The problem with this question is the use of the word "best" best implies that there is only one, and I cant agree that there is only one..

Dennis probably got it right though... Its hard to beat Daytona Beach

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015 6:37 pm   

Your posts reminded me of this post from 2009:
http://www.wmowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21765

Check it out for inspiration.

Sue

Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015 7:09 pm   

DenMar wrote:
Daytona. The absolute best resort in WM system for amenities. Great beach. Local activities like go karts, etc. :D

Daytona? Really interesting. Tell us more, Dennis?

Resorts visited: Kapaa Shores, Seaside, Gleneden, Depoe Bay, Longbeach, Eagle Crest, Running Y, Camlin, Yellowstone, Anaheim, Reno.
*Future WorldMark Reservations: (None currently-hoping to go to Victoria next)
*RCI trades: Hilton Grand Vacations Lagoon Tower, Pono Kai, Maui Sunset, Eagle Crest, Ka'anapali Beach Club, Hilton Grand Vacations Waikoloa, Lawai Beach
*II trades: Westin Kaanapali, Maui Marriott, Marriott Ko'Olina

I SUPPORT AN INDEPENDENT WM BOARD!!!

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015 7:28 pm   

crystalpokorny wrote:
DenMar wrote:

Yes. Did you see any alligators? I've seen them in the drainage ditches at Publix (close by...but not at the resort).

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar 2015 8:56 am   

This resort has 5 pools, 3 indoors and 2 outdoors, with a lazy River and water slide. There is an indoor miniature golf course and an outdoor putting green. The beach is large and flat, think Seaside, with better weather then Seaside. Attached to the resort is a movie theater complex. Daytona also has a small boardwalk with games and rides. My kids and others that I have sent there really enjoyed it. :D

WM=Kihei, Seaside, Gleneden, Mariner Village, Orlando, Ocean Walk, Lake Chelan, St George, Las Vegas, Birch Bay, Indio, Camlin, Leavenworth, Yellowstone, Arrow Point, Kapaa, Eagle Crest, Midway, McCall, Coral Baja, Cascade Lodge, Canadian, Elysian, Oceanside, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, Kona, Windsor, L.V. Spencer St, 7th Mtn, Reno: other=Bay Club, Summit Watch, Grand Oasis, Marriott Kauai, Camelback resort, Paradise Beach Villas, Bavarro Princess, Club Cala de Palmas, Pend Oreille Shores, Copamarina Beach Resort, Whistler Town Plaza, Kona Coast, Wavecrest at Del Mar, Grand Mayan N.V., WYN Mauna Loa, Kings Land

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar 2015 8:58 am   

TahoeGary wrote:
crystalpokorny wrote:
DenMar wrote:

Yes. Did you see any alligators? I've seen them in the drainage ditches at Publix (close by...but not at the resort).

The only gators we saw were at the business's that had them for attractions.

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr 2015 4:51 pm   

jv2006 wrote:

Where did you decide to go?

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2015 6:42 am   

jv2006 wrote:

Not knowing where you live does make a difference but what we found with our family and friends was Eagle Crest worked out the best. Lots to do on the grounds there and nearby.
We have always found just going to a new area was an experience in itself. Nearby and/or on site was golf,horseback riding,caves, mountains,small towns. A longer drive is Crater Lake. Oh, I forgot fishing at Eagle Crest and everywhere else in the area. Too much to even imagine depending on when you would go. Snow in the mountains, rafting nearby, etc. all depends on you,kids,finances, etc. Rent/bring bikes.
Bart