Register
It is currently Tue 14 Aug 2018 3:47 am

Cabo in June/July, Questions

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr 2004 3:16 pm   

First of all thanks for the welcome Nena :) , now for another Cabo question if you guys dont mind;
We will be there from June 26-July 3rd. Going with 4 teenagers. Dont ask me how that happened. #-o , however now that vacation is booked,
1)I am deciding on whether to rent a car or not. Recommendations?
2) Can teens keep busy at resort?
3) How far is nearest swimming beach, can you get there via bus?
4) Is bus reliable to get to Cabo, easy to ride with teens?
5) Food? I thought I read where there is a Costco nearby resort. Does bus go near Costco, or taxi better for that. I am sure taxi better on way back to resort. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Any other suggestions, recommendations would be extremely grateful, as I am hoping week goes smooth as can be with 4 teens.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr 2004 4:24 pm   

We had 3 teens with us in Kihei in January. We "own" 2 and borrowed another. We really had a great time. We are also going to Cabo. We will be there in August, so I really look forward to feedback from you when you get back.

Thanks,

Karen

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr 2004 5:26 pm   

We have 2 of our own, and each bringing a friend, 2 aged 16 and 2 aged 14...OH MY!!

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr 2004 8:58 pm   

marinehawk wrote:
First of all thanks for the welcome Nena :) , now for another Cabo question if you guys dont mind;
We will be there from June 26-July 3rd. Going with 4 teenagers. Dont ask me how that happened. #-o , however now that vacation is booked,
5) Food? I thought I read where there is a Costco nearby resort. Does bus go near Costco, or taxi better for that. I am sure taxi better on way back to resort. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Any other suggestions, recommendations would be extremely grateful, as I am hoping week goes smooth as can be with 4 teens.

OK since the expert seems to be away, I'll see what I can come up with. Anyone feel free to correct me.
1) I have been twice and not rented a car. Some people rent a car for a day or two right at the resort.
2) Do the teens like to swim? There are horses to rent to ride; a little plane thing, and the pool.
3) There are beaches a short distance away. I think Bill says Playa Chileno, but I am not sure that's the name. Anyway it's not far, on the bus, and you can rent snorkel gear and stuff there. Anyone know?
4) The buses are very reliable. About every 20 min-30 mins. They do not run late. So if you're in Cabo San Lucas at night, you want to catch the bus early.
5) The Costco is close to Cabo San Lucas, about 18 mi. away. Didn't go there. Went to San Jose Del Cabo to the Public Mercado, took a taxi.
You have plenty of teens to pack the groceries home on the bus.
That's about all I know! Image

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr 2004 2:18 pm   

marinehawk wrote:

Quote:

Okay...question #1. The first year we went down we did the bus thing. It's okay but really not enjoyable after awhile and not very convenient if you want to just go grab an ice cream or something real quick. We went on line, rented a car at Alamo (about an hour from the airport) for $148 for the week (7 days). DO NOT rent at the resort...you will be charged around $100 a day. Go on the internet and check out the best prices for the week. We got a clunker but it had air-conditioning and an automatic transmission. It ran good it was just pretty dinged up. That was good for us because they couldn't find anymore dings on it...it would take to long. We actually didn't use it everyday but it sure was nice to have it when we wanted it. It made our vacation that much more enjoyable. I'd do it again even if it was more per week.

Question #2. The resort has all kinds of activities through out the day. Volleyball, bingo, painting, different things. The pool is awesome. They can rent horses. They can rent a ride in a glider like plane that my daughter and grandson loved. Check in at the desk and they have all kinds of activities they can schedule for you.

Question #3. Ya, Cabobill is the expert here. I do know that there is a swimmable beach about a mile down the road toward San Lucas that we went to. We even walked to it on the beach from Coral Baja.

Question #4. I think question #1 kind of gives you my feelings on this subject. Riding the bus is okay. They are fairly comfortable...typical buses. No air-conditioning and the time of the year that you are going is going to be hotter than all get out.

Question #5. When we went we actually took over 70 lbs of meat with us...we stayed for 3 weeks. The Costco wasn't open last summer otherwise we wouldn't have taken all that meat. I hear Costco is just like the Costco here in the States. The other stores there???? I personally wouldn't buy their meat. Again, see where the car would save you probably as much has it would cost you to rent the car? Eating out all the time is not cheap there. They have barbecuers there at the resort. It's really nice to be able to have some nice meals right there in your own suite. We were there 21 days and probably ate at the resort about 12-13 days total. Saved us a chunk of change.

Don't worry about the teens...they'll have a blast. You need to spend most of your time laying around the pool with a refreshing umbrella drink next to you at all times. Take the kids into San Jose and San Lucas one day each and spend the other 5 there at Coral Baja

Gary from Green Valley

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr 2004 6:09 pm   

Gary0365 wrote:
[Okay...question #1. The first year we went down we did the bus thing. It's okay but really not enjoyable after awhile and not very convenient if you want to just go grab an ice cream or something real quick. Question
#4. I think question #1 kind of gives you my feelings on this subject. Riding the bus is okay. They are fairly comfortable...typical buses. No air-conditioning and the time of the year that you are going is going to be hotter than all get out.

Gary, hi,
When we were there in February they had all new buses and taxis. They were very nice. It has something to do with the taxes etc. allowing them to upgrade everything. Cabobill knows the scoop. Anyway the buses were really nice and air conditioned. None of those funny looking yellow and red taxis either.
Quite an improvement. Made riding a lot nicer.
You must hold the record on weeks spent there. Image

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr 2004 6:53 pm   

I was at Coral Baja five years ago....

Am I right in remembering that you had to have change for the bus? I also seem to remember being charged 4 pesos, but being given a ticket for 3..... :twisted:

Is there a place nearby where you can buy fresh shrimp? I never did find it, but someone may have! Think it was at the trailer site nearby?

IT is a beautiful resort -- booked in again for next year.

ann

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr 2004 8:43 am   

Okay...question #1. The first year we went down we did the bus thing. It's okay but really not enjoyable after awhile and not very convenient if you want to just go grab an ice cream or something real quick. We went on line, rented a car at Alamo (about an hour from the airport) for $148 for the week (7 days). DO NOT rent at the resort...you will be charged around $100 a day. Go on the internet and check out the best prices for the week. We got a clunker but it had air-conditioning and an automatic transmission. It ran good it was just pretty dinged up. That was good for us because they couldn't find anymore dings on it...it would take to long. We actually didn't use it everyday but it sure was nice to have it when we wanted it. It made our vacation that much more enjoyable. I'd do it again even if it was more per week.

Thanks Gary for your reply. The problem I have is that the rental car for me, being that it is a van, as there are 2 adults and 4 teens, is $500 wk, just wondering if worth it or if bus good enough for transportation and rent a car for just a couple of days?

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr 2004 10:54 am   

N wrote:
marinehawk wrote:

OK since the expert seems to be away, I'll see what I can come up with. Anyone feel free to correct me.
1) I have been twice and not rented a car. Some people rent a car for a day or two right at the resort.
2) Do the teens like to swim? There are horses to rent to ride; a little plane thing, and the pool.
3) There are beaches a short distance away. I think Bill says Playa Chileno, but I am not sure that's the name. Anyway it's not far, on the bus, and you can rent snorkel gear and stuff there. Anyone know?
4) The buses are very reliable. About every 20 min-30 mins. They do not run late. So if you're in Cabo San Lucas at night, you want to catch the bus early.
5) The Costco is close to Cabo San Lucas, about 18 mi. away. Didn't go there. Went to San Jose Del Cabo to the Public Mercado, took a taxi.
You have plenty of teens to pack the groceries home on the bus.
That's about all I know! Image

Ok here is what I know. The bus stop is at the highway up the hill from worldmark. It costs somewhere between 1.50 and and 2 bucks each. The best beaches are chileno and santa maria, which are about 10 miles away.

If it is your FIRST TIME take the bus and see what is out there including going to cabo san lucas. BE PATIENT as the BUS does not run on a TIGHT SCHEDULE. Have hats ,sunscreen and water if taking the bus. It is MUCH CHEAPER in the long run. If you are planning to explore the baha RENT A CAR upfront as some of the rental costs will absorb the airport TAXI ride to the resort. send a PM if you have further questions.....Spanky

PostPosted: Sat 22 May 2004 2:40 pm   

Found the following on TravelZoo. Hope someone can take advantage of this!

http://dir.travelzoo.com/Vacations.asp? ... &id=148980

Special Offer from SunTrips.com: Top 20 deal - sells out quickly!
$169 -- Los Cabos from Oakland (R/T)

This fare is valid for departure on September 6, 13, and 20, returning 7 nights later.

Note: If you can leave this May then you can save an extra $20. Flights are available departing on May 21 (7 night stay), May 24 (4 night stay), and May 31 (4 or 7 night stay).

To Book: Call SunTrips at 1-800-464-2719 or call your travel agent.
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 7:30 to 6:30, Sat. 9-4, Sun 10-2 (PT)

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Mon 24 May 2004 7:06 pm   

Isn't the resort right on the beach? If yes, what makes it not a swimmable beach?

Retta

Make Vacations Happen!

Book airfare here! Competitive Pricing!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue 25 May 2004 9:24 am   

I understand that there is a really strong undertow.

Karen

PostPosted: Tue 25 May 2004 10:22 am   

wannagothere wrote:
Isn't the resort right on the beach? If yes, what makes it not a swimmable beach?

Retta

There is a sudden steep drop off, the waves come in aand hit the bottom, the lowest point we can see, of the drop off. It continues quite down steeply. If I could draw a pic looking at the drop from the side, you'd have about a 45 drop off from the sandy beach, down 4-5 feet where the waves hit and stop. When the tide is going out it sucks sand and everything else back out creating a terrific undertow. Even to stand on the side so you can get your feet wet, the sand is constantly moving out from below your feet.
If you go a ways north or south there are beaches that are swimmable. The Sea of Cortez is not the warmest by the way.
It is beautiful to watch and hear the waves from your unit or the pool area, but not to get into.