Register
It is currently Wed 18 Oct 2017 2:51 pm

Oceanside Harbor in California or La Paloma (Rosarito Beach)

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 1:00 pm   

linnysue wrote:
I have a 2-bedroom reserved at Oceanside Harbor for April 2010. Now how do I get the non-freeway end of the building on an upper floor? From the photos, there are rooms with a larger balcony with a blue railing and then a smaller balcony next to it. Just guessing, but are these the two bedrooms?

Unfortunately, you don't get a choice as to where your room is assigned.
It always depends on who is checking in/out and the date of your res. Someone checking into a 2 bedroom on the same day as you and who booked earlier than you gets the better room.

The fact that you have a 2 bedroom does help our chances of getting a better location.

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 1:02 pm   

Pstreet1 wrote:
We live in Rosarito Beach well over half the year by choice; if it were not safe, we'd stay in the U.S.; we have a home there which we love, and we're rarely there because we love it here more.

There are many things to do in and around Rosarito if you are willing to explore the area; I'd be glad to give you lists of more than enough to fill many, many days.

The Military is here, that is true. It's not that different from Europe. On our last trip to Paris, the military evacuated the airport and we were unable to retrieve our things for quite a while. We were held outside the terminal. It wasn't alarming. They aren't alarming here either. Where they are, criminals are not.

You certainly can drive a rental car across the border; I'll be glad to give you a list of rental companies that allow their cars to cross the border.

The picture by my name is my view from bedroom, dressing area, living room, dining room, kitchen, and front balcony. The back balcony has a different, but equally marvelous view.

I the past 7 days, we've attended a concert (for $10.00 each). The artists are leaving on a European tour in a week. It was outside, by an infinity pool with candles floating in the pool and candles on all the tables. Before the concert, we dined in a lovely dining room looking out on a pool and lots and lots of flowers. It was magical. We've eaten at one sea side restaurant with live guitar music and paid $1.50 each for tacos and margueritas (beer is $1.00). We've eaten at another with the waves so close that when the tide is in, spray hits the windows. The sea food is to die for at that one. We've eaten at a 5 star restaurant with possibly the best meal I have EVER had, 2 waiters per table, located in private nooks in a nursery; all that cost $14.95 per person. We've purchased a wonderful, buttery chardonnay at the winery for $4.00 a bottle. And we've had fabulous tacos at some of our favorite spots, and we've eaten at Burger King. We could have surfed (if I were younger), but we've spent a lot of time watching them. We could have ridden horses; we could have ridden dune buggies; we could have shopped for various things in open air markets.........Obviously, we love it here. Should you decide to come, you'll be perfectly safe, and I'd be happy to give you restaurant lists and activity lists. You'll be welcomed with open arms and friendly smiles; Rosarito loves its tourists, and because of the very unfair U.S. coverage of Mexico and the drug war, tourism is down--though the last two weekends have been very good.

As to driving through Tijuana, you really don't. The 4 lane, divided highway you take runs along the coast. Obviously, there are some buildings along the way, but you aren't in the city. We have many friends who live here full time; they aren't afraid; neither are we. We ALL drive to San Diego a minimum of once a week, and many drive 2 or 3 times a week for shopping, to see a movie, to see a doctor, etc. Until about 2 months ago, NOT ONE of us had ever been stopped by a policeman (and that person had made an illegal turn and was let go with a warning). We all look obviously American; we all drive new or newish cars; we all have American plates; none of us knows the police; none of us speaks Spanish (I don't say that proudly, just to indicate that speaking Spanish did not result in the man who was stopped being let go with a warning). If the kind of police harrassment the urban myths would have you believe happens actually did happen, one of us would have experienced it in the last 15 years with absolutely countless trips across the border and into Tijuana for various reasons.

=D> Thanks -- I love it that you are so happy in Rosarito and can add so much information for people wanting to go there!

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 1:23 pm   

herindoors wrote:
=D> Thanks -- I love it that you are so happy in Rosarito and can add so much information for people wanting to go there!

I second that. I still need to mosey on down that way.

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 2:17 pm   

If you decide to visit, be sure and ask me for information. I have lots of "info. sheets" already typed up on restaurants, things to do, etc., and I'm really happy to share. I'd like everyone who visits to love it as much as we do.

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 2:18 pm   

Eric wrote:
I second that. I still need to mosey on down that way.

I had to cancel two vacation plans to go to Rosarito Beach because friends and family refused to go, including wife. We went to Indio instead for one and Puerto Vallarta for the other. My wife and oldest son didn't even want to go to Puerto Vallarta, few weeks ago because of H1N1. 1 million cases of the flu in the U.S., neither one of them are talking leaving the U.S. Of course, if there are drug wars in Tijiuana, it must be in PV too.

This is the same woman that wants to take our daughter to Fairyland, which is located in Oakland, CA, the murder capital of the U.S. Also, she wants to go to Cabo. Apparently Baja California is not in Mexico, in her mind, but Tijuana is.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 2:29 pm   

People with your wife's mind set are what has really hurt tourism here, and it's a direct result of the way the U.S. media covers Mexico. It's sad. The murder rate in New Orleans tops the murder rate in Tijuana even with all the drug killings in Tijuana; then, of course, there's the murder rate in Detroit, Oakland, and even Washington D.C. The primary difference, as I see it, is that in U.S. cities, you can wind up in areas you really shouldn't be in by simply getting off the free way at the wrong exit because you're looking for a gas station. In Tijuana, the violence takes place on the far, far eastern side of the city--an area you, as a tourist, would be hard-pressed to even get to. You won't wander into it accidently. Almost without exception the killings of Americans have been proven to be drug related, but the American papers never go back and say "The 19 year old who was killed by drug cartels was a regular dealer." And definitely, the American papers don't tell tourists to stay out of New Orleans or Washington, D.C. because of the very high murder rate. Just about the only news they print from Mexico is bad. Imagine what would happen if only the tourist robberies and assaults were printed from Orlando. We know a policeman there who says the dangerous areas are literally a block from the main tourist avenue. No body tells tourists that though.

Good luck in getting down here one of these days. (The fall is glorious here.)

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 2:49 pm   

Pstreet1 wrote:
People with your wife's mind set are what has really hurt tourism here, and it's a direct result of the way the U.S. media covers Mexico. It's sad. The murder rate in New Orleans tops the murder rate in Tijuana even with all the drug killings in Tijuana; then, of course, there's the murder rate in Detroit, Oakland, and even Washington D.C. The primary difference, as I see it, is that in U.S. cities, you can wind up in areas you really shouldn't be in by simply getting off the free way at the wrong exit because you're looking for a gas station. In Tijuana, the violence takes place on the far, far eastern side of the city--an area you, as a tourist, would be hard-pressed to even get to. You won't wander into it accidently. Almost without exception the killings of Americans have been proven to be drug related, but the American papers never go back and say "The 19 year old who was killed by drug cartels was a regular dealer." And definitely, the American papers don't tell tourists to stay out of New Orleans or Washington, D.C. because of the very high murder rate. Just about the only news they print from Mexico is bad. Imagine what would happen if only the tourist robberies and assaults were printed from Orlando. We know a policeman there who says the dangerous areas are literally a block from the main tourist avenue. No body tells tourists that though.

Good luck in getting down here one of these days. (The fall is glorious here.)

I haven't given up. I send your posts to everyone that I vacation or plan to vacation with.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 3:34 pm   

If ever you want more information to send them, let me know. \:D/

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 4:15 pm   

Well now I'm thinking about doing a combo week, 3 nights in La Paloma, and 4 nights in Oceanside. If we do visit Rosarito, I'll be sure to contact you for the info you so generously provide us. Thanks! :P

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 4:25 pm   

=D>

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul 2009 8:07 pm   

One of the nice things about La Paloma is that it's within walking distance of downtown Rosarito. You can walk along the beach, or if you are braver walk along the road. (Just hold your nose when you walk by the sewer ponds!) :D The food in town is reasonable and delicious.(the restaurant on site is more expensive but not more delicious) But for us the nicest thing is that La Paloma is absolutely gorgeously landscaped. The existing resort was well established before WM bought in. There are four pools spread out throughout the compound with jacuzzi's next to them. The main pool adjacent to the activity center has plexiglass panels along the seaward edge of the pool so you get wonderful views with little wind!

If you like to relax you will LOVE La Paloma! O:)

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017 2:13 pm   

BonustimeJunki wrote:
There is not much to do in Rosarito not to mention a war going on.* You will like Oceanside much better and you can always day trip to Tijuana/Rosarito Via the San Diego Redline.

The Worldmark staff in Rosarito is not the same as in the US. Have your car on their lot at !2:01 on the day of checkout - it gets towed unless you bribe the security guard $15. Lose the parking pass pay $10!

* http://www.upi.com/Emerging_Threats/200 ... 248474661/

latest news

I've been to Rosarito least 10 times. Never had a problem.

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017 2:43 pm   

And I live there about half the year--no problems. The "war" is, of course, the drug rivalry. It has nothing to do with those who are not in any way involved with drugs.. Rosarito is safe for those who enjoy the beach, shopping, beautiful scenery, the wine valley, eating at fun places for non-US prices.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017 7:43 pm   

Izzy_P brought a 2009 post out of mothballs.