Register
It is currently Fri 15 Dec 2017 5:18 pm

Anaheim Resort - Review and Photos

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010 7:46 pm   

Ya gotta love it. This is what they now have just before you confirm a reservation: (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Anaheim Online - FROM 2009-05-28 TO 2012-05-27 Please be aware that this resort has a Transient Occupancy Tax that applies. Amount will be shown prior to final booking. During peak usage times, waits for the elevator could be significant. There is no RV or trailer parking onsite.

So they're trying to set expectations. Maybe they should also say that you will likely NOT have a view of the DLR. Unless you've above the 5th (or is it the 8th) floor and on the inside of the L, you will not have a view of the parks. All 3-bdrm and studio units are on the outside of the L.

Do NOT assign your proxy to the BoD. Assign your proxy to WMOwners, Inc.

STOP Increased Credit Requirements and Credit Dilution

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010 9:58 pm   

lconnors wrote:
It is also interesting to note that the villas at DVC's Grand Californian do not have a TOT. The hotel units do, but not the timeshare units. The units at Dolphin's Cove do not have a TOT either. DC before WM Anaheim, DVC after WM Anaheim, the only resort with a TOT is WM Anaheim. "Things that make you go hmmmmm."

To be fair, DVC's points value for Grand Californian is SO much more than the point value for comparable WDW resorts that the extra taxes might be built into the points needed to book a week. For WM, while the TOT amounts are :shock: , the amount combined with the m/f cost for credits necessary for a given week still works out to be MUCH cheaper than DVC.

For example, setting aside the big difference in initial upfront purchase price and using only m/fs/taxes for comparison:

At the Grand Californian, a highest season Spring Break or Xmas 2BR costs 650 points for the week, a July 4th 2BR costs 530 points, and a 2BR during the lowest season (month of January, for example) costs 340 points. At $3.94 in m/fs/taxes per point, that comes to $2561 for the Spring Break or Xmas week, $2088.20 for the July 4th week and $1339.60 for the January week.

A WM regular 2BR at 16,500 credit for those same three periods come to approximately $990 in m/fs (using $0.06 per credit) + $134.12 TOT = $1124.12.

Sure you pay extra for the benefit of staying on site and having more luxe decor. Still, DVC has charged way more for that benefit for Anaheim compared to Orlando. (For example, Beach Club 2BR during the highest season costs "just" 452 points compared to Grand Californian's 650 points, and Beach Club 2BR during the lowest season costs 270 points compared to GC's 340 points.) This makes me think the additional cost of doing business with Anaheim has already been passed onto DVC owners via the points valuation.

[And p.s., to buy enough DVC points to spend a single week at a 2BR GC during the lowest season every year without borrowing means an initial cost of roughly $34000 (at $100/point). That really is :shock: ]

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010 10:32 pm   

Amy wrote:
To be fair, DVC's points value for Grand Californian is SO much more than the point value for comparable WDW resorts that the extra taxes might be built into the points needed to book a week.

So what happens then if an owner of a different DVC resort (one where there is no TOT) stays at the Grand Californian? What if a Grand Californian owner uses his points to stay at a different DVC resort with no TOT?

Aren't there issues about having to show the tax seperately, etc?

I think that the legal/technial complications of trying to include TOT in MFs make it near impossible to do for a points based system.

Anyone know if the Marriot NCV has a TOT? What about Westin Rancho-Mirage?

Visited so far: Discovery Bay X 18, Vancouver X 30, Victoria X 60, Kona X 3, Camlin X 25, WM San Diego, Oceanside x 3, Schooner Landing, Surfside X 2, Birch Bay X 18, WM Kihei, Cascade Lodge, Seaside X 2, Depoe Bay, Cabo X 2, Canmore X 2, Winsor, San Francisco X 4, Kirra Beach X 1

II Exchanges: Kona Coast Resort x 2, Disney Saratoga Springs x 2, Disney Beach Club Villas x 2, Lawrence Welk Resort Villas x 6, Westin Ka'anapali x 5, Marriott Cypress Harbour X 2, Four Seasons Aviara x 4, Flagship Resort , Cranberry Waterfront Suites and Country Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club, Sands of Kahana, Welk Mountain Villas

RCI Exchanges: Disney Beach Club Villas x 3, Disney Saratoga Springs X 5, Aviawest Pacific Rim, Disney Boardwalk Villas x 2, Wapato Point X 2, WM Cabo

Other: Disney Bay Lake Towers x 2, Kona Coast Resort II x 4, Disney Boardwalk Villas x 4, Disney Saratoga Springs x 4, Disney Wilderness Lodge, Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House, Disney Grand Californian Villas

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010 11:01 pm   

canmic wrote:
So what happens then if an owner of a different DVC resort (one where there is no TOT) stays at the Grand Californian? What if a Grand Californian owner uses his points to stay at a different DVC resort with no TOT?

Aren't there issues about having to show the tax seperately, etc?

I think that the legal/technial complications of trying to include TOT in MFs make it near impossible to do for a points based system.

Anyone know if the Marriot NCV has a TOT? What about Westin Rancho-Mirage?

Marriott NCV does NOT have a TOT.

As for DVC - no, it's not built in because they can't change the point values and the TOT continues to rise.

As for DVC Grand Californian costing so many more points than an Orlando DVC, well, they can. There are only 50 units in Anaheim, so the general demand is greater. Not only that, but a 2-bdrm at DVC GC sleeps 9, as in NINE people. While I don't like to crowd folks into the living room, it's cheaper to get a 2-bdrm unit at DVC than a 1-bdrm and a 2-bdrm at WM. In the 2-bdrm units there are 3 bathrooms, in the 1-bdrm unit, 2 bathrooms.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010 11:34 pm   

On the DIS boards, GC owners have reported the fee breakdown for GC includes a TOT, currently (as of last July) at $0.34/point. See post #8 on http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2223413. So I assume that value would increase each year if required by the tax authorities.

As to the issues raised by canmic, I think it is interesting but probably comes down to the fact that for DVCs you still buy pointed that are deeded to a particular resort, so using points elsewhere is more like an exchange. It certainly doesn't seem fair to either the GC owners who use their points elsewhere and contrary to how TOTs are applied elsewhere where only the person staying at the actual resort pays that tax. But that is a subject for GC owners to tackle!

As for the other increases in points cost for GC vs. WDW units, the additional cost of building a timeshare in So. Cal must be a factor. If you were to look at the new Bay Lake Resort at the Contemporary where 2BR also sleeps 9 and the Kadani resort at Animal Kingdom Lodge where 2BR also sleeps 9, GC still costs more in terms of point.

What is odd is that even with added TOT (and apparently the only DVC week with that on the annual bill), GC's m/fs currently rank 2nd lowest in the DVC family. :-s For example, GC's m/fs is $3.94/pt whereas OKW is $4.87, Beach Club is $5.15 and Wilderness Lodge is $5.20 per point. I guess the non-GC DVC owners end up sort of paying for the TOT by paying the additional points required to stay at GC, even though GC owners have already paid that tax. My last sentence doesn't even sound logical to me.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb 2010 11:45 pm   

Amy wrote:
What is odd is that even with added TOT (and apparently the only DVC week with that on the annual bill), GC's m/fs currently rank 2nd lowest in the DVC family. :-s For example, GC's m/fs is $3.94/pt whereas OKW is $4.87, Beach Club is $5.15 and Wilderness Lodge is $5.20 per point. I guess the non-GC DVC owners end up sort of paying for the TOT by paying the additional points required to stay at GC, even though GC owners have already paid that tax. My last sentence doesn't even sound logical to me.

Actually the reason GC has lower MFs is because of the higher pt values. It costs the same to clean a room regardless of how expensive the land under it is, etc...

The same is true for BLT if I remember right, it has higher pt values and low MFs per pt.

Of course, if one is going to be mostly going to WDW in the off season, so the 7 month booking instead of 11 month isn't as big a deal, it makes sense to buy GC or BLT even if you want to stay at BCV or AKL because your MFs will be lower...

I'll have to sit down and do the math, as I'm planning on adding some more DVC soon.

Visited so far: Discovery Bay X 18, Vancouver X 30, Victoria X 60, Kona X 3, Camlin X 25, WM San Diego, Oceanside x 3, Schooner Landing, Surfside X 2, Birch Bay X 18, WM Kihei, Cascade Lodge, Seaside X 2, Depoe Bay, Cabo X 2, Canmore X 2, Winsor, San Francisco X 4, Kirra Beach X 1

II Exchanges: Kona Coast Resort x 2, Disney Saratoga Springs x 2, Disney Beach Club Villas x 2, Lawrence Welk Resort Villas x 6, Westin Ka'anapali x 5, Marriott Cypress Harbour X 2, Four Seasons Aviara x 4, Flagship Resort , Cranberry Waterfront Suites and Country Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club, Sands of Kahana, Welk Mountain Villas

RCI Exchanges: Disney Beach Club Villas x 3, Disney Saratoga Springs X 5, Aviawest Pacific Rim, Disney Boardwalk Villas x 2, Wapato Point X 2, WM Cabo

Other: Disney Bay Lake Towers x 2, Kona Coast Resort II x 4, Disney Boardwalk Villas x 4, Disney Saratoga Springs x 4, Disney Wilderness Lodge, Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House, Disney Grand Californian Villas

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2010 8:36 am   

The VGC TOT apparently has increased for 2010. Over at DVCNews.com they posted an updated summary of the GC budget and it shows $0.3529/point for the TOT.

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2010 1:57 pm   

Does anyone know which units would have a better view of DLR and a normal sized balcony--the standard 4 bedroom presidential or the SN 4 Bd presidential? I'm taking my grandkids next summer, and am trying to decide between the SN 4 Bd presidential and regular 4Bd presidential.

I'm hoping that someone who has either viewed them or stayed in one would have some insight. We'd need the extra room in a presidential, and sofa beds are so uncomfortable so I will avoid a standard 3Bd unless there is nothing else available.

Thanks,
Wendy

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2010 2:38 pm   

wendyo wrote:
Does anyone know which units would have a better view of DLR and a normal sized balcony--the standard 4 bedroom presidential or the SN 4 Bd presidential? I'm taking my grandkids next summer, and am trying to decide between the SN 4 Bd presidential and regular 4Bd presidential.

I'm hoping that someone who has either viewed them or stayed in one would have some insight. We'd need the extra room in a presidential, and sofa beds are so uncomfortable so I will avoid a standard 3Bd unless there is nothing else available.

Thanks,
Wendy

Go back to the first page of this thread and there's a map of the resort. All of the 4-bdrm presidential unit have real balconies and a view of the DLR. Those farthest away from Katella will maybe have a better view, but the 4-bdrm prez unit all have balconies on the inside of the L and are on the top 2 floors. They take up the entire width of the building at both ends of the L and therefore have windows that look out at various views, but the balconies are all on the inside of the L.

If you book a 3-bdrm presidential, you are more likely than not to have NO DLR view, and none of them have real balconies.

PostPosted: Tue 11 May 2010 12:13 pm   

Thanks Lynn, I really appreciate all of the help you and others provide on this forum--very helpful!

Wendy

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul 2015 12:50 pm   

Not that it's particularly useful, but here's an interesting shot from the Woody Parking lot at DLR.
https://goo.gl/photos/RCbjyupxowWEzD6y6

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul 2015 9:03 pm   

damitws6 wrote:
Not that it's particularly useful, but here's an interesting shot from the Woody Parking lot at DLR.
https://goo.gl/photos/RCbjyupxowWEzD6y6

That's neat!

WM VISITED: Indio (14x), Big Bear (3x), Solvang (3x), Orlando, Anaheim (5x), Depoe Bay (2x), Angels Camp (4x), Running Y, Las Vegas Blvd (3x), Dolphins Cove (3x), SD Mission Valley, Oceanside, Marina Dunes, Seaside, Queen Mary, Clear Lake, St. George (2x), Wolf Creek (2x), Bass Lake, and Yellowstone.
WM PENDING: Angles Camp, Clear Lake, Depoe Bay, Seaside, and Running Y
WYN: National Harbor DC
RCI: Royal Decameron Salinitas, El Salvador
II RESORTS: Amatique Bay Resort, Guatemala OTHER: July 2009 Seattle and Alaska, July 2010 Central America road trip (Guatemala City, Tikal, Antigua Guatemala) and, 2011 US coast to coast in a sleeper semi California to Georgia & California to Rhode Island.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan 2016 4:20 pm   

My family is heading back to Worldmark Anaheim for the first time in a few years.

Does the resort still accept grocery orders from Vons? That was a great timesaver the last time we were there.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2016 8:09 am   

I'll go read the descriptions but just wondering if anyone can give a brief explanation of the difference between a penthouse and a presidential suite?

Resorts visited: Lake Tahoe x4, Bass Lake x4, Clear Lake x3, Angel's Camp x2, Kona, Kapaa Shores, Running Y x37, Depo Bay x2, Reno x3, Marina Dunes, Las Vegas x5, San Francisco, Anaheim, Windsor x2, Schooner's Landingx2
Exchanges: Royal Goan Beach Resort, India
owner since1995

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2016 3:07 pm   

bracip wrote:
I'll go read the descriptions but just wondering if anyone can give a brief explanation of the difference between a penthouse and a presidential suite?

I have only been in a presidential suite at Anaheim for one night. But it had a computer for you to use. The furnishings were more upscale and plentiful, and it was more spacious than the penthouses at other Worldmark resorts.

Owner since 2002. Have Visited 31 Worldmark, & 31 Exchanged Resorts - we love our Worldmark!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10