Register
It is currently Fri 24 Nov 2017 2:06 pm

Closest WM to Redwood Forests in CA?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2009 12:44 pm   

Is there a WM property close to the Redwood Forest in CA?

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2009 12:59 pm   

tbiesinger wrote:

Depends where. Muir Woods is just across the bridge from San Francisco, 50 minutes south of Windsor, which has enough Redwoods to hike a few miles through. There are much more near the Oregon border, so Running Y would be a good possibility, although I have not been there.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2009 7:25 pm   

California Big Trees is close (30 miles?) to Angel's Camp and there's lots of availablity there.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep 2009 10:22 am   

Armstrong Grove is near Windsor.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep 2009 6:00 pm   

Clear Lake is the closest to the main sections of Redwoods in Northern California. However, it is not a good base. It can be done as a day trip, but a very long one with lots of time on the road. There are CA state parks with Redwood Groves within reach of both Clear Lake and Windsor, but for Redwood National Park and the associated CA state parks nearby, you are better off staying in one of the local towns.
The Calaveras Big Trees park has Sequoias and not Redwoods, but are really magnificant especially in the fall when the dogwood trees are changing color (early-mid Oct). The Dogwoods are the understory beneath the large trees and it's pretty nifty. On my must do list at Angels Camp.

Running Y is way too far from any Redwoods to be a reasonable daytrip.

Sue

Resorts Visited: All WA, OR, ID, MT, CO, UT resorts + Las Vegas Blvd, Reno, South Shore, Rancho Vistoso, Bison Ranch, Fairfield Sedona, Big Bear, Bass Lake, Angels Camp, Marina Dunes, San Francisco, Windsor, Clear Lake, Kona, Kauai, Oceanside, Pismo Beach, Solvang.

Non-WM:II (All blue deposits; studio-2BR) Grand Monarch Cancun, Newport Coast Villas, Pollard Brook, Harbor Ridge, FSA, Sedona Summit, Starr Pass Golf Suites, Lawrence Welk Resort villas, Stoneridge at Blanchard, Hyatt High Sierra, Ridge Tahoe, Marriott Desert Springs, Wyndham Oceanside on trade with owner. Manteo Club, Sunchaser Riverside, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf,Mountainside Fairmont Hot Springs. Getaways/AC: Ridge Tahoe, The Pines at Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Sedona Summit.
RCI:Lagoon Shores at Roche Harbor, Stoneridge (Sunriver), San Luis Bay Inn, GEVC at Lighthouse Point.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep 2009 6:38 pm   

sue1947 wrote:
Clear Lake is the closest to the main sections of Redwoods in Northern California. However, it is not a good base. It can be done as a day trip, but a very long one with lots of time on the road. There are CA state parks with Redwood Groves within reach of both Clear Lake and Windsor, but for Redwood National Park and the associated CA state parks nearby, you are better off staying in one of the local towns.
The Calaveras Big Trees park has Sequoias and not Redwoods, but are really magnificant especially in the fall when the dogwood trees are changing color (early-mid Oct). The Dogwoods are the understory beneath the large trees and it's pretty nifty. On my must do list at Angels Camp.

Running Y is way too far from any Redwoods to be a reasonable daytrip.

Sue
Running Y; I totally agree, I wouldn't even recommend it.

We have hoped for a Northern CA location, Eureka or a So. OR location, Bandon, or even Gold Beach to fill in the gap on the coast, but they are heading East. :shrug:

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep 2009 7:02 pm   

tbiesinger wrote:

When I think of Redwoods in Calif I think of Sequoia National Park... And the only place that is anywhere near there is Bass Lake.. And it isn't close........ Probably 100 miles or more.

Fred

Duh.... A 6' Pooka!!!

Bass Lake, Angels Camp X lots, Clear Lake X lots, SF, Leavenworth, Coral Baja X2, Las Vegas X3, Spencer Street X2, Rosarito Beach, Indio X2, St George, Kehei, Marriott Maui, Hawaiian Princess Oahu, Polo Towers LV, Mayan Palace PV, Royal Carribean Cancun, Moon Palace Cancun, Coral Mar Cancun, Playa Del Sol PV, Royal Mayan Cancun, Royal Sands Cancun, Royal Haciendas Cancun plus more to come!! Oh yea INDIO X LOTS LOL!!

Check out my blog @ http://fredsfriendlyblogspot.blogspot.com/

Fred

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep 2009 8:16 pm   

You could come visit my backyard. Seriously, can't see the forest through the trees!!

PostPosted: Mon 14 Sep 2009 12:03 pm   

What are you looking for in the way of Redwood experience? Just seeing the big trees? Seeing the REALLY big trees? the density of growth? old growth forest type of experience?

Lots of places to choose from. We like Windsor as it's close enough to really get into some tall trees without a loooong drive and we prefer the redwoods with moisture and dampness in the ground. Some of the others mentioned also make good day trips but different kind of climate/terrain. One not mentioned is Marina Dunes. You can day-trip drive into the hills behind Santa Cruz and see some pretty hefty trees in beautiful settings!

If you like to camp I can heartily recommend Del Norte Redwoods State Park on the coast almost as north as Eureka. BEAUTIFUL. Lovely lovely campground and lots of potential for day hikes. Our favorite!!

PostPosted: Mon 14 Sep 2009 1:51 pm   

strawbears wrote:
What are you looking for in the way of Redwood experience? Just seeing the big trees? Seeing the REALLY big trees? the density of growth? old growth forest type of experience?

Lots of places to choose from. We like Windsor as it's close enough to really get into some tall trees without a loooong drive and we prefer the redwoods with moisture and dampness in the ground. Some of the others mentioned also make good day trips but different kind of climate/terrain. One not mentioned is Marina Dunes. You can day-trip drive into the hills behind Santa Cruz and see some pretty hefty trees in beautiful settings!

If you like to camp I can heartily recommend Del Norte Redwoods State Park on the coast almost as north as Eureka. BEAUTIFUL. Lovely lovely campground and lots of potential for day hikes. Our favorite!!
That is my favorite area as well. I've never been to the "redwoods" anywhere else. Is that the Sequoia National Park?
Windsor would be my choice, but would consider it a Long day trip. Maybe stay over in Eureka or something. See the ocean etc.

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.

PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep 2009 9:01 am   

If you aren't a camper you could stay at a motel in Crescent City and visit the Redwoods. There is a motel near the entrance of Jedediah Smith State Park. Another camp ground south of Crescent City is the Mill Creek
State Park. There are hugh trees in both areas.

But if you just want to see trees and the do other things..Windsor would be best ( in my opinion ) It is less than 30 minutes from the resort. You take river road to Gureneville, turn right on Armstrong Grove Road. After you visit the trees you can turn right on River Rd., drive to the ocean. If you go right on highway 1 you can visit Fort Ross or left you can do a loop back to Windsor. ( hiighway 12 toward Santa Rosa )

PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep 2009 9:00 pm   

sue1947 wrote:

Just booked the 3rd weekend in October to check out the Big Trees and drive Hwy 88 over Carson Pass to see the beautiful fall colors.

PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep 2009 9:25 pm   

grammy8 wrote:
If you aren't a camper you could stay at a motel in Crescent City and visit the Redwoods. There is a motel near the entrance of Jedediah Smith State Park. Another camp ground south of Crescent City is the Mill Creek
State Park. There are hugh trees in both areas.

But if you just want to see trees and the do other things..Windsor would be best ( in my opinion ) It is less than 30 minutes from the resort. You take river road to Gureneville, turn right on Armstrong Grove Road. After you visit the trees you can turn right on River Rd., drive to the ocean. If you go right on highway 1 you can visit Fort Ross or left you can do a loop back to Windsor. ( hiighway 12 toward Santa Rosa )

This is what we are doing next fall when we go to Disneyland. That particular redwood park sounds lovely to me, so we will explore it on our way from up here in NW Washington. Then we will jog back over to I-5 and spend the next night near Sacramento, then 4 nights Anaheim (maybe Dolphins Cove), 3 nights Spencer St - Las Vegas, 1 night Utah, 1 night Jackson Hole Wyoming, up through Yellowstone, 1 or 2 nights in West Yellowstone (not in WM ), then over to Idaho for 1 or 2 nights, 1 night in Wenatchee and home. Lots of driving but seeing places I have never been, nor has our granddaughter.

Myrna

Lake Chelan, Cabo, Ocean Shores, Long Beach, Discovery Bay, Kapaa Shores x 3 (LOVE), Kona, Valley Isle, before any units belonged to WM, Kihei, Depoe Bay, Gleneden, Leavenworth, Birch Bay, Seaside (don't like), Dolphins Cove (love), Las Vegas on Spencer Street (love)

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep 2009 3:36 pm   

Octobers issue of National Geographic (due out end of September) is all about the Redwoods. I believe mainly covering Humboldt and Del Norte counties, home of the most abundant and largest redwoods. It apparently is suppose to list the "do not miss" spots. Might be helpful to you.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct 2009 2:24 pm   

N wrote:

We have hoped for a Northern CA location, Eureka or a So. OR location, Bandon, or even Gold Beach to fill in the gap on the coast, but they are heading East. :shrug:

Bandon or Gold Beach would be GREAT! However, unless we wrest control from Wyndham, we'll never get a new resort there. I expect they'll begin putting up WVO resorts here in the Northwest so they can sell the latest version of Travelshaft to WM owners. Not to mention so they can overfill the WM resorts with even more WVO people.

They suck. They so totally suck it's quite amazing.