Register
It is currently Mon 16 Oct 2017 4:41 pm

Nordic/Alpine skiing near WM Resorts-Last Updated 12/09/2012

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar 2012 8:39 am   

Location: Profile photo: Colorado City AZ near Worldmark St George UT
http://bearmountain.com/kia/

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012 9:42 pm   

http://www.saminfo.com/news/article.php?tid=5669

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2012 11:10 am   

June Mountain ski resort won't reopen this year

http://www.ocregister.com/travel/mammot ... egory.html

JUNE GLOOM: Mammoth announces it won't reopen June Mountain for summer activities and will keep it shut for winter skiing and snowboarding.

By GARY A. WARNER / Register Travel Editor

June Mountain won't open for summer sports - or winter skiing.

The future of the famously low-key alternative to nearby mega-resort Mammoth is in limbo while management figures out what to do with the mountain.
Article Tab: mountain-local-snowmaking
Beautiful winter mountain vistas and wide open ski runs make June Mountain a favorite for many local skiers seeking an alternative to Mammoth. With no snowmaking capacity, the resort closes each spring and normally reopens in the summer for hiking, bicycling and other sports. The owners said it will remain shut due to deficits.
PHOTO BY JEBB HARRIS, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER; TEXT BY GARY A. WARNER, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Rusty Gregory, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area Chairman and CEO, made the announcement Thursday, citing an annual operating deficit since Mammoth purchased the neighboring resort in 1986.

"It is time to invest some of this subsidy into the analysis and planning required to position the resort for a sustainable future, then secure the approvals and financing required to create it," Gregory said in a press release.

(Click here for Gary Warner's 2010 profile of June Mountain)

Mammoth and preservationists have argued over the future of June Mountain for most of the 26 years since management of the two resorts merged. Mammoth's owners have sought to expand the ski area along the San Joaquin Ridge, effectively joining Mammoth and June Mountain.

For a number of reasons, these plans were never realized and June Mountain has, in turn, suffered from an identity crisis that has both stifled its ability to achieve its full potential and required substantial financial subsidy from Mammoth on an annual basis," Gregory said.

Mammoth officials said they would meet with the U.S. Forest Service to discuss the area's future. The company said it would try to absorb as many of June Mountain's workers as possible at Mammoth.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 7:05 am   

Eagle Point is about 90 Minutes from Worldmark ST George.

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story/U ... ypRHw.cspx

http://eaglepointresort.com/

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 7:43 am   

The Ridge Tahoe's funicular, provides a 2 1/2 minute ride to Heavenly's Stagecoach Express Quad Lift (on the Nevada side), will be open for this coming ski season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzsBtni02rE

This makes The Ridge Tahoe a pseudo ski-in, ski-out resort, although, depending on the building in which you're staying, it would still be quite a trek to the funicular.

Last edited by javanite on Thu 26 Jul 2012 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul 2012 7:52 am   

BonustimeJunki wrote:
Eagle Point is about 90 Minutes from Worldmark ST George.

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story/U ... ypRHw.cspx

http://eaglepointresort.com/

I'd be surprised if that resort is still operating a couple of years from now. It's more out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere than Brian Head. I'm not sure anybody coming from the south has much of an incentive to pass up Brian Head in favor of Eagle Point. Certainly nobody aside from the extremely curious is going to make the trek from SLC to ski there.

When they first were going to open Eagle Point back up, I think they were going to do along the lines of the Yellowstone Club where it would have been a members-only resort, but I don't think they were able to drum up the interest.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2012 7:12 am   

http://www.laketahoenews.net/2012/08/mt ... o-ski-area

Mount Rose wants to infuse $23.5 million into ski area By Kathryn Reed

With Mt. Rose proposing a $23.5 million expansion to the ski resort over 10 years, it could be in the position to be a player if Lake Tahoe-Reno ever gets the Winter Olympics.

In 1960 the resort was the alternate for the women’s downhill when Squaw Valley hosted the Games. Today, it along with Heavenly Mountain Resort, are the only Tahoe area resorts capable of hosting the men’s downhill, Tahoe-Reno Olympic committee officials have told Lake Tahoe News.

An artist's rendering of what the skier bridge over Mount Rose Highway might look like.

While regional Olympic officials are now eyeing 2026 as the potential year for hosting the Game because the U.S. Olympic Committee won’t go after the 2022 event, Mt. Rose is ready to make improvements that have nothing to do with the Olympics.

The Reno area resort is hoping to start the environmental phase of the process this fall. The U.S. Forest Service will have to sign off on the ski area’s plans. The resort is on the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest.

The soonest the plans could be implemented would be next year, though resort officials are saying it could be the following year.

A little work that has nothing to do with the mega plans is going on now.

“Granite Construction is still working on the secondary entrance to the ski area about a half-mile west of the Mt. Rose main lodge. It is being put into place with the future goal of improving circulation into the resort, but entry will not be accessible for the coming season,” Kayla Anderson of Mt. Rose told Lake Tahoe News.

What looks like construction in the main parking lot is actually the staging area for crews working on the erosion control project for highways 28 and 431.

The multimillion-dollar plan includes increasing terrain, more lifts and snowmaking improvements.

Next door, on the north side of Mount Rose Highway is the acreage known as Atoma.

“Mt. Rose looks to expand skiing services onto this 99-acre parcel to complement the beginner terrain on the Mt. Rose side of the mountain. This open, mosaic-glade style skiing would make for a unique lower level snow experience combining open runs with pods of trees intermixed throughout the new area,” the resort said in a statement.

A 3.5-mile run would be created from top to bottom. To make this happen, a bridge for skiers over the highway would be built. This bridge would link Atoma to the existing trails at Mt. Rose. Even the chairlift is proposed to cross the highway.

Ponderosa and Galena chairlifts would be taken out to make way for a high-speed chair going to the top to access runs in the Galena area.

Plans call for lengthening the Lakeview lift, which would provide views of Lake Tahoe as well as easier access to some terrain.

A restaurant near the top of Norwest Magnum 6 is on the books. It would provide 270-degree views of Lake Tahoe and Virginia Peak.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012 5:59 am   

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/08/27/b ... ak-6-area/

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012 9:06 am   

Great info here on ski resorts. Thanks, especially to bonustimejunki.

I'm from Utah and have skied/boarded most of my life. Looking forward to a great 2012-13 ski season.

As for my preference, for you out of towners I'd recommend staying in the Ogden Valley (Wolfcreek) worldmark resort and ski at Powder Mountain and Snow Basin. PowMow is not as glitzy, but the snow and hills are excellent for both beginners and experts. Snow Basin is a little more fancy with lodges and gondolas, but not as glamorous as most Park City resorts. I feel that the skiing is better, and the lines shorter. And Wolfcreek is slammed right in between the two resorts, just a short 10-15 minute ride to either.

Park City has excellent skiing as well. IMO, proximity from the Midway resort shouldn't be a problem.

I should also mention that the Ogden Valley has one or two restaurants, and one gorcery store. If your here to ski, and only ski, this is the place for you.

If your here to ski, shop, eat at great restaurants etc, Park City might be a better fit for you as these resources are abundant in Park City.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012 9:51 am   

We have reservations at Wolf Creek, this January. We have a lot of advanced beginners, so they will appreciate the large amount of green and double green runs, at Powder Mountain.

I thought Midway was quite a distance from Park City, with one of the passes closed during the winter, especially when it snows. We were able to exchange in Marriott Park City, so we didn't experience Midway. I found Park City expensive to eat at most of the restaurants.

Any updates on the PCMR lawsuit? Will they open this season?

fryfrow wrote:
Great info here on ski resorts. Thanks, especially to bonustimejunki.

I'm from Utah and have skied/boarded most of my life. Looking forward to a great 2012-13 ski season.

As for my preference, for you out of towners I'd recommend staying in the Ogden Valley (Wolfcreek) worldmark resort and ski at Powder Mountain and Snow Basin. PowMow is not as glitzy, but the snow and hills are excellent for both beginners and experts. Snow Basin is a little more fancy with lodges and gondolas, but not as glamorous as most Park City resorts. I feel that the skiing is better, and the lines shorter. And Wolfcreek is slammed right in between the two resorts, just a short 10-15 minute ride to either.

Park City has excellent skiing as well. IMO, proximity from the Midway resort shouldn't be a problem.

I should also mention that the Ogden Valley has one or two restaurants, and one gorcery store. If your here to ski, and only ski, this is the place for you.

If your here to ski, shop, eat at great restaurants etc, Park City might be a better fit for you as these resources are abundant in Park City.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Las Vegas Blvd, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Park City Miners Club (2), Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek (2) II: FSA (2), Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(3), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(17), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(5), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(6) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, Hilton King's Land, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep 2012 1:49 pm   

Yes, they'll be open this season, although the future of the resort is still up in the air.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54437185-78/pcmr-park-talisker-ski.html.csp

I'm sure ultimately this will be worked out, it's only a matter of how much will be paid for the next long term lease to be finalized.

Have a safe trip in January. Hopefully there will already be a good base for you to ski on. I own a couple investment projects within a mile or two from Wolfcreek so I'm up there everyday lately. The valley is really vibrant right now with fall foliage. Ski season will be here before we know it!

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep 2012 6:55 pm   

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Deve ... 94506.html

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep 2012 7:24 pm   

I just watched a video of a couple snow boarders boarding down one of the sand dunes in the Winchester Bay area just south of Florence OR which has vast stretches of sand dunes. Pacific City OR just north of Lincoln City has a big dune too.

Just thought I'd mention it. Plus, you can do it any time of the year!

WM: Eagle Crest, Wolf Creek, Steamboat Springs, LOTO; Clear Lake; Whistler; Kapaa; LV Blvd; Running Y; Kingston Reef; Coral Baja; Depoe Bay; Gleneden; Schooner's Landing; Kona; Seaside; Camlin; Wyndham Beachwalk Waikiki; Dolphin Cove; Indio; Oceanside Harbor, 7th Mountain
Exchanges: Playa del Carmen; Lehigh Acres; Royal Caribbean to AK through Inside Passage, Marriott Ko Olina, Riviera Maya Grand Luxxe, Riviera Maya Grand Mayan

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep 2012 10:00 pm   

wanderwoman wrote:
I just watched a video of a couple snow boarders boarding down one of the sand dunes in the Winchester Bay area just south of Florence OR which has vast stretches of sand dunes. Pacific City OR just north of Lincoln City has a big dune too.

Just thought I'd mention it. Plus, you can do it any time of the year!

and then there is [url]kite boarding http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... Eo2h8ZVNTY[/url]... :wave:

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct 2012 4:17 pm   

http://tinyurl.com/97y3xju

Profile WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next