Register
It is currently Fri 19 Oct 2018 3:46 pm

Clear Lake

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jul 2004 4:23 pm   

Noticed that there is no Clear Lake thread, so I thought I'd start.

Clear Lake has good-sized units, well maintained grounds, a nice pool, and a good staff. The lake supposed to be excellent for bass fishing. During the summer, you can rent watercraft near the resort.

Perhaps part of it was because my trip was in October (outside of water sports season), but I did not find enough to do in the area. Windsor is close and has more to do, so I'm more likely to stay there. Clear Lake has better availability than other California resorts, and since it is close to the new Windsor resort, I expect availability to be even better in the near future.

If you spend most of your vacation in your unit or at your resort, this is a good resort. This resort is not high on my list of resorts to return to because I like to do things in the area near my resort- and didn't find much that interested me near Clear Lake. If you are going, aviod mid-July to mid-August. The link below explains why.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/local/news ... reeta.html

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary numbers and those who don't.

90% of all statistics are made up.

Visited: Angels Camp 13x, Windsor 3x, Bass Lake 2x, Clear Lake 1x, Marina Dunes 8x, Oceanside 1x, Rosarito 1x, Vistoso 2x, St. George 1x, Klamath Falls 1x, Victoria 1x, Vancouver 1x, Seaside 1x, Depoe Bay 1x, Southshore 7x.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jul 2004 4:34 pm   

Glad you caught that and got it started!

I haven't been there yet, but keep thinking it would be a good stop over, for a couple days, to break up the long drive from Washington to Southern Calif.

T

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jul 2004 6:02 pm   

That's pretty funny, because we just returned from a long weekend at Clear Lake. I haven't had a chance to write a review yet, but I was definitely going to mention that there was an odor. The odor didn't smell like dying fish -- it was more an algae or mold smell. It wasn't unbearable, but it was definitely noticeable and enough for me to wrinkle my nose at times.

You're right in that there isn't a whole lot to do -- but that's exactly why we chose it. We needed a break from the hustle and bustle. There were boats and water skis everywhere in the parking lot --the resort itself was very full, and the front desk told me they always run full in the summer. The main activities are boating, fishing, water skiing and jet skiing. On the south side of the lake, there are a few little towns that I liked a lot. Lakeport has a music festival going on right now. We went to Konocti Harbor and did the sunset barbeque followed by a concert. It was incredible and such a fantastic venue for a concert -- outside, under the stars and the warm evening, not a sense of pretense, just relaxed music, me in my shorts with my husband's arms around me. We loved it so much, we're going back in August. I would venture to say that we liked it better than Windsor and Angel's Camp -- we might just have to buy a boat!!!

The resort itself is a little older and shows a little bit of wear -- but it's just the normal kind. The rooms are nice and some of the units have a lake view (but most don't).

I would say that it's more the perfect vacation spot for someone who already knows California, likes water sports, and wants to explore a quiet little piece of it more in-depth, rather than someone who is coming from out of town and wants to "see the sights" -- because, really, there aren't any unless you want to drive a long way.