Register
It is currently Sun 23 Nov 2014 7:41 am

Cabo San Lucas > WorldMark Coral Baja FAQ

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb 2007 10:20 am   

This thread is a compilation of posts from other Cabo/Coral Baja related threads. Thanks for everyone who contributed. If you see abnormalities and errors please point them out and provide corrected information. Thanks.

Useful websites discussing everything Cabo

http://www.loscabosguide.com
http://www.cabobob.com

Could you share your thoughts on the units/sizes etc?
If some of your group don't mind being on a murphy bed in the living room, then a 1 bed and studio should be good enough. However, I would opt for the two bedroom/1bedroom combo. That way, everyone would have their own space, and the living aea could be used by anyone at any time.

Go for the front building. Building 2 is closer to the highway, and there is no view.

The premier location would be a penthouse up on the roof! You have your own BBQ up there, and a hot-tub. A purchase of one-time use credits could help get you there?

Are the 2BR penthouses in the same building with the 3BR penthouses?
That is, can I get a great view, hot tub, bbq in the 2 as well as the 3BR?

All the PH's are all in the front buildings. The view is excellent, as you can see much further away (6th floor). For those units with a roofdeck...the view from the roof-decks can only be enjoyed when sitting in the hot-tub or by standing...as the safety wall on the roofdecks is stucco. These decks offer a huge patio, some loungers, a dining table with chairs, and the hot-tub is very ornate and mexican. (The other balconies, including the lower level balconies of these dual level penthouses, have an open metal railing that allow for a gorgeous view while sitting down).

Additional info. on views :)
There are great views from the penthouses...but that those with roofdecks have higher walls on the second levels that only allow a view from that level if sitting in the hot-tub or standing.

There is a communal BBQ onsite, which was easy to use. (THere were two, but one sep. section near the restaurant was not working). I did notice a BBQ on one other balcony -- perhaps a 2 bedroom

Whats the difference between the 1 bedroom and the 1 bedroom deluxe ( costing addiitonal 1000 credits) at WM Coral Baja?

1BR:
  • Sofa bed in the living room as opposed to a murphy bed.
  • Only one door to the bathroom, from the bedroom.
1BR Deluxe:
  • A little bigger than a 1BR.
  • Bathroom has two doors, one from the bedroom and one from the hallway.
  • 1BR deluxe feels larger than the 1BR, even though it's just a few extra square feet with that Murphy bed.
At mid March is the weather warm enough to float in the pool?

A bit about the new Costco near Coral Baja
Cabo Costco is a cookie-cutter version to those in the U.S, with the exception of Spanish labeling on the products. The Cabo store also has Mexican style pastries in the bakery, a HUGE fresh seafood section and a much larger liquor section.

Some Q&A about penthouses at WorldMark Coral Baja:

Are there only one 2BR PH in phase 3?
  • There are no 2br PHs in Phase 3; just two 3br PH units.
  • Phase 1 has one 3br and three 2br PH units...and yes, each BR has its own bath.

How does Cabo compare to the Caribbean? How are the beaches and water compared to the east coast of Mexico? Have you been to Playa del Carmen and can you compare them?

The beaches are really nice, but the water in front of the resort has some pretty intense undertow. It is strongly suggested that you do not swim in most beaches in the Cabo - San Jose area. There are a few beaches that are in protected coves that are fine for swimming. There are also a number of places that you can go for snorkeling and scuba diving. Sorry, no white sands and calm seas, but it is still really nice!

The water is cooler in the Sea of Cortez by several degrees compared to the Bahamas and probably the gulf/Caribean waters.

For people who have been to Cabo and Cancun most prefer Cancun. The beaches are nicer and Cozumel area is wonderful because of the snorkeling. Also, the water is warmer and one is able to visit the ruins.

Soranios Restaurant

Could someone who has been there recently and used Soriano's kindly tell us how to get there and where exactly it is? Also, what kind of food do they have? Do they have Tequila?!

It is on the road towards the airport (not the new toll road, the one the bus takes). It is very easy to see from the road but you could ask the bus driver to let you out at Soriana's.

Soriana's is along the old highway, towards town (and airport) about 5 miles or so on the right hand side. I kind of prefer Soriana's as it seems a bit more "Mexican" to me than Mega does.

Even better option would be the new Mega store that opened recently. You can quite easily walk to the store. It is along the same road, towards the airport, but not very far. If anything it is bigger than Soriana's. It has pretty much everything you can think of - more than you can get at most stores in Canada and the US all in one location. Yes, they do sell tequila and have a great selection of wines too. We were two families travelling together and food, liquor, water and lots of stuff we didn't really need (flip flops, interesting spices for our friends etc) for 8 days only cost us about $100 Canadian. We thought that was amazing! We took a cab back (too much to carry!) - there was a fellow at the door who called one for us.

Cabo Shuttle Q&A

Most of the time we have used TransCabo as our shuttle company. They are the guys outside in the bright orange shirts. They gave us great service and will even stop for you to buy groceries and bring them with you to the resort. We arrived early the last time we used them and the staff at the CB resort put the groceries in the fridge for us because our unit was not ready (such service!).

This year we tried Los Golondrinas (same company as CaboShuttle). It is a bit cheaper than the company above but we had terrible service, definitely not worth the savings. They made us wait for an hour and 45 min. outside the airport in the heat for a late plane. It is only a 20 minute drive to the CB! On the return trip one of our party had left couple of days early because her grandmother became ill in Montreal. She took the receipt with her in error and, despite the other lady in her party having the email confirmation saying that their shuttle had been charged to a credit card, they would not let her board the shuttle because she didn't have the receipt. It took quite a while but we eventually convinced the driver to let her on and she had to pay again.

I have about given up on the caboshuttle miseries and will use Transcabo in November and make my report at that time. Even though Caboshuttle (Las Golondrinas) has been the cheapest ride to/from the resort it has offered terrible service in recent months.

Is there Wi-Fi at Coral Baja?
Free Wireless works fine in lobby and in the pool area near the swim-up bar for those who brought their laptops.
You have a selection of internet cafes or wait your turn on the resort's one and only in the lobby.

In the lobby there's a table with three computers on it; one for Journey car Rental, one for the Activities director, and one for the guests to use.

The liqour store next to the Subway sandwhich shop(just above the resort) has two computers with internet.

Can you surf or boogie board in the water in front (or back ) of the Cabo resort? Or is it too rough? Also, does anyone know how steep the angle of the beach is? Too steep to run on?

People boogie board way out beyond the breakers. But If you come in on a wave you are going to hit the wall!
Too steep to run on, no........the beach is flat in general, then drops off fairly steeply at one point; and I might add particularly in front of our resort.

What is the best month for going to Cabo when it comes to no big storm warnings, and weather that is not to overly hot?
They're all good; but the best fall in between October and April!

Do the two bedroom units have queen beds or twin beds in the second bedroom?
There are only 3 or 4 two-br/Queen 2nd units in the entire resort; the rest are Twin 2nd units that can't be joined together.

Last edited by kapish on Fri 18 Jun 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2009 6:09 pm   

8) I am going there next week, is the 2 bedroom deluxe ground floor in the front building? I heard the rv park and restrant next door is gone? I havent been back for some time, what new things is a must?

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2009 9:29 pm   

Go to the restaraunt just straight up to the highway next to entrance called 'Sardinias'. Great lunch and reasonable price.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2009 10:55 am   

hotweathertraveler wrote:
8) I am going there next week, is the 2 bedroom deluxe ground floor in the front building? I heard the rv park and restrant next door is gone? I havent been back for some time, what new things is a must?
Yes, it will be in the front buildings...does it say Phase 3 on theconfirmation ? They have started putting that on confirmations. I am not sure why, because they also say they really don't know for sure. Check in there is kinda loose.....but you will be in front. I kinda like the ground floor units and wouldn't mind staying in one for a few days. They are sooo handy to the pool, the beach etc.

The RV park is gone! :( I really miss it. They are rebuilding there, or maybe have finished. I didn't get to go this year. It's probably a resort.
That was always one place I liked to eat. I don't mind Mama Mias' especially for breakfast. I haven't eaten at Sardinas, just above the resort on the highway, but a lot of people really like it. I eat in for the most part.

If it's been a while, you will be thrilled with the trip to and from the airport. They have the new highway done and it cuts off driving right through SJDC.

The new Mega store is very handy, and replaces the trip to SJDC for groceries. Altho there is a Costco and Walmart near CSL. But I haven't been to either one. I prefer to spend money in SJDC.

In SJDC they have taken out the small streets around the Mission and replaced it with a nice town Square Memorial.

I have pics of it as recent as Jan. 2007. I will find my link and you can take a look.

Oh and the CSL Port is almost finished. It now goes all the way around the bay now. There are some vacant lots in the center, but you can walk all the way around to catch a specific charter or shop. You can also walk over the hill there to the Pacific side, if you find the right street. The taxis don't seem to go all the way around, but the buses do. You might have to take a local bus, city type....but it's more fun to walk.
OH I wish I was there now!!! \:D/

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x9, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x20, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x2, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda UpComing 2014Discovery Bay, Depoe Bay ;)

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2009 11:03 am   

N wrote:
Yes, it will be in the front buildings...does it say Phase 3 on theconfirmation ? They have started putting that on confirmations. I am not sure why, because they also say they really don't know for sure. Check in there is kinda loose.....but you will be in front. I kinda like the ground floor units and wouldn't mind staying in one for a few days. They are sooo handy to the pool, the beach etc.

The RV park is gone! :( I really miss it. They are rebuilding there, or maybe have finished. I didn't get to go this year. It's probably a resort.
That was always one place I liked to eat. I don't mind Mama Mias' especially for breakfast. I haven't eaten at Sardinas, just above the resort on the highway, but a lot of people really like it. I eat in for the most part.

If it's been a while, you will be thrilled with the trip to and from the airport. They have the new highway done and it cuts off driving right through SJDC.

The new Mega store is very handy, and replaces the trip to SJDC for groceries. Altho there is a Costco and Walmart near CSL. But I haven't been to either one. I prefer to spend money in SJDC.

In SJDC they have taken out the small streets around the Mission and replaced it with a nice town Square Memorial.

I have pics of it as recent as Jan. 2007. I will find my link and you can take a look.

Oh and the CSL Port is almost finished. It now goes all the way around the bay now. There are some vacant lots in the center, but you can walk all the way around to catch a specific charter or shop. You can also walk over the hill there to the Pacific side, if you find the right street. The taxis don't seem to go all the way around, but the buses do. You might have to take a local bus, city type....but it's more fun to walk.
OH I wish I was there now!!! \:D/

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x9, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x20, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x2, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda UpComing 2014Discovery Bay, Depoe Bay ;)

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2009 9:19 am   

N wrote:

I seem to recall Cabo Bill and some others on the old 4UM talking about bringing their own meats with them to Cabo...in an ice chest on the airplane I think.

Are meats, dairy products, and/or veggis a problem if purchased in places like Costco, Walmart, or Mega store?

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2009 9:46 pm   

We bought fresh fish (ahi) at the Megastore and it was absolutely delicious

We bought our chicken and pork roast at Costco. Foods cheaper in Mexico than here and WAY cheaper than Hawaii. Lots of TIMESHARE SHARKS at the Megastore. If you find someone with a nametag starting to help you find things beware. Actually I'm weird. I get a kick out of them and had them trying to outbid each other. Finally got Jose up to $300 usd. Alex actually offered $350 but I didn't like him so I turned him down. Boy, did that confuse him "but $350 is more than $300." Oh well. We made about $700 while we were there. I find salespeople very entertaining. Told you I was weird. My husband is even weirder. He sits on the beach with the vendors for hours telling them how they can better display their wears.
We loved it and didn't want to leave. Hope you have a great time.

Peggy, the egglady

Arrow Point x2, Discovery Bay x3, Surfside x 5
Leavenworth x3, Eagle Crest x2, chalet @ Running Y x1, Bass Lake x2 , Solvang x1, Windsor x2, Seaside x2 McCall x3 Midway x 2,
OceanShores x2, Camlin x 3 Depoe Bay x 3 Victoria phx2.Kihei x1 Kapaa x1 Flagstaff and Pinetop, Rancho Vistoso,Vancouverx2,Clearlake x1.Big Bear x1, Cabo ph, Wolfcreek. ph St George x2, Las Vegas Spencer st x 1. San Antonio, New Braunfels, sunvalley, Indio, Long Beach, Angels Camp, Oceanside, Canmore, Taos, Red River, Santa fe.
II getaways: Mariott cypress harbour, orlando. Westgate Flamingo Bay, las Vegas,playa del sol costa sur x 6 weeks (10weeks for my hubby) Costa Maya Cancun x 2 weeks, Hawaiian Princess
Daelive:Whiskijack's Ironwood, whistler

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2009 9:11 am   

TahoeGary wrote:
I seem to recall Cabo Bill and some others on the old 4UM talking about bringing their own meats with them to Cabo...in an ice chest on the airplane I think.

Are meats, dairy products, and/or veggies a problem if purchased in places like Costco, Walmart, or Mega store?
People used to do that, but I don't hear about it so much anymore since as you say there are there are "more Americanized" stores there. At the Mega store, their meat is shipped in or local. At Costco it's all American or USDA, as I understand it. The Mega store is a mixture of local and imported.

I don't eat much meat so I don't worry about it. But we did get chicken breasts at Mega and they were good. I did pick a brand that was imported tho. There's cheese there too. I usually get imported.

I won't eat their eggs, or their fresh fruits or veggies, by "their" I mean grown there. Which is fine, I don't like eggs anyway! It's an individual choice. Some people have gotten sick with eggs, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, grapes, water "ice cubes" etc. What I have been told is it's the fertilizer that they use that makes "us gringos" sick. If you're used to it, it won't bother you. Some have even said they thought the fresh salsa made them sick, but I don't know.

I usually drink bottled water. The water at the resorts and good restaurants are OK. Desalinated water tastes funny to me, but it works in cooking. Unless you're very particular. There is something that you can buy and add to the water to help clean it. You just use drops of it in a glass.

I have never gotten really sick.....the "Montezuma Revenge", but a lot of people do. I have had two instances of like an immediate reaction to something and was thankful it was just a few hours and then gone. That's two times in 4-5 times I've been there.

Have you seen the old pic that people used to post on the old forum with a bag of lettuce and a toad in it? I don't even know if that was from Mexico, but they don't have the same FDA requirements we do. With what I know about all food, is you have to use common sense and trust your instincts.

I have always taken a 22" rolling suitcase to take dry foods etc. I'd freeze a block of cheese and wrap it good and put it in there too and it was never questioned. Now it's just as easy to buy it there, cost wise too. They are not particularly cheaper there, but I can get smaller amounts.
I will have to pay for the bag now if I want to take food. I am going to have to weigh the extra cost of a suitcase to the cost of buying food there. I am always on a tight budget.

There is a little store on site. You can pick up essentials there too. I buy water by the gallon there, but I think last time we got some at the Mega too. Also just up on the highway is a small store. Very small....but they have some basics too. Also usually good coffee up on the highway.

I've only been there once since the Mega.

Don't eat at the little food places along the roadside, or out of the way places. If they take credit cards they're probably OK. ;)

If you go to Costco, most people take the bus, it's about 18 miles and then take a taxi back....around $20.00, unless you can carry it all back on the bus.... :-s

We walk to the Mega and take a taxi back if we have alot of stuff, around $5.00; I just offer $5.00 American and they usually just nod "ok".
Other than that we walk or ride the bus. Never had a car there.

Shoot we'll be there at the same time....we can talk about this stuff then.....Adios

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2009 12:49 pm   

N wrote:
Shoot we'll be there at the same time....we can talk about this stuff then.....Adios

...just preliminary planning.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2010 11:59 am   

We just returned from our first trip to Coral Baja. Here are some pointers I thought folks might find useful.

Exchange rate in the airport terminal was not very favorable. Don’t buy pesos here. Almost everyone accepts dollars anyway, but better to buy your pesos at the numerous ATM’s or banks near the resort and around town.

Mexican customs & immigration were painless. Be sure to fill out the entry card completely following the instructions on the back and sign in the TWO boxes on the back side…where it says “Signature of foreigner”. Many people seemed to miss this. If your form is incomplete, you will probably lose your place in line.

The ATM’s display amounts in pesos using the $ sign, or sometimes $ M. The limit is usually $3,000 (i.e.pesos). Better to get larger amounts less frequently since they all charge a set fee to use the ATM, from my observation, in addition to a transaction fee based on the amount. Some ATM’s can be agonizingly slow. I suspect they are connected via a slow dial-up modem. In one case I waited about 5 minutes after the machine sucked up my VISA card. I was about ready put my foot through it when all of a sudden the cash came spitting out.

Alaska, United, and a Canadian carrier (can’t remember the name) use terminal 3. The other carriers use terminal 1. On departure, if you arrive at the airport via taxi, be sure your driver drops you at the correct terminal. I knew there were two terminals but didn’t think to mention our airline to the cab driver and he didn’t ask which carrier we were using. Of course we got off at the wrong terminal. It is about a 10 minute walk between terminals.

The Mega store is very nice and is a 10 minute walk from the resort. They have a nice hot deli section and bakery. Many vegetables are cheap. Roma tomatoes were about 18 cents per pound (4.9 pesos per kilo). Citrus & papayas were also cheap. Good fresh fish. Suggest you take a back pack for carrying groceries as the plastic bags they furnish are very thin and could easily rip. Some people take a taxi back to the resort ($5 each way).

Take a pocket calculator with you. I fould it useful on several occassions for currency conversion.

The air conditioning in the units is controlled by wall mounted remote controls. I guess I’m really dense. Our room was sub-zero upon arrival. I pressed all the buttons but couldn’t get the AC to turn off, so I finally popped the circuit breakers located in the broom closet. After further scrutiny, I realized these work just like your TV remote control. Remove control unit from wall mounted cradle, point controller at AC unit, push “off” button. Ola!! Success.

The business center at the resort has 5 internet equipped PCs (one of which was inop during our entire 10 day stay) and a printer. The power was off 3 times during our stay. All were scheduled outages. The first was 8 hours, the others were a couple hours each.

The grounds are beautifully maintained…very labor intensive. I watched one guy aerate the entire golf putting green (about the size of a tennis court) using a handheld/foot aerator over the course of 3 days.

We had good food everywhere. Most restaurants and shops do not accept any type of plastic for payment. Get used to carrying cash.

Tony’s (Zipper’s), down the beach from the resort toward Cabo San Lucas about 1/2km was good. Lunch at Shooters across the street from City Hall downtown SJDC has a nice rooftop setting and happy hour from 9:00am to 4:00pm every day. That’s not a misprint. Good shrimp quesadillas and tortilla soup.

Happy hour does not mean reduced price drinks. It means two drinks when you order one.

I love chili reillanos. Best I had on the trip was at Tequila Sunrise in Toto Santos… across the street from the Hotel California. $220 pesos, but large enough to split, which we did. Sardinas and Salsa’s (at the front gate of the resort) were also reasonable.

We ate at Mama Mia’s (on the resort grounds) a couple of times which I thought was also good. Nice smoked tuna quesadilla and fajitas. We didn’t do fiesta night (Tuesday $35 US per person). After listening to the music, I’m kind of glad we did not attend. It didn’t seem very Mexican to me…more American rock than anything IMHO.

I don’t recommend walking along the street in front of the resort at night. It is semi suicidal… narrow shoulders, pot holes capable of breaking your ankle, fast drivers, & poor lighting in places.

We had a great time. The locals are very friendly, polite, and well dressed. The only folks that may annoy you are the timeshare sharks. They are everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2010 5:41 pm   

I adore chile rellenos too...and the breakfast version at Mama Mia's were FABULOUS. Unfortunately...I liked them so much I ate them every day when we were there and I hadnt planned to eat breakfast out each day. LOL 8-[

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb 2010 7:47 pm   

ladycody wrote:
I adore chile rellenos too...and the breakfast version at Mama Mia's were FABULOUS. Unfortunately...I liked them so much I ate them every day when we were there and I hadnt planned to eat breakfast out each day. LOL 8-[

I missed the chili rellanos at Mama Mia's.

After 3 days or so of eating, I felt like a stuffed chili...and I'm still in recovery.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun 2010 9:37 am   

TahoeGary wrote:
Be sure to fill out the entry card completely following the instructions on the back and sign in the TWO boxes on the back side…where it says “Signature of foreigner”. Many people seemed to miss this. If your form is incomplete, you will probably lose your place in line.

I forgot, even after reading your post.

TahoeGary wrote:
The ATM’s display amounts in pesos using the $ sign, or sometimes $ M. The limit is usually $3,000 (i.e.pesos). Better to get larger amounts less frequently since they all charge a set fee to use the ATM, from my observation, in addition to a transaction fee based on the amount. Some ATM’s can be agonizingly slow. I suspect they are connected via a slow dial-up modem. In one case I waited about 5 minutes after the machine sucked up my VISA card. I was about ready put my foot through it when all of a sudden the cash came spitting out.

Most ATMs use dial up, so it takes awhile. The ATMs at MegaStore are fast.

TahoeGary wrote:
Alaska, United, and a Canadian carrier (can’t remember the name) use terminal 3. The other carriers use terminal 1. On departure, if you arrive at the airport via taxi, be sure your driver drops you at the correct terminal. I knew there were two terminals but didn’t think to mention our airline to the cab driver and he didn’t ask which carrier we were using. Of course we got off at the wrong terminal. It is about a 10 minute walk between terminals.

American Airlines arrive in Terminal 1, but they code share with one of the Mexican airlines which depart from Terminal 2.

TahoeGary wrote:
We had a great time. The locals are very friendly, polite, and well dressed. The only folks that may annoy you are the timeshare sharks. They are everywhere.

The TS sharks wear Orange at MegaStore, so it is easily to avoid them. The WM Resort Host will give you a handout warning you that the TS sharks may not give you the cash or the freebie that they offer and that they have received many complaints.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek II: FSA (2), Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(2), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(16), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(4), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(2) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun 2010 9:39 am   

We visited WM Cabo for a couple days in the beginning of June 2010. We had an exchange at another resort, but wanted to visit WM Cabo as well. I had read the WM Cabo recently was partially renovated and we didn’t know if we would visit Cabo again. We are glad we did. WM Cabo is currently our favorite WM resort.

Upon arriving in Cabo, we went to baggage claim, asked a Sky Cap help us with our luggage. He said just ignore the Timeshare Sharks at the exit. No one bothered us. We noticed everyone else was hassled.
We rented a car from Dominic, a person I found on TripAdvisor.com. It was a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT, 7 seater, with California license plates. It was $70 a day including mileage, insurance and a tank of gas, cash up front. Expensive if you only need a 2 seater, but a good deal when you have 6 people like we did. Driving in Cabo is like California, except worse. Stop signs seem to be only in effect if there is another car at the intersection. The Speed Limit signs are in KmH, but most go at MPH, so if it say 60, most go 60 MPH.

To get to WM Cabo, you can take the toll road from the airport. During traffic, the toll road can save you 30 minutes, according to the hotel staff. The toll is 28 pesos. We didn’t know how to get to the resort, so we took the long way. There wasn’t much traffic from the airport. The airport is around the 43 Km marker and Worldmark is at 29.4 Km, so it is not that far, but part of the highway is 30 KmH. I averaged 60 MPH, going with the flow of traffic. You will past WM Cabo on the left and go another 800 Km, or so, and take the Retorno on the right, go under the freeway and go back toward WM Cabo. There was a lot of traffic, around 11 am, so we took the toll road back to the airport.

We had a 2BR Penthouse. It was very nice. It faced the beach, ocean and pool. It had a spiral staircase to the roof, where there were a private hot tub, lounge chairs, sink and counter. A good party place. The resort had a Mexican feel and the pools were of good size and had bridges. The children pool was part of the main pool, so you can be under water while small kids can be in ankle deep water. My 3 year old loves playing in the children pool area and diving into regular pool area. There are steps, of course. There was a swim up pool bar. The laundry wasn’t in the unit, but connected to the kitchen outside. Maybe it was an afterthought. We got a call from security because the door was left ajar, when my 3 year old went exploring in the unit. Apparently they have sensors on the doors. All the usual kitchen amenities, we have become accustomed to in the States, are the same at Coral Baja.

As for Restaurants, Mama Mia’s on resort is so-so. Safe, if you are afraid of venturing out. Zippers, at the Retorno, is so-so too. There is Dominos Pizza and Subway outside the entrance to the resort. There is also Santina’s Cantina just outside the resort, which has a good happy hour meal from 3pm to 5pm. If you are adventurous, for tacos, there is Gucamaya’s (14 pesos for great Tacos - opens at 6pm), Hangman and Rossy, which you need to drive to or take a taxi. Rossy delivers. There are typically plenty of taxis sitting right outside the resort waiting to take you places. The concierge can give you directions.

Casiano’s was great, if you want expensive Haute Mexican cuisine. $65 USD for 3 course and $75 for 5 course prix fixe meal. No menu. The waiter asks what you are allergic to and makes you an individual meal based on what he found at the market that day. Browns Private Services offers private chef services, $200 for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, plus cost of groceries. We splurged and did a dinner only for $125 plus $100 in groceries. $18 more for a butler. Check with your resort first, as they might not let the chef on premises. It was great! We had a pork leg dish that took 5 hours to prepare.

As for currency, the online exchange rate was around 12.90-13. The airport exchange counter gave 13.75 (surprising) and restaurants in town gave as low as 11.50, with the average of 12.50. If I used my credit card, my bank charged me a small international exchange fee. The ATM charged as little as 10 pesos. We were too busy having fun, so we did not exchange at a bank, which is normally a good rate. So, exchange into Pesos as soon as possible.

MegaStore is walkable, but we drove. MegaStore has a deli section with fresh cooked food and many Mexcian delights, that we didn’t try. Prices were just a little cheaper than the states. Everything is in Kilos instead of Pounds, so I had to use a calculator. Costco, Sam’s Club and Walmart are just outside Cabo San Lucas, a good 20+ minutes from the resort. Walmart appears to be high end for most Mexicans. Costco wasn’t very busy. The beef at MegaStore looked different somehow. Less marbling, a different shade of red than I am used to. Costco has USDA Prime meat, at decent prices. My family likes a drink called Yakult. It is $1.50 at Whole Foods in California, but a case of 50 for $19 at MegaStore and $16 at Costco. My family finished all 50 before going home. What was strange was going to Costco and their food stand. I expected to see tacos, burritos, etc. What I found was a carbon copy of the ones in California with Hot Dogs, Ice Cappuccino, Churros, Pizza, etc. except signs in Spanish. The prices appeared to be more expensive than in California.

For the rest of the week, we stayed at the Monarch Grand Vacations Cabo Azul. As my 6 year old says “It’s the bestest hotel of the bestest hotels in the world”. My wife says “each resort has its own charm and positive aspects”. My SIL loved Cabo Azul, she liked WM Cabo. My BIL could care less. After visiting Cabo Azul, my wife used the words “paradise” and was sort of scolding me for not spending 2 weeks in Cabo. As a reference, we have stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grande Chateau, Four Seasons Aviara and Presidential unit at WM Indio. No laundry in the unit and cooking utensils were lacking, the rest of the resort places it above the rest. The quality of the interior matches FSA. We had to pay a $150 peso per day resort fee. Housekeeping came in twice a day. First to clean, then a second time to see if we needed anything like towels. The lounge chairs had terry cloth covers that were removed late afternoon and replace early each morning. While at the pool, after you dry off from your swim, pool staff will come and offer to exchange your towels. They had king size beds in the water, near the edge, so it appears you are floating in the pool. They also have cocoon like baskets, with a double size bed, if you want some shade. The sliding glass doors in the unit, slide all the way across the wall, so it gives you an indoor outdoor feel. We left the glass doors opened much of the time. It was 85 Fin the day and 73 F at night.

We weren’t harassed on the beach by vendors, as we were in Puerto Vallarta. A couple of vendors had make shift selling areas, but you basically had to go up to them to view their wares. Instead of paying big bucks to go snorkeling, rent or buy snorkel equipment and drive to Chileno or Santa Maria Beach to snorkel. It is same place that the tours takes you to.

With so many places to see in the world, we may not be back to Cabo soon, but if we do, both WM Cabo Coral Baja and Monarch Cabo Azul will be on our list. I noticed Cabo Azul on II Getaway - $800-$1100 for a 2BR, less what a Monarch owner would pay in MFs.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek II: FSA (2), Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(2), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(16), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(4), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge(2) RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun 2010 10:02 am   

This was given to me by the rental car guy. When we asked a local snorkeling tour guide, if it was true, he said "pretty much".

Basic Rules For Driving In Los Cabos
1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Los Cabos driver
never uses them. Besides, use of the left turn signal to indicate that the following car may safely pass is just too confusing to comprehend.
2. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you
and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled in by somebody
else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.
3. Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane-change is considered
going with the flow.
4. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you
have of getting hit.
5. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects
it and it will inevitably result in you being rear ended. If you want
your insurance company to pay for a new rear bumper, come to a complete stop at all stop signs.
6. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many
people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the
left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before
hitting the orange construction barrels.
7. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork.
Baja California Sur is an insurance nightmare where the other guy doesn't have anything to lose. All parties involved will be going to jail, unless you pay off the cop first.
8. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that
your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake
pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch
your legs.
9. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good
way to scare people entering the highway.
10. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and
are apparently not enforceable in the Los Cabos area dining rush hour.
11. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or
move over doesn't mean that a Los Cabos driver flashing his high beams
behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.
12. Please remember that there is no such (hing as a shortcut during
rush-hour traffic in Los Cabos.
13. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even
someone changing a tire.
14. Learn to swerve abruptly. Los Cabos is the home of high-speed slalom
driving thanks to the SCT, which puts potholes in key locations to test
drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.
15. It is traditional in Los Cabos to honk your horn at cars that don't
move the instant the light changes.
16. Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left
before proceeding.
17. Remember that the goal of every Los Cabos driver is to get there
first, by whatever means necessary.
] 8. Real Los Cabos women drivers can put on pantyhose and apply eye
makeup at seventy-five miles per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
19. Real Los Cabos men drivers can remove their girlfriend's panties and
bra at seventy-five miles per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
20. In the Los Cabos area, flipping someone the bird is considered a
Baja salute. This gesture should always be returned along with a smile.