Register
It is currently Tue 22 Jul 2014 1:03 pm

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan 2007 10:08 pm   

Hmmm... here is another one. This would be nice. Probably for Fairfield/WVO since they already have resorts in the Carribean/St. Thomas.

My internet searching reveals this resort was fomerly owned by Marriott and called Renaissance Grand Beach Resort. It was acquired by Palace Resorts in 2004. Looking at some of the online reviews for this resort, Palace was not successful with it and apparently it is now closed.

Here is a link from a travel agent that has a "virtual tour" of the resort as operated by Palace Resorts.

http://www.changes.com/resorts/renaissance-grand

There is speculation in the travel industry that U.S.V.I. will be a popular travel destination for U.S. travelers as the new strict passport requirements go in to effect since you don't need a passport for U.S. territories.

Associated Press
Wyndham Buys Luxury Resort in St. Thomas
Associated Press 01.24.07, 11:10 AM ET

A top company in the time-share sector has purchased a luxury resort on the northeast shore of St. Thomas, officials said Wednesday.

Wyndham Worldwide (nyse: WYN - news - people ) Corp. has purchased the 290-room Grand Beach Palace Resort for an undisclosed sum and will likely convert it into time shares, said Betsy O'Rourke, the U.S. company's senior vice president of marketing.

Details of the sale were expected to be released later this week, according to the Parsippany, New Jersey-based company.

Wyndham, which spun off from parent Cendant in August, has developed or acquired more than 140 time-share resorts in North America and the South Pacific, according to the company's Web site.

• Worldmark: Cascade Lodge-The Canadian-Victoria-Camlin-Leavenworth-Mariner Village-Seaside-Oceanside Harbor-Windsor-Coral Baja-Kihei-Las Vegas-Orlando-Anaheim-Mission Valley-San Francisco- Upcoming:
  • Worldmark Affiliates: Los Flamingos Villas
  • RCI Exchanges: Grand Mayan Riviera Maya-Galleon Resort-Hilton NYC-Manhattan Club-Grand Mayan Los Cabos- Upcoming: 08/12 Manhattan Club
  • II Exchanges: WIVC Coral Mar Cancun-Marriott's Newport Coast Villas-Marriott's Grand Chateau-Upcoming:
  • WVR: Grand Desert-Palm Aire-Washington D.C.-Oceanside Pier-Bali Hai Villas-Canterbury-La Belle Maison-Upcoming: 06/12 - Wyndham Canturbury 11/12- Oceanside Pier
  • WVR Affiliates: El Cid La Ceiba

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan 2007 6:23 pm   

Gary, I love St Thomas and I go there about every 1 1/2 years. It is a very beautiful place and the people are really humble and nice. I could never get enought of the area. :wave:

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan 2007 8:39 am   

I have never been to St. Thomas but I'm trying to plan for Feb. 08 at Fairfield's Elysian Resort. Anyone ever been there?. I own Fairfield Washington D.C. and Pompano Beach so I can try to book Elysian in the standard Fairfield 10 month booking window. Availabiltiy there is always very limited from what I can tell. I only have 6 months experience with Fairfield so I can't predict my chance for success.

I have a search first/request first oustanding with II and RCI for the Westin in St. John and the new Marriott in St. Thomas for Feb. 08. Hopefully with this much advance planning something will come up. I live in the Seattle area so by Feb. you really need the sun. I'm not holding my breath but I would like to get 2 weeks. :)

- Gary

• Worldmark: Cascade Lodge-The Canadian-Victoria-Camlin-Leavenworth-Mariner Village-Seaside-Oceanside Harbor-Windsor-Coral Baja-Kihei-Las Vegas-Orlando-Anaheim-Mission Valley-San Francisco- Upcoming:
  • Worldmark Affiliates: Los Flamingos Villas
  • RCI Exchanges: Grand Mayan Riviera Maya-Galleon Resort-Hilton NYC-Manhattan Club-Grand Mayan Los Cabos- Upcoming: 08/12 Manhattan Club
  • II Exchanges: WIVC Coral Mar Cancun-Marriott's Newport Coast Villas-Marriott's Grand Chateau-Upcoming:
  • WVR: Grand Desert-Palm Aire-Washington D.C.-Oceanside Pier-Bali Hai Villas-Canterbury-La Belle Maison-Upcoming: 06/12 - Wyndham Canturbury 11/12- Oceanside Pier
  • WVR Affiliates: El Cid La Ceiba

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan 2007 6:32 pm   

GaryCook wrote:
I have never been to St. Thomas but I'm trying to plan for Feb. 08 at Fairfield's Elysian Resort. Anyone ever been there?.

Gary, I have been there. I was just there last December. The resort is on the East end of the island. It is a very high end resort with a great beach. I did not stay there but I toured the resort grounds. It is not to far from the Ritz-Carlton. As for the resort that you mention at the top of this page resorttrades.com has a big article in their magazine on it. A note on the Westin in St John. It is a huge resort located in a small tropical valley. It has a big beach in a bay. The grounds are kept up really nice. The main things to do on St John are swimming and snorkeling. The main city there is really small. Craig :wave: