Register
It is currently Thu 30 Oct 2014 10:03 pm

Wyndham visa to offset maintenance fees a reality?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012 11:57 am   

Has anyone heard of this? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012 12:14 pm   

junecat17 wrote:
Has anyone heard of this? :shock:

Yes .It works With Wyndham points, Im not sure it can be used for Worldmark credits

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012 5:44 pm   

My recollection from the Tug postings was that if you put 70K + on the card you would earn enough to pay Maintenance fees on a 1 week point contract

:drunk: I am tug search challenged tonight :drunk:

Employees of Wyndham serving on the Board of Directors of Worldmark is a conflict of interest Worldmark - SouthShore (3x), Windsor, Big Bear , Pismo Beach , Oceanside, Las Vegas Blvd, Bass Lake, Solvang [Mission Valley, Vancouver, Phoenix] Rented - Sweetbriar, Pardise - Lake Tahoe - Four Seasons Aviara, Powell Place SFO Exchanged - WKORVN - Maui, Westgate Lakes Resort - Orlando, Sedona Summit

Last edited by Rent_Share on Sat 13 Oct 2012 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012 8:14 pm   

Rent_Share wrote:
My recolection from the Tug postings was that if you put 70K + on the card you would earn enough to pay Maintenance fees on a 1 week point contract

:drunk: I am tug search challenged tonight :drunk:

You might have been looking for my post from Dec 2011

I had just returned from National Harbor where a salesman let me know that his VIP customers (the smart ones) managed their accounts so that they didnt have to pay maintenance fees. I was reporting on that experience and my response. The key is to earn Wyndhan Rewards Points which can be exchanged for cash put towards maintenance fees. You earn these points by 1) referring friends to Wyndham timeshares 2)exchanging your timeshare points for rewards points and 3) by using the Wyndham branded Barclays Visa card

Heres the pitch and my response to it

This technique works best (according to the salesman) if you are Platinum VIP because the 50% discount in the express reservation window gives you the use of twice as many points as you own. So you use half your points for your vacations and the other half to exchange for the rewards points.

My response...its fuzzy math.

my maintenance fees on the 600000 points I own is about $3000 a year.....If I was to buy another 1000000 points at National Harbor my additional fees would be about $3500 So now Id have 1600000 points and $6500 a year in maintenance fees.......Now Im currently using 600000 points If I was platinum VIP and used the 50% discount I only need 300000 for my own use, and Id have 1300000 points to convert to rewards points which convert to dollars. If my math is right it would be just over $3100....I dont have any friends, so I cant earn anything by refering them to Wyndham so I have to make up the rest with a Barclays card Every dollar charged gets you 2 rewards points and 10000 rewards points gets you $60 . I figure I need to charge $300000 to earn $3600 toward my maintenance.

So now Ive got it.. I can "earn" my maintenance fees on my 600000 points by buying 1000000 more points and charging $25000 a month on my new credit card

Several problems here 1) no bank will give me a credit card with a $25000 limit and even if they did I dont spend that much in a year let alone in a month and 2) he quoted me a price of $220 per 1000 for the new points, or $220000. I dont have $220000 and even if I did it doesnt make sense to spend $220000 to save $3500 a year...for those that have stuck with me so far, thats a 1.5% return....If I had $220000 why wouldnt I just buy a good muni bond fund and pay my maintenance fees with the interest earned

What ended the presentation is when I told him I paid $500 for my 600000 points and used 252000 of them to make 2 Mardi Gras reservations and collected enough rent to pay all my maintenance fees. leaving 324000 maintenance fee free points for my own use ...I like my strategy better than his

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2012 5:35 am   

'I need to charge $300000 to earn $3600 toward my maintenance"

Using that ratio would result in

Charging 70,000 would generate $840

Employees of Wyndham serving on the Board of Directors of Worldmark is a conflict of interest Worldmark - SouthShore (3x), Windsor, Big Bear , Pismo Beach , Oceanside, Las Vegas Blvd, Bass Lake, Solvang [Mission Valley, Vancouver, Phoenix] Rented - Sweetbriar, Pardise - Lake Tahoe - Four Seasons Aviara, Powell Place SFO Exchanged - WKORVN - Maui, Westgate Lakes Resort - Orlando, Sedona Summit

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2012 7:12 am   

Rent_Share wrote:
'I need to charge $300000 to earn $3600 toward my maintenance"

Using that ratio would result in

Charging 70,000 would generate $840

exactly right

which as you pointed out in your post is about a week at a Wyndham points resort.

Your memory and your arithmetic is perfect. My point is thats a lot of money each month ( a whole lot more than I can spend on a card each month) and that there are probably better credit card programs. (I use a PayPal master card debit card that gives me 1% cash back. Not great but I can use the money anyway I want.

My objection to the way the Barclays Card was presented to me is that the salesman coupled it with a sales pitch to make a retail purchase from Wyndham (and thats just not needed)

I wonder...Is there a similar program for Worldmark owners?

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2012 7:37 am   

ronparise wrote:
I wonder...Is there a similar program for Worldmark owners?

I haven't heard of one. If there is to be one, it will be equally as bad.

Resorts Visited: Anaheim (3), Angels Camp (2), Big Bear, Clear Lake, Coral Baja, Dolphins Cove, Indio, Leavenworth, Marina Dunes, Phoenix South Mountain Preserve, Pismo Beach, Rancho Vistoso, Reno (2), Seattle-Camlin (2), SD Mission Valley, San Diego, SouthShore(12), Solvang, Windsor(11), Wolf Creek II: FSA (2), Hyatt High Sierra(2), Hyatt Highlands Inn, Paradise Village, Marriott Grande Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Grand Residence, Marriott Harbour Lake, Marriott Newport Coast Villas(2), Marriott Summit Watch, Marriott Timber Lodge(16), Monarch Cabo Azul(2), Red Wolf Lodge, Ridge Tahoe(4), Ridge Sierra, Welks Northstar Lodge RCI: Disney Grand Californian, Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace Riviera Maya, Grand Mayan Cabo, Playa Grande, Sheraton Hacienda del Mar

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2012 8:47 am   

They had one that lasted a couple of years but it was discontinued in 2010 according to OC. It was one of thoses sales gimics.

Madge from California