Register
It is currently Thu 19 Jan 2017 4:53 am

2013 Owner's Guide to electing Truly Independent Candidates

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 12:23 pm   

How to get non-Wyndham affiliated Board of Directors candidates elected:

1. Do NOT assign your proxy to the Wyndham controlled Board of Directors (BOD).

Owners who understand the benefits of an independent BOD, yet assign their proxy to WorldMark's Board of Directors are basically shooting themselves in the foot. A proxy given to the Wyndham controlled Board of Directors, is a proxy for Wyndham. The WorldMark BOD votes their proxies for Wyndham executives (and ex-executives).

As long as owners continue to assign their proxy to the Wyndham dominated BOD, seating independent candidates on the BOD will remain a huge hurdle. Independent candidate Matt Shiner would have been elected in 2012 had not the BOD controlled proxies been voted for David Herrick and John Henley, both Wyndham affiliated incumbents.

2. Assign your proxy to WM Owners, Inc.; or Vote only for candidate(s) in the manner recommended by WM Owners, Inc.

Here’s why. WorldMark has no primary election process. Typically there are 2 or 3 candidates for each position being elected. In 2012 for example, there were 7 candidates running for 2 BOD positions. For 2013, there will be 3 positions elected. It has been announced that there are 5 candidates for the 3 positions (fewer than anticipated). The Wyndham controlled BOD determines the number and names of candidates (chosen from interested applicants). A large number of candidates dilutes the owner votes thereby making it difficult for independent candidates to overcome the voting power of the BOD proxies & Developer votes which, in recent years, have been cast for Wyndham affiliated candidates.

Visualize your favorite political party with several candidates running for President. It is likely that your party would never get a candidate elected because votes would be distributed among the various candidates. This is why political parties hold a primary....to unite behind a single candidate and thereby vote for one candidate in the general election.

By assigning your proxy to WM Owners, Inc. you are participating in voting as a block. In effect, you are entrusting your vote to WMOwners, Inc. to be voted with a larger block of votes. WM Owners, Inc. has been a well-respected, significant proxy holder for several years. Depending on strategy, WM Owners, Inc. generally announces its choice for BOD candidate(s) in advance of the annual election. However, for strategic reasons WMOwners, Inc. may not always announce how it will vote its proxies until close to, or after, the annual election.

3. Please participate..

In 2012, only 31% of WorldMark owners voted or assigned their proxy. Your participation is important. There is ample opportunity (owner voting power) available to elect an independent BOD if only owners would participate.

4. Do not discard the WorldMark voting materials that will arrive in the mail in early September. This material will contain information about how to assign your proxy to WMOwners, Inc. electronically; or cast your ballot using the Internet (online) system.

Many owners wait until the last moment to vote online and cannot find their "confirmation number" that allows access to the voting site. For 2013, all ballots and proxies must be received by the by the tabulation company (Computershare) by October 14. If you need a replacement ballot or proxy, September 27 is the last day to request a replacement from the tabulation company.

5. Do not dilute your vote.

Some owners prefer to cast their own vote. However many do not understand that they can cast all of their votes for the same candidate (each owner has either 2 or 3 votes depending on the number of positions being elected). These owners often vote 1 vote for candidate "A", and 1 vote for Candidate "B", etc. In this manner, they have diluted their vote by 50%. This is why it is preferable to allow WMOwners,Inc. to vote our proxies as a block. WMOwners,Inc. will post a recommended voting procedure here prior to election to help guide those owners who prefer to cast their own vote.

6. Assign your proxy! For 2013, you cannot vote unless you have assigned your proxy (or vote in person at the annual meeting).

Many owners do not realize that they can assign, reassign, or rescind their proxy. If you have assigned your proxy to the WorldMark BOD, you can reassign it to WMOwners, Inc.

A newly assigned today supersedes any previously assigned proxy. You do not need to take any further action to rescind a prior proxy assignment.

If you vote in the annual election, your vote overrides any assigned proxy. Therefore, it is recommended that you assign your proxy to WMOwners, Inc. and do not mark (vote for) the names of any candidates.

For 2013 owners must use the official proxy form and ballot form (if voting). These will be mailed or email to all owners in early September.

Last edited by javanite on Sun 14 Sep 2014 6:39 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: unnecessary. NG, added recent info.

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2013 2:52 pm   

In sent in my proxy for 2012. Is it still good for 2013?

Thanks,, Dave

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2013 5:56 pm   

Hi Dave,
If you assigned your proxy for 3 years, it is still good.
Thanks for your proxy.
Jim

Please assign your proxy to WM Owners, Inc. Do NOT assign your proxy to WorldMark's BOD.

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2013 6:44 pm   

Yes I did, thanks Jim.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:04 pm   

Could you please give the deadline date for assigning proxy to WMO Inc.? Also, what happens if ownership is transferred between proxy assignment and cast of ballot?

Arrow Point, Avenue Plaza, Bear lake, Canadian, Clear Lake, Depoe Bay, Discovery Bay, Gleneden, Indio, La Cascada(+A), Las Vegas-Boulevard, Leavenworth, Midway, National Harbor(+A) Oceanside, Palm Springs, Rancho Vistoso, Running Y, San Diego-Mission Valley, San Francisco, Santa Fe, Schooner Landing, Seaside, St. George, Steamboat Springs, Victoria, West Yellowstone

Last edited by Benyu2010 on Mon 10 Jun 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:42 pm   

Ben,
The sooner the better. Just click on the bottom message
of this reply and it will give you the directions.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Jim

Please assign your proxy to WM Owners, Inc. Do NOT assign your proxy to WorldMark's BOD.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:48 pm   

What happens if ownership is transferred prior to actual cast of ballot? and between cast of ballot and counting? Is ballot cast by WMO inc if new owner takes no action to the assignment?

Arrow Point, Avenue Plaza, Bear lake, Canadian, Clear Lake, Depoe Bay, Discovery Bay, Gleneden, Indio, La Cascada(+A), Las Vegas-Boulevard, Leavenworth, Midway, National Harbor(+A) Oceanside, Palm Springs, Rancho Vistoso, Running Y, San Diego-Mission Valley, San Francisco, Santa Fe, Schooner Landing, Seaside, St. George, Steamboat Springs, Victoria, West Yellowstone

Last edited by Benyu2010 on Mon 10 Jun 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2013 9:04 pm   

Ben,
I did not mention that the fill in form is still good for 2013.
If you are going to sell the account, the ballot will not count for the election.
You would only want to assign your proxy for an account you will be keeping through
the election which becomes official at 5:00 pm on October 17 2013 at the annual
meeting in Seattle.
It would be best if you assign your proxy by October 1st.
Jim

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul 2013 3:01 pm   

Benyu2010 wrote:
What happens if ownership is transferred prior to actual cast of ballot? and between cast of ballot and counting? Is ballot cast by WMO inc if new owner takes no action to the assignment?

To vote in the annual election, you must be a WorldMark owner on the "date of record" which is 60 days prior to the election.

Voting materials are mailed (or emailed) in early September to owners as of the "date of record".

Do not throw the voting material away when it arrives...as many owners do. Either Assign your proxy to WM Owners, Inc. or vote.

If you choose to vote rather than to assign your proxy to WM Owners, Inc. hopefully you will vote for the candidate recommended by WM owners, Inc. and vote all 3 votes for the same candidate.

If you do not understand the WorldMark election process (which is very different from federal/state election procedures) , it is better to assign your proxy to WM Owners, Inc.

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jul 2013 11:01 am   

How does the "WorldMark Board of Directors Newsletter" dated July 2013 and titled "Here We GROW Again" which I just received this morning impact the next election? These new election procedures seem designed to work against the run-of-the-mill WorldMark owners of which we are one.

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jul 2013 11:01 pm   

inch wrote:
How does the "WorldMark Board of Directors Newsletter" dated July 2013 and titled "Here We GROW Again" which I just received this morning impact the next election? These new election procedures seem designed to work against the run-of-the-mill WorldMark owners of which we are one.
The new procedure will require some more reading and clarification. This was news to everyone, so each one of us needs to pull together and flesh it out. There is a copy of the letter for easy reference in this forum. I'll go look and get you the link.
You are right it appears that it will work against the independent candidates. Very short notice was no doubt part of the plan. imho

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013 10:08 pm   

:roll: Is the voting for the BOD over for 2013 yet????

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013 10:14 pm   

lfrederick3333 wrote:
:roll: Is the voting for the BOD over for 2013 yet????

The candidates have just been announced....we should receive our materials soon and voting will not be done until October.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013 8:29 pm   

Is there any way to determine if you have a current proxy for a particular member? Me? :) How would I find out?

Ryan

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013 9:18 pm   

jjnryan wrote:
Is there any way to determine if you have a current proxy for a particular member? Me? :) How would I find out?

Ryan

It should be if you submitted a copy or forwarded your ballot/proxy to WMOwners then it is possible to find it. Do you recall what year you submitted it?
I am not involved with it so far this year but I can find out if one of the other 2 or 3 working on it can find it.
Please send me your name, both names if there are two on the contract via PM here on the forum. It's located in the lower left corner.

Kappaa Shores, Gleneden x11, Surfside, Coral Baja x4, Seaside x25, Depoe Bay x21, Birch Bay x3, Camlin x8,(WM Owners meeting) Leavenworth, Victoria x2, Discovery Bay x3, Canadian, Angels Camp, Solvang, Pismo Beach, Kehei, Indio, Eagle Crest RV, Long Beach x2, Running Y, Schooners Landing, WM Victoria, Bass Lake, LasVegas, St George, Midway, West Yellowstone, McCall, Inn at 7th Heaven Other: Disney Old Key West, SunRiver, Oahu, Kona, Embarcadero x3, Cape Kiwanda, UpComing 2015 Depoe Bay ;)
I have stayed at almost 40 resorts since I became a WMtC owner in 2000. I have many beautiful memories with family and friends. My account was 12,000 until 4 yrs ago. Now I only have 5k so vacations are fewer & farther apart.