Register
It is currently Tue 23 Sep 2014 10:23 am

BEWARE!!! ResortNet2 wireless security issue!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul 2013 8:00 am   

I went to register for internet service through ResortNet2 while at Running Y in Klamath Falls about 10 days ago, and noted with dismay that the registration and payment pages of their site are not encrypted and do not use the HTTPS protocol. This means that anyone entering information on these pages is engaging in a huge security risk with their personal and credit card data. When I called the ResortNet2 tech support line, they said their servers are secure for their clients once you register, but they couldn't explain why their registration and payment pages were not. They suggested that if I wasn't comfortable sending my credit card info online to them, then I should request a voucher number from the resort office. I did this, but as I understand it, this means that my fellow WorldMark owners are indirectly paying for my (and anyone else who receives a voucher) internet usage while at our resorts.

I contacted Owner Services about this and they are looking into it, but apparently this has been going on for some time. Any owner/attorney's out there that would like to apply some pressure to help fix this issue?

Life is too short to drink bad wine! (Author unknown)

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul 2013 9:28 am   

I set things up at a resort via their telephone number... have they stopped that?

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul 2013 9:37 am   

I don't know. They (ResortNet2 tech support) didn't suggest that I could, and I didn't ask. They only said if I didn't want to supply my cc info online then I should contact the resort management for a voucher number....

Life is too short to drink bad wine! (Author unknown)

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013 9:28 pm   

I don't think this is correct. I was at Depoe Bay this weekend and bought 1 year of resort2 network. Everything was encrypted but it was a using a self-signed certificate. They should be using a certificate authority but self-signed is better than nothing. I wouldn't rate the security risk as high.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2013 7:27 am   

sparty wrote:
Everything was encrypted but it was a using a self-signed certificate. They should be using a certificate authority but self-signed is better than nothing. I wouldn't rate the security risk as high.

If your credit card company offers secure online virtual card numbers I usually use one of those for this type of thing, of course you would have had to generate some before leaving. I know Discover card offers these, once used by a merchant, that is the only merchant that can use that number.

Big Bear; Bass Lake; Oceanside; Las Vegas Blvd; Las Vegas Spencer St; Marina Dunes; Angels Camp; Solvang; Running Y; Windsor; St. George; Palm Springs; Indio; Southshore-Tahoe; Kihei; Mission Valley SD; West Yellowstone; Seaside; Depoe Bay; Phoenix South Mountain; Disney:AKV; Marriott:NCV; WVO:National Harbor; Hyatt:Wild Oak Ranch; Rim Village:Moab;